Grado Fan Club!
Jun 24, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #47,911 of 65,637
Yep, ordered the Geekria G Cush pads along with the headphones as I believe they work really well.

Amazon UK has various third party sellers selling them for £330 or so. Not sure if they ship to Europe but worth a look.
ordered 325x from amazon us in may. received a defect pair 325x. returned them. got my money back. and now they are out of stock

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:32 AM Post #47,912 of 65,637
Quite a few retailers in the UK have them in stock at £330, not that that helps you unfortunately.

Jun 24, 2021 at 6:40 AM Post #47,914 of 65,637
SR325X’s arrived and they’re going to take some getting used to with these stock pads. Having always had over-ear’s, this on-ear fit seems odd. Like they’re not secure and puts me on edge a little. Also these pads are like slabs. Very scratchy, which I’ve never had before even with X2HR’s which people said were scratchy.

That said, I should be getting Geekria G pads delivered today so I’ll give those a try tomorrow.

The sound is a lot better than I expected. I expected these to be a lot more sparkly and piercing treble, even with it toned down a little. But no issues at all with the treble. The bass is really nice, going deeper than I expected.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #47,916 of 65,637
Let me preface this by saying that i use these headphones with a Chord Mojo which in itself has a very lean detailed and laid back sound. A more "boomier" DAC/Amp like the OPPO HA-2 would shift my findings. For example the White does not sound all too great with it. Everything is say here is of course IMHO!

Treble

Most -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Least
SR325e -> RS2e -> PS500e -> White

The SR325e has that kind of treble which tickles you ear. Tiniest details and fine dynamics get to be heard. With certain amps and sound materials this can become annoying. With my Chord Mojo it is however very enjoyable. The RS2e is pretty much the same but one notch subdued. Details are still there but less "in your face". PS500e and White are another notch down to a level which non-Grado fans might even consider "normal". It's no surprise, none of these Grados lack treble. They are all great treble-wise to my ears.

Mids

Least -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Most

The White is the master of mids. It makes me hear new details in songs i thought i knew well. The PS500e is similar but one or two notches behind. Compared to those two the SR325e nearly has no mids. The RS2e sits between the latter two. My favourites for mids are the White and the PS500e. Especialy the White is great for observing voices.

Bass

Least -> -> -> -> -> -> -> Most

Most and least also goes hand in hand with "detailed", the more bass the less detailed. The SR325e being the extreme with its very detailed "bodyless" bass and the White being the other extreme with lots of bass body but not much detail. The PS500e is my favourite, it has a very punchy bass full of body, still has some details and even some sub bass. RS2e and PS500e are my favourite in this department, depending on sound material.

Soundstage and overall feeling

If you like a big soundstage then the White is for you. The sound also feels less "direct", probably because the drivers are further away from your ears. The White puts you inside a cozy tube-y world where nothing is annoying. It's great for relaxed listening but not so detail-orientated in the highs and lows and focusses on the mids. But it doesn't matter, overall it's a great package for fun listening.

The soundstage of the other three is pretty much the same, it's still a reasonable amount of separation but not as much as with the White. The sound seems more direct, you are closer to what's happening. The SR325e is a super finicky magnifying glass for sounds, often you get more details than you need. But it is enjoyable in its own rights. The RS2e is a reasonable and nicer version of the SR series and so is the PS500e which adds more mids and a punchy deep bass to the mix.

So which one is the best?

Listening to only one of these headphones for some days makes me get used to it and not miss anything. They all have that Grado sound and which one you choose in the end depends on your personal tastes, your DAC/Amp and the sound material you like.

Do i need more than one Grado headphone?

I don't think so. But i think you want more than one :)

If i could only have one of my Grados i'd choose the PS500e. Or the RS2e, depending on my mood.
If i had to give one of them away it would probably be the SR325e. But then i would lose the ear-tickling highs which only the SR line has.

So do i feel like i have too many Grados? No, not really. I want to keep them all. But i am pretty sure i won't add any more. Even though that GH2 does look very nice... Fortunately i am immune to the wiles of the Hemp as i can't stand those flat pads on my ears :)

Thanks for reading! Feel free to ask questions. I like to geek out over things i like.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 7:04 AM Post #47,917 of 65,637
I’m really not getting on with these F Cush pads. I’ve moved the headphones around and no matter what, it just doesn’t feel comfortable at all.

I also picked up the Geekria G pads but they’re not great either. They take away so much bass, vocals too distant and treble too spiky.

So I guess the next option is 414’s modded or L Cush cups (whether that’s official or Geekria etc) I guess.

Jun 25, 2021 at 7:24 AM Post #47,918 of 65,637
At first my Mojo sounded lean and laid back, after a couple years I upgraded the generic USB cable to an audiophile one and also added a Jitterbug - this made an enormous difference. Before doing the upgrade the sound was pretty good; afterward it sounded/sounds world class and worthy of all the praise heaped on it.

