Grado Fan Club!
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:06 PM Post #45,271 of 65,649
the highest end options in grados line up that offer the pads I like are the sr125e and the gh3. Is the gh3 a better headphone than the 125? Which would get me closer to the rs2e sound wise?

Nothing's stopping you from putting the S pads on the RS2e.

The SR125e is easily the least popular model and you won't get much feedback about it. That's because on the surface, it looks exactly like an SR60e but is almost double the price. The SR225e has actual visible changes (different pads, metal grill). The GH3 wasn't popular either because people just went for the GH4 instead.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 8:23 PM Post #45,272 of 65,649
Had a look at these. Link goes to America. Looking on the UK amazon, can't see any like your link shows you .
I found them on the Italian site a while back. Look for them on ebay or some Chinese site. I would not be able to fully enjoy my Grados without those covers.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:44 PM Post #45,273 of 65,649
Guys i pulled the trigger on the GH3. It was going for 275 on eBay. How do these compare to the pristege models? I just want the best sounding “comfy pad” headphone they offer and these are the highest end one they’ve made.

EDIT: GH3 vs SR125?
I like my GH3 marginally better then my other baby Grados (SR60e, 80i, 125i). I wouldn't say they justify the price difference, but they are nice little headphones, lightweight and comfortable.

Feb 4, 2021 at 11:47 PM Post #45,274 of 65,649
On the topic of pads, I've noticed that the difference between Hemp and 325e is significant, when you use both with the same pads. Of course, Grado probably voiced them with the pads, so mixing them might be an unfair comparison, but the Hemp comes alive when you put a slightly raised pad on it. So, playing God for a moment, if I was tuning them, and was attempting a closer "house sound" I wouldn't put the F pad on Hemp, most likely the L pad. In which case, you'd be justified for paying the extra for Hemp over the 325e, as good as the latter are. Smoother, more extended treble and bass, and noticeably more detail and space around instruments.
For many years and several Grado phones, I've had a pair of the SR80 S-Cush pads with the center cutout. I have never cared for the Grado sound with those flatter pads. When the "MS-1000" mod was going around here (adding spacers to your cups plus the G-Cush pads, like the PS1000 at the time), I did the same to my MS1 phones, and wow did the sound really opened up and spread out. As I mentioned in a previous post, my current cup spacers are Barbasol shaving cream plastic tops with the top cut off and wrapped in black gaffer tape inside and out. Fits right over all the standard Grado cups I've owned, and the G pads fit snuggly on the spacers. I cut them 1.5 in deep.

Feb 5, 2021 at 12:27 AM Post #45,275 of 65,649
For many years and several Grado phones, I've had a pair of the SR80 S-Cush pads with the center cutout. I have never cared for the Grado sound with those flatter pads. When the "MS-1000" mod was going around here (adding spacers to your cups plus the G-Cush pads, like the PS1000 at the time), I did the same to my MS1 phones, and wow did the sound really opened up and spread out. As I mentioned in a previous post, my current cup spacers are Barbasol shaving cream plastic tops with the top cut off and wrapped in black gaffer tape inside and out. Fits right over all the standard Grado cups I've owned, and the G pads fit snuggly on the spacers. I cut them 1.5 in deep.

Can you please post a picture about your mod? Or a clue, when it was discussed? This thread is huuuge :)

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:23 AM Post #45,276 of 65,649
It’s kind of weird how Grado never changed the pads, even though they seem to be universally hated.

The S pads are okay (not great, not bad), and I’ve heard the G pads are also viewed in the same way (although I’ve never tried them), but the L pads are just hated. I don’t think anyone likes them. The fact that those are still what’s offered even on the third generation of Grado’s $200, $295, $495, and even $695 headphones just seems bizarre to me.

You’d think Grado would at least provide the G pads on the RS2e and RS1e. But nope.

And if you want to buy them separately, they’re a whopping $50, which seems kind of crazy, given that the L and S are $27.50 and $17.50.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:50 AM Post #45,277 of 65,649
It’s kind of weird how Grado never changed the pads, even though they seem to be universally hated.
It's really not weird because there is nothing wrong with Grado pads and I'm sure they've put extensive R&D into their pads to achieve the best sound possible. I've personally never had an issue with the comfort or sound with Grado pads.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:58 AM Post #45,278 of 65,649
... even though they seem to be universally hated.

