Grado Fan Club!
Jul 8, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #48,061 of 65,637
Hey Grado people,

I also enjoy my Grado headphones a lot maybe because I listen to rock and metal a lot. I had SR80i and SR60i which I then gave to my friend and my sister. Now, I have SR225 (not the i or e series, just 225)
We now want to modify these SR225 and SR60i. Our plan is to change the headbands and the cups. Where can I find the wooden cups dimensions? We’d like to have them made here. Ordering seems so expensive.

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #48,062 of 65,637
If anyone is interested - I have the GH1 and GH2 sealed, unboxed and totally unused that has been in safe storage for a few years now. My goal was to store it for 10 to 20 years as it would probably be quite a collectors item for the Grado fans at that point. Especially the GH1 because of how it was made.. from the wood of a single tree in a Brooklyn community park that shut down. I've been tempted very much to open up the boxes and listen to some good jams but I think I will keep holding for another decade or two!

Jul 8, 2021 at 2:57 PM Post #48,063 of 65,637
Jul 8, 2021 at 7:08 PM Post #48,065 of 65,637
If anyone is interested - I have the GH1 and GH2 sealed, unboxed and totally unused that has been in safe storage for a few years now. My goal was to store it for 10 to 20 years as it would probably be quite a collectors item for the Grado fans at that point. Especially the GH1 because of how it was made.. from the wood of a single tree in a Brooklyn community park that shut down. I've been tempted very much to open up the boxes and listen to some good jams but I think I will keep holding for another decade or two!
It seems a shame that you won't be able to enjoy music on them for all that time, but then again, the idea of a new/unsealed HP1000 all these years later would be pretty tempting...

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:57 AM Post #48,066 of 65,637
In this interview John Grado suggested that the price should've been closer to $500 based on a number of factors (probably material cost and profit margin). Honeymoon's over, they got the buzz they wanted from the $420 meme.
That’s right! Makes me even happier I got in on the deal shortly before the price increase.

Jul 9, 2021 at 1:56 AM Post #48,067 of 65,637
In this interview John Grado suggested that the price should've been closer to $500 based on a number of factors (probably material cost and profit margin). Honeymoon's over, they got the buzz they wanted from the $420 meme.

That’s strange, I recall seeing another interview (might have been with Rich Grado) where the number cited was $425 and he said that it was worth taking the $5 hit to get down to 420.

Anyways, I’d be very curious to see their cost structure. If they use the same 38 ohm driver from Hemp in the X series, then what are margins like on the SR60X? We’re talking about a $99 headphone and a $469 headphone. The driver is the same, the gimbal, rods, and sliders are the same, and even the cables use the same new braided material, albeit one uses more conductors. The headbands also use that same basic thin sheet of metal, although one is wrapped in leather and the other has a new padding,

So the differences are the housing, the thicker cable, the metal vs plastic mesh, the S vs F pads, and the headband material. That’s not as different as you’d think, given that one is nearly 5 times the price of the other.

Either the SR60X has almost zero margin and is basically a steal, or the Hemp has a very large margin - even at $420.

I’d be very curious to see the Bill of Materials.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:21 AM Post #48,068 of 65,637
Hi folks,
just a detail. Hemp driver 40mm, Prestige drivers (at least 2) now 44mm. Driver diameter, not diaphragm. So Hemp and GH3 are the last 40mm ones.
Edit: I was wrong - there are only 44mm and since e-series 50mm drivers. I‘m sorry.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 6:28 AM Post #48,069 of 65,637
Hi folks,
just a detail. Hemp driver 40mm, Prestige drivers (at least 2) now 44mm. Driver diameter, not diaphragm. So Hemp and GH3 are the last 40mm ones.

Are you sure about this? I vaguely remember reading that the 44mm and 40mm drivers are actually the same driver and that it’s just a difference in where it’s measured from.

Perhaps someone else here can confirm, because I think I read that on this board a while back from one of the resident Grado experts.

Jul 9, 2021 at 6:44 AM Post #48,070 of 65,637
Hi there!
There once was a (hot) discussion in another forum about all the grados have the same diaphragm diameter. So I measured my Grados. It appeared to be possible. RS2e outer driver (plastic housing) diameter 44mm, RS1e and GS1000e 50mm. SR325e, GH3 and eGrado 40 44mm.
But to be honest, I don't own a Hemp ...yet.
Just read reviews/test and listened to at the local dealers showroom.

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2021 at 8:19 AM Post #48,072 of 65,637
Either the SR60X has almost zero margin and is basically a steal, or the Hemp has a very large margin - even at $420.

That seems a little too simplistic. You need to factor in R&D costs. Nobody else used Hemp cups, so they had to come up with the formulation themselves. Hemp comes in fiber boards that look nothing like the Hemp cup, so this wasn't as simple as ordering turning blanks from exotic woods.

Even so, any premium product will have less of its cost into the bill of materials than an entry-level product.

Jul 9, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #48,073 of 65,637
Life is too short, enjoy those headphones! Or sell me the GH2. :)

Jul 9, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #48,074 of 65,637
That’s strange, I recall seeing another interview (might have been with Rich Grado) where the number cited was $425 and he said that it was worth taking the $5 hit to get down to 420.

Anyways, I’d be very curious to see their cost structure. If they use the same 38 ohm driver from Hemp in the X series, then what are margins like on the SR60X? We’re talking about a $99 headphone and a $469 headphone. The driver is the same, the gimbal, rods, and sliders are the same, and even the cables use the same new braided material, albeit one uses more conductors. The headbands also use that same basic thin sheet of metal, although one is wrapped in leather and the other has a new padding,

So the differences are the housing, the thicker cable, the metal vs plastic mesh, the S vs F pads, and the headband material. That’s not as different as you’d think, given that one is nearly 5 times the price of the other.

I’d be very curious to see the Bill of Materials.
The drivers are not the same. While the precise differences are not known to anyone but Grado, they have mantioned things like the voice coil, diaphragm shape, etc being different from model to model. There is also the "de-stressed" treatment they use with their drivers. The SR60e driver was not de-stressed but the SR80e driver was for example and I believe they can repeat the treatment more for higher end models.

These differences still might not "justify" the price difference to some, but I doubt their margins are any different from any other high end headphone manufacturers.

Jul 9, 2021 at 7:32 PM Post #48,075 of 65,637
Hi folks,

The Hemp and 325x driver diameters are identical:

Screen Shot 2021-07-10 at 9.31.23 am.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back