Grado Fan Club!
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #45,452 of 65,622
Can you guys help me understand why a dac and/or amp would be a good thing?

I'm fairly new to the headphone world but I've played guitar for years and tube amps rule that arena for the specific signature they add to the sound (the science of which is rather complex). So I can imagine how a tube amp might liven up the signal before reaching your headphones. But I'm noticing that most headphone amps seem to be solid state. So how are these improving the sound in any way, other than making it louder?

Same question about dacs... how is an expensive standalone dac superior to the device inside my phone? Does it have to do with how accurately the digital stream is converted into sound waves? The sound output accuracy of phones and computers doesn't seem like a "spec" anyone cares about, so I'm really confused as to why a separate dac is desirable at all..

I only have the GW100s so far, which I believe essentially have an onboard dac bypassing the one in the device. So a separate dac or amp are out of the picture entirely unless I use them wired right? I love the sound as is, I'm just wondering how this stuff works. As I explore the headphone world I am seeing tons of articles with subjective claims (warmer, richer, more dynamic!) and sales pitches for various pricey devices without much logical support.
The thing to bear in mind is that many guitar players want distortion from their amp, and tube distortion is harmonic, whereas SS is pretty ugly. Hifi is about no distortion, so a transistor amp is generally going to give good results, though valve amps have their place, but are generally not considered tonally neutral.
There are lots of reasons why a stand alone dac is better than the one in your phone, others in this forum will have a better technical understanding, but one important thing to bear in mind is that its a challenge of the timing of data. The clocks in your phone and accuracy of the timing of the data into and out of the dac won't be particularly sophisticated, which leads to various kinds of distortion to the output audio signal.

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #45,453 of 65,622
I can confirm that. Although this combination lacks a little bit in treble it is fun to listen to.
How does the RS2e + TTVJ flat pads compare to Hemp with its stock flat pads?

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:30 AM Post #45,454 of 65,622
Can you guys help me understand why a dac and/or amp would be a good thing?

I'm fairly new to the headphone world but I've played guitar for years and tube amps rule that arena for the specific signature they add to the sound (the science of which is rather complex). So I can imagine how a tube amp might liven up the signal before reaching your headphones. But I'm noticing that most headphone amps seem to be solid state. So how are these improving the sound in any way, other than making it louder?

Same question about dacs... how is an expensive standalone dac superior to the device inside my phone? Does it have to do with how accurately the digital stream is converted into sound waves? The sound output accuracy of phones and computers doesn't seem like a "spec" anyone cares about, so I'm really confused as to why a separate dac is desirable at all..

I only have the GW100s so far, which I believe essentially have an onboard dac bypassing the one in the device. So a separate dac or amp are out of the picture entirely unless I use them wired right? I love the sound as is, I'm just wondering how this stuff works. As I explore the headphone world I am seeing tons of articles with subjective claims (warmer, richer, more dynamic!) and sales pitches for various pricey devices without much logical support.
dont need for dac/amp with wireless. GW100 sounds best wireless.

GRADO GW100 _(Z Reviews)_ The Best Grado. PERIOD - YouTube

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #45,456 of 65,622
How does the RS2e + TTVJ flat pads compare to Hemp with its stock flat pads?

I don't have the Hemp. But from what i read about it and from what i hear from the RS2e and flat pads i think this could be a similar experience. As i said, i think there is not enough treble for my liking with this combination. It depends on your sound material and taste though. What i can say is that i find the flat pads uncomfortable for my ears. That's a reason why i won't get a Hemp.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:51 AM Post #45,457 of 65,622
Mine works well with my hybrid Schiit Lyr, Maple Audio Mad Ears HD+ full tube, HeadAmp Gilmore Lite mk2, original Cavalli Liquid Carbon, hybrid ALO PanAmp stack and the ALO hybrid Continental v5..
I remember in past that Mad Ears had legendary status with Grado. How do you feel difference with Grado between Mad Ears and your lower price amps like Lyr etc..?

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #45,458 of 65,622
I don't have the Hemp. But from what i read about it and from what i hear from the RS2e and flat pads i think this could be a similar experience. As i said, i think there is not enough treble for my liking with this combination. It depends on your sound material and taste though. What i can say is that i find the flat pads uncomfortable for my ears. That's a reason why i won't get a Hemp.
This is what I suspect. Put L pads on the Hemp and you've got the RS2e, and likewise vice versa with flat pads.
I think if I'm going to invest in another pair of Grados, it will be in something that is a step up from hemp / RS2e. Not sure what that is though!

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:55 AM Post #45,459 of 65,622
This is what I suspect. Put L pads on the Hemp and you've got the RS2e, and likewise vice versa with flat pads.
I think if I'm going to invest in another pair of Grados, it will be in something that is a step up from hemp / RS2e. Not sure what that is though!

HEMP with L pads are not RS2e. They have different membran tuning.

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:05 AM Post #45,462 of 65,622
HEMP with L pads are not RS2e. They have different membran tuning.
I get that, just thinking that the differences between them are diminshed even more, given also that the concensus is that both units are comparable quality. I'm not convinced the differences are big enough to warrant spending another £400+

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #45,463 of 65,622
The clocks in your phone and accuracy of the timing of the data into and out of the dac won't be particularly sophisticated, which leads to various kinds of distortion to the output audio signal.
There is a threshold when a 0 turns into a 1. And there are electrical waves and impulses all around us. And then every bit has to arrive in the DAC on time. There is no second chance to reread the data as the music is streamed.

Even if you don't subscribe to all this, try out some cheaper DACs, amps and cables and you will see... hear what i mean.

Thanks for the info. I really did assume that digital music was a fully binary process, in other words if I'm hearing the music, it must be playing properly. I would have assumed that if even one bit got lost due to bad timing or interference that some error would pop up to tell me. I mean that's how computers usually work. I guess once the signal goes analog it's out of the computer's "hands" so to speak?

Is there a way to analyze the purity or accuracy of your DA conversion or amplification stages?.. i.e. so you could compare your phone's performance to an outboard rig?

Also- if I'm just listening to 320kbps mp3s, are a separate dac and amp still going to make a big difference? In other words, it seems like the weakest link in my signal chain could be the source itself instead of the generic dac and amp in the phone. What is the minimum source quality where outboard gear should be considered?

Thinking about this really opens a can of worms. I guess I need some wired grados, outboard dac/amp, and some lossless flac source files to really hear what I'm missing... if anything.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back