Grado Fan Club!
Feb 16, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #45,496 of 65,647
PXL_20210215_212149632.jpg
Don't buy on amazon. Here in Holland you can buy from local stores online. I bought a couple of grado's in Den Mark also.
Although I have stated I was not a big fan of the PS500 (original non-'e') i do think they are easily the most beutiful headphones I have had. The combination of aluminiumwith the wooden inner core, the grilles and the leather looked and felt very special. If i had the funds I would give the the PS500'e' a try but totally happy with RS2e for now. One of the best audio purchase I've made.

Feb 16, 2021 at 1:19 PM Post #45,498 of 65,647
So I pulled the trigger on the magni 3+/ modi 3 (schiit stack.) to complement my GH3/ Hemp. What should I expect in regards to improvements over my usb c iPad dongle or MacBook headphone jack?

I notice subtle differences in the sound between those two devices. I think the dongle is a little smoother but more congested sounding, MacBook is wider, cleaner, more sub bass but can be a bit too bright with the gh3. It seems the schiit stack is a good pairing for Grado headphones, in that Grado even recommends them. I guess I’m just worried that they might resemble the MacBook, and the MacBook while being “better” than the iPad dongle in terms of sounding more open it makes the relatively warm GH3 sound piercing.

If anyone has any schiit stack impressions to share I would love to hear them!

I cannot say for Schiit stack, but MacBook (reasonably recent versions like 2017 onwards) has one of the best (if not *the* best) DAC among notebook/laptop computers. At least to my ears. :)

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #45,499 of 65,647
I cannot say for Schiit stack, but MacBook (reasonably recent versions like 2017 onwards) has one of the best (if not *the* best) DAC among notebook/laptop computers. At least to my ears. :)
Additionally, configuring a Mac to play cleanly (ie without resampling etc) is much more straightforward than using a Windows PC, which is a pita at best. PC audio is miles away from plug n play.

Feb 16, 2021 at 3:51 PM Post #45,500 of 65,647
i had the Magni 3/Modi 3 and they were great for my PS500E and SR80. If you only have Grados then these would be all you need. i ended up moving over to Ifi Zen Stack (Zen Dac/ Zen Can) Because i have other headphones that require more power but this stack is even better in my opinion.
Note that the current Magni 3+ has a lot more power than the Magni 3 it replaced. Not that Grados need much power, just saying.

"Magni 3+ and Magni Heresy raise the bar even higher for affordable headphone amps, with by far the highest output power in their price class–at least 200% higher than any competitor."
https://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 4:23 PM Post #45,503 of 65,647
Are there any good all in one dac/amp for Grado? Ifi idsd?

Feb 16, 2021 at 5:00 PM Post #45,505 of 65,647
Are there any good all in one dac/amp for Grado? Ifi idsd?
I'm pretty damn impressed with my marantz, though its been recently discontinued I believe, in the basis there are very few places that have any stock left with a this product is no longer available message. I picked mine up for £550 so around £200 cheaper than its starting price back in 2015.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:29 PM Post #45,508 of 65,647
Received a pair of the hemp today. Amazing frequency response without any EQ. I am not usually a fan of the flat pads but will keep listening. Definitely a little different than my other Grados but a welcome addition :)
I of course instantly adjusted the headband so that I have very little pressure on my ears. Why don't other headphone manufacturers make bands that can be bent to a customer's liking? It seems so easy and makes all the Grados very comfortable to wear once you have them bent to your liking.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:32 PM Post #45,509 of 65,647
I of course instantly adjusted the headband so that I have very little pressure on my ears. Why don't other headphone manufacturers make bands that can be bent to a customer's liking? It seems so easy and makes all the Grados very comfortable to wear once you have them bent to your liking.

A material that's pliable enough to bend into whatever shape you want is one that isn't going to last terribly long compared to one that holds its shape even when put under stress. Additionally, you'll have to constantly readjust it as the general wear and tear of usage causes it to loosen up, shortening its lifespan even more.

As a rule, if nearly no one does something that seems easy and obvious, the reason they don't is probably also easy and obvious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back