The Grados that I own are the SR225e, the SR80e, the GS1000i and the GR10e. The 225e is for me an important step up in musicality over the SR80e. I owned the 325e but it broke a few times, replaced it with the SR225e and never looked back - much physically lighter and the sound was in the same ballpark and a bit more to my taste.

The 225e has been my goto but lately the 1000i is getting more playtime. Also, while the GR10e doesn't have the best layering it is to me excellentl is in its musicality,
I listen mostly to art rock, pop and indie/experimental music which doesn't usually have much layering. The GS1000i is superb in every respect and is the
one I reach for when I want the best, most lifelike and accurate reproduction - though I go through periods of using each as they are all really enjoyable in their own way.

Why I love my Grados is that for me they express & convey the artist's intent and vision for me better than others, I know this sounds cliche. The GR10e doesn't get a lot of mention here but I think it should!

I am awaiting reviews on the SR225X as for me the SR225e was the best value in the Grado line.

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2021 at 9:31 AM Post #47,919 of 65,637
I’m really not getting on with these F Cush pads. I’ve moved the headphones around and no matter what, it just doesn’t feel comfortable at all.

I also picked up the Geekria G pads but they’re not great either. They take away so much bass, vocals too distant and treble too spiky.

So I guess the next option is 414’s modded or L Cush cups (whether that’s official or Geekria etc) I guess.
You could also try the so called comfy LL geekria doughnut ones at about £11. If you want the yellow sennheiser 414 ones ...I went direct to sennheissr Web site and picked up 2 sets about £6 each. Or there is one place on eBay UK which has a festival at £6 ish. Chord audio or something.

Jun 25, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #47,920 of 65,637
Anyone here know of an upgrade to the Grado GR10e? Loved the mids on those especially vocals. Thanks.
Nothing at the moment. Right now Grado is working hard meeting the demand for the new x series.
I have the 325x and expect to be hearing a 225x in the next week or two. I expect it to be impressive too.

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #47,923 of 65,637
Haven't posted in a while, but thought I'd share my recent purchase. I own or have owned, in order of acquisition, the SR80i, SR325is, RS2i, SR325, PS1000e, HF3.

Went to Florida on vacation and stopped in a little store in Naples which had the entire "e" Prestige series and a GH2. Brought along my HF3 for comparison to the GH2, which the owner was fine with me A/B'ing.

The GH2, on short comparison, offered a warmer, more head-filling bass with slightly subdued, yet more detailed treble than the HF3. It sounded like the absolute best version of that sound profile I've heard.

But out of curiosity, I tried the SR225e, one I've always been interested in, as reportedly a more tame take on the brightness and detail of the 325 models. After the HF3, the bass remained with the 225e, but took a backseat to sparkling, in-your-face treble and mids, with a slightly more centralized soundstage. But as bright as it was, I never felt it was too much -- only that perhaps it wouldn't be very forgiving with more strident music.

I don't know if there's such a thing as an exemplary headphone of the Grado "house sound" outside of reports here that perhaps the buttoned RS1 or the RS2e captures that sentiment. But I imagined that such a bright, detailed, exciting set with crispy upper midrange had to be close. I chose the 225e, since to me the GH2 represented (vs the HF3), more of the same, even if more refined.

Picking up the 225e knowing full well that a 225x exists, I'm perfectly happy! Though still curious about a comparison between the two.

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:45 PM Post #47,924 of 65,637
Haven't posted in a while, but thought I'd share my recent purchase. I own or have owned, in order of acquisition, the SR80i, SR325is, RS2i, SR325, PS1000e, HF3.

Went to Florida on vacation and stopped in a little store in Naples which had the entire "e" Prestige series and a GH2. Brought along my HF3 for comparison to the GH2, which the owner was fine with me A/B'ing.

The GH2, on short comparison, offered a warmer, more head-filling bass with slightly subdued, yet more detailed treble than the HF3. It sounded like the absolute best version of that sound profile I've heard.

But out of curiosity, I tried the SR225e, one I've always been interested in, as reportedly a more tame take on the brightness and detail of the 325 models. After the HF3, the bass remained with the 225e, but took a backseat to sparkling, in-your-face treble and mids, with a slightly more centralized soundstage. But as bright as it was, I never felt it was too much -- only that perhaps it wouldn't be very forgiving with more strident music.

I don't know if there's such a thing as an exemplary headphone of the Grado "house sound" outside of reports here that perhaps the buttoned RS1 or the RS2e captures that sentiment. But I imagined that such a bright, detailed, exciting set with crispy upper midrange had to be close. I chose the 225e, since to me the GH2 represented (vs the HF3), more of the same, even if more refined.

Picking up the 225e knowing full well that a 225x exists, I'm perfectly happy! Though still curious about a comparison between the two.
What was the place called where you listened to the headphones?

Jun 25, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #47,925 of 65,637
The old E series are now selling for US prices. Should I pick up one of these instead of a new x?
325e+60x . Instead of a 325x to 580$

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back