Grado Fan Club!
Jul 10, 2021 at 4:32 PM Post #48,092 of 65,636
It is the GS1Ke - 50mm.
I lack the right wording
wait…
C9068231-9E5C-47B2-A78F-4C9875447A1F.jpeg

RS1e

This is what I meant with step or stage. Is flange a better word?!
you need to measure from the outer pointer.

Jul 10, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #48,093 of 65,636
Got some G cush to put on my GH2, somehow enjoying them more than I did before! It seems to have toned the bass down just a notch, they sound pretty much perfect now to my ears. I’ve been thinking about getting the GS3000e but not sure how much better they’d be than this…?

A happy snap just because :)A0AFFEEA-4AA5-42E4-8858-F2A3BC703BAC.jpeg

Listening to The Doors original album and it’s never sounded better.
This is thinly way I listen to my GH1 & GH2.
I had the opportunity to compare both, the GS3000e & mt GH2 w/Grado G cushions, and my preference was the GH2.

Jul 11, 2021 at 9:26 AM Post #48,094 of 65,636
I’ve been thinking about getting the GS3000e but not sure how much better they’d be than this…?
The flagships have different tuning, most notably by moving the midbass hump from 90hz to 150hz. The drivers are also more sub-bass capable and can do 30hz with some authority, something my Hemp couldn't really do even with heavy EQ. But while that midbass hump shift could be considered by some to add some nice warmth, others may perceive it as being less clear. Best to audition it to see if it works for you.

Jul 11, 2021 at 10:08 AM Post #48,095 of 65,636
The flagships have different tuning, most notably by moving the midbass hump from 90hz to 150hz. The drivers are also more sub-bass capable and can do 30hz with some authority, something my Hemp couldn't really do even with heavy EQ. But while that midbass hump shift could be considered by some to add some nice warmth, others may perceive it as being less clear. Best to audition it to see if it works for you.

Sounds good! Only way to audition for me is to buy, no local stores where I live. My just bite the bullet…

Edit: ordered a pair with XLR 😬 hopefully they’re not up for sale here in a couple of weeks :p

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #48,096 of 65,636
Apologies.
I know I mentioned I would compare the 325x to my 325is, GH1 & GH2, but unfortunately I only had a few days with them and I happened to be busy so I barley even had the time to listen to them. Also this 325x only had +/-20hrs burn in so they still needed to open up. My initial impressions are that they sounded smooth, very enjoyable and much different in tonality from the 325is which could be due to the flat pads (which I'm not a fan of) but non the less an overall pleasurable sound which I'm sure many would enjoy. I never had an issue with Grado cables, but I definitely think the new cable is a very nice added bonus and didn't seem to feel any heavier as I've read some mention, but rather I thought it felt lighter. Once again, apologies for not being able to do any comparisons the timing just wasn't right.for me.

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:21 PM Post #48,098 of 65,636
FYI, there is a plethora of PS500's, mostly the -e version for sale in the Classified, and most below $400. It's a great time to upgrade!!

Jul 12, 2021 at 1:32 PM Post #48,100 of 65,636
FYI, there is a plethora of PS500's, mostly the -e version for sale in the Classified, and most below $400. It's a great time to upgrade!!
Yes! I found a pair of PS500e last week in the classifieds. This is my first pair of higher end Grados and so far I'm impressed. Will probably add an all-wood Grado in the future,

Jul 12, 2021 at 2:01 PM Post #48,101 of 65,636
It’s funny, ever since I finally replaced my SR60 pads recently, I’ve been been listening to the SR60s almost exclusively, essentially rediscovering them and realizing how great they are for a sub-$100 headphone.

Well, I just put on my Hemp again and wow, it’s shocking how different they sound.

When I just started listening to the Hemp, for the first 5 seconds, I was thinking, ”Wait, are these less clear than the SR60s? The vocals sound recessed and almost hidden behind a layer!” but then I quickly realized I was actually hearing two things with the Hemp: bass and depth.

As much as I love the SR60s, they A) lack bass compared to the Hemp, and B) are thinner and less full-bodied. For both those reasons, the vocals stand out and are right in your face, which can be fun, but the Hemp are clearly the better headphone. They just have more dimensionality and body to the sound. The SR60s are excellent, but next to the Hemp, they’re kind of thin by comparison. They almost sound too clean, whereas the Hemp add that extra layer of texture and body to the sound.

It’s also odd how much louder the Hemp are. I mentioned that earlier in the thread and some people hypothesized that that it’s because of the F pads and the way the driver sits closer to your ear, but I don’t think that explains it. When I’m listening on my iPad via the Apple dongle, it takes a full three clicks of the volume button to get the SR60 up to the volume of the Hemp. That’s a pretty significant difference.

Jul 12, 2021 at 3:55 PM Post #48,102 of 65,636
It’s funny, ever since I finally replaced my SR60 pads recently, I’ve been been listening to the SR60s almost exclusively, essentially rediscovering them and realizing how great they are for a sub-$100 headphone.

Well, I just put on my Hemp again and wow, it’s shocking how different they sound.

When I just started listening to the Hemp, for the first 5 seconds, I was thinking, ”Wait, are these less clear than the SR60s? The vocals sound recessed and almost hidden behind a layer!” but then I quickly realized I was actually hearing two things with the Hemp: bass and depth.

As much as I love the SR60s, they A) lack bass compared to the Hemp, and B) are thinner and less full-bodied. For both those reasons, the vocals stand out and are right in your face, which can be fun, but the Hemp are clearly the better headphone. They just have more dimensionality and body to the sound. The SR60s are excellent, but next to the Hemp, they’re kind of thin by comparison. They almost sound too clean, whereas the Hemp add that extra layer of texture and body to the sound.

It’s also odd how much louder the Hemp are. I mentioned that earlier in the thread and some people hypothesized that that it’s because of the F pads and the way the driver sits closer to your ear, but I don’t think that explains it. When I’m listening on my iPad via the Apple dongle, it takes a full three clicks of the volume button to get the SR60 up to the volume of the Hemp. That’s a pretty significant difference.
Hemp's louder probably because its higher impedance pulls more volume out of the amplification circuit.

Jul 12, 2021 at 6:37 PM Post #48,103 of 65,636
I have just received my first pair of grados, the sr-125x, and they are amazing! Do the pads people are suggesting for the 125e, also work on the 125x?
Hi. Which pads / cushions are on your new 125 . But yes all pads fit , on Amazon geekria worth a go and good prices. The large g cushion , and the so called LL comfort obes.

Jul 12, 2021 at 6:42 PM Post #48,105 of 65,636
Uhm…
I think you meant sensitivity or SPL, not impedance.
First we need exactly the same pads to make a statement.
Then put 1 mW on a B5 or C6 (nearest to 1kHz) towards your phones. Maybe the original SR60 reaches something around 94 dBA, colloquially ‘dB‘ and the Hemp a 100 ‘dB‘.
Which I think is realistic. 6 dB is double the sound pressure, which is nearly double volume.
To gain these 6dB one can reduce the weight of the diaphragm and especially the voice coil. Even a more flexible mounting (see the free edge technology) or changing flexibility/stability on the diaphragm or more diameter can have positive effect. And also a more intelligent geometry can tip the scale.
I am pretty sure John Grado did such things.
Because every one in the business does and will further do.

@Joseph69: too bad you had such little time with the newest 325s.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back