Grado Fan Club!
Apr 23, 2021 at 7:11 PM Post #46,966 of 65,581
Apr 23, 2021 at 7:18 PM Post #46,967 of 65,581
The Grados are supposed to have matched drivers in terms of sound output to within 0.05dB. So if there’s a significant mismatch, it’s a problem that should be addressed.

This is about as much of a marketing gimmick as the "5hz-50khz" frequency response stat. It's matched to 1 specific frequency (not sure what it is), and anything past 2khz is a crapshoot as to whether or not there's accurate matching. I've listened to three other different GS3000e units and two of them had treble deviations I found unacceptable. Rtings' own Hemp unit had a significant mismatch at 3800hz.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2021 at 10:16 PM Post #46,968 of 65,581
Are they 'on ear' or do they fit around your ears?
seat on the ears like bowls...the material is the same as those from beyerdynamic pads.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2021 at 6:08 PM Post #46,969 of 65,581
Just received headband and gimbals from Shipibo:) Looks absolutelygreat, but surprisingly the comfort appears better, maybe due to the way the positions can be "locked"
1619302075518.jpeg

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #46,971 of 65,581
I had a bit of a runny nose last week, and everything sounded stuffy and muddy. It's all cleared up now, and everything sounds great again! That's real burn-in :stuck_out_tongue:

Apr 26, 2021 at 10:44 AM Post #46,972 of 65,581
Was super close to buying retail but ended up speaking with Valens7 last week. He sold me his Hemps, so I should have my cans sometime this week :gs1000smile:
Now I can finally do my AB comparison with my ms2i. Then I will sell off which one I like less(will be a sad day if I decide to let go of the ms2i).

Apr 26, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #46,973 of 65,581
I had a bit of a runny nose last week, and everything sounded stuffy and muddy. It's all cleared up now, and everything sounds great again! That's real burn-in :stuck_out_tongue:
COVID quarantining has shown me how much I'm actually allergic to our dog. A lot. Wasn't such an issue when I was out of the house most of the day.

Allegra has done wonders for my headphone appreciation. :)

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #46,974 of 65,581
I'm trying to decide whether to do a detachable cable mod on my Hemps to add a flush 3.5mm mono jack on either cup so that I can use a balanced/detachable cable.

Do you guys think this would add or detract from the Hemps? Let's put it this way - would you prefer to buy a (mint) pair with or without detachable cables?

Apr 26, 2021 at 5:17 PM Post #46,975 of 65,581
I'm trying to decide whether to do a detachable cable mod on my Hemps to add a flush 3.5mm mono jack on either cup so that I can use a balanced/detachable cable.

Do you guys think this would add or detract from the Hemps? Let's put it this way - would you prefer to buy a (mint) pair with or without detachable cables?

I might be the minority here, but if I were buying a pair second hand I would go for the one with the attached cable since you have to kind of rip the headphone apart to make the cable detachable.

I would personally do a "pigtail" detachable cable mod by putting the 3.5mm female connectors on the cables coming out of the cups. This way you can go balanced without ripping the headphones apart.

Apr 26, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #46,977 of 65,581

A near mint stock pair is going to have more collectible value, but a modded pair for rocking out still would have decent value.

I'd be more likely to buy the modded pair myself because I have a nice stock pair already.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:11 PM Post #46,978 of 65,581

I would guess that any modification that requires dis-assembly would disqualify the term "mint", but I could be mistaken.

Apr 26, 2021 at 9:31 PM Post #46,979 of 65,581

This pair isn't mine but recently modded by Shipibo. It is possible and would certainly benefit if you were to do balanced. It might hurt resale value depending, wouldn't be "original". If you are not going to sell in the future, I see why not? Your cans, you do you.

I am contemplating this myself.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210426-182723_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20210426-182723_Messenger.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Apr 26, 2021 at 9:46 PM Post #46,980 of 65,581
This pair isn't mine but recently modded by Shipibo. It is possible and would certainly benefit if you were to do balanced. It might hurt resale value depending, wouldn't be "original". If you are not going to sell in the future, I see why not? Your cans, you do you.

I am contemplating this myself.
That's a really neat job - I think I will go down this route actually! I'd love to know what female mono jacks they use on the cups - do they have an account here on head-fi?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back