You’d think Grado would at least provide the G pads on the RS2e and RS1e. But nope.

I don't hate them, so this alone proves they are not universally hated :)

And you can't just take an RS2e and put G-pads on them as they totally change the sound signature. If Grado wanted to sell all their better models with the Gs they'd have to totally redesign all their model which now have no G-pads.

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #45,279 of 65,649
It's really not weird because there is nothing wrong with Grado pads and I'm sure they've put extensive R&D into their pads to achieve the best sound possible. I've personally never had an issue with the comfort or sound with Grado pads.

Just to clarify, I’m talking about comfort, not sound. My only experience with L pad Grados is brief listens at headphone shops a few times over the years, so I can’t personally comment on lengthy listening sessions. But I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on the RS2e lately, as I’m looking into buy a pair, and virtually every review says that the headphones are excellent with one glaring weak point - the comfort of the pads.

I don't hate them, so this alone proves they are not universally hated :)

And you can't just take an RS2e and put G-pads on them as they totally change the sound signature. If Grado wanted to sell all their better models with the Gs they'd have to totally redesign all their model which now have no G-pads.

Perhaps it doesn’t have to be G pads, but there must be something, right? It’s not an either/or between comfort and sound. The L pads have received a lot of criticism over the years. I remember even back when I bought my SR60 nearly 20 years ago, even back then people would say how the L pads were a distinct drawback in an otherwise excellent headphone line. 20 years later and I believe the pad is unchanged. I would think that there must be some way to preserve the SQ while improving the comfort a little.

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:52 AM Post #45,281 of 65,649
It appears that Grado has quietly retired the PS1000e. It's no longer a product page on their official site, nor can you purchase it on 4ourears.net.

Feb 5, 2021 at 3:54 AM Post #45,282 of 65,649
Just received the Turbulent Labs headband for my heavily-modded SR225i. On a positive note: it looks, feels and smells like a premium product! However, fit is not necessarily better than the cheap stock product: because the new headband is rather excessively padded, it rides high on the head (rods almost fully extended), and the clamping force is significantly reduced due to the headband’s stiffness. Hopefully this will reduce with time.

Feb 5, 2021 at 5:56 AM Post #45,283 of 65,649
Just received the Turbulent Labs headband for my heavily-modded SR225i. On a positive note: it looks, feels and smells like a premium product! However, fit is not necessarily better than the cheap stock product: because the new headband is rather excessively padded, it rides high on the head (rods almost fully extended), and the clamping force is significantly reduced due to the headband’s stiffness. Hopefully this will reduce with time.

If the Turbulent headband adds too much space then you have to adjust the rods i guess. I have those too and i have no problem. I do however also have Shipibo rods and rodblocks which can be adjusted.

Feb 5, 2021 at 6:02 AM Post #45,284 of 65,649
Perhaps it doesn’t have to be G pads, but there must be something, right? It’s not an either/or between comfort and sound. The L pads have received a lot of criticism over the years. I remember even back when I bought my SR60 nearly 20 years ago, even back then people would say how the L pads were a distinct drawback in an otherwise excellent headphone line. 20 years later and I believe the pad is unchanged. I would think that there must be some way to preserve the SQ while improving the comfort a little.

Having tried lots of different pads i know they all change the sound a lot (even if they look very similar to the original L-pads). If Grado wanted to get away from the L-pads they probably had to redesign all the headphones that use them. So i think that's why they don't change them.

And are L-pads really that hated? Sure, they feel different than your average modern faux leather head-cups. But I adapted to them very quickly. I personally feel less comfortable with the S-pads. And G-pads... i don't hate them but they feel very lose to me and i always make sure the headphone sits correctly on my head.

Is it allowed to make online surveys on here? Would be interesting to see how hated L-pads are :)

Feb 5, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #45,285 of 65,649
If the Turbulent headband adds too much space then you have to adjust the rods i guess. I have those too and i have no problem. I do however also have Shipibo rods and rodblocks which can be adjusted.
Just ordered them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back