Grado Fan Club!
Feb 3, 2021 at 8:14 PM Post #45,256 of 65,634
The RS2e or GH2 would have to be very special indeed to better the Hemps right now.

If they are better, they are not night and day better. Heck, you might not even be able to tell the difference at first listen. I do think the RS2e might be just a tad better...and I also think the Hemp is the better looking headphone.

Just enjoy the Hemp.

Feb 3, 2021 at 10:26 PM Post #45,257 of 65,634
The RS2e is the model in the current lineup that is the most expensive of the 40mm driver models. Previous models that had 40mm drivers and were more expensive than the RS2e were the GH1, GH2, GH4, RS1i, GS1000i, and PS1000. All of those have since been discontinued. If you can find a GH2 or GH4, you should really give those a try, as you may find them to be better than the RS2e.

Every current model that is more expensive than the RS2e uses 50mm drivers. The 50mm driver tuning is significantly different, as the midbass hump moves from 90hz to 150hz. This leads to a more full sound at the expense of less of the "toe-tapping" quality, bass impact. If your amp further emphasizes this area, the sound can get muddy real fast.
RS2e and PS500e have, according to Grado' s own website, 44mm drivers?!? . The PS500e is more expensive .

It is also, if anything like the original PS500 and based on my experience, inferior to the RS2e if you like Grado sound.

Feb 4, 2021 at 3:48 AM Post #45,259 of 65,634
1. What’s the difference between the ‘i’, ‘e’, ‘is’ and old no suffix models? For example, I have an old SR60 from almost 20 years ago and I noticed that the current SR60e is MUCH thicker. Does the deeper chamber of the SR60e vs the SR60 make a difference? What other differences are there between the different lines?
When I ordered MS1e, I asked George from Alessandro about difference between original MS1 and newer MS1e with larger chamber. He answered that version with larger chamber have bigger sound which makes sense.

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:27 AM Post #45,260 of 65,634
RS2e and PS500e have, according to Grado' s own website, 44mm drivers?!? . The PS500e is more expensive .

It is also, if anything like the original PS500 and based on my experience, inferior to the RS2e if you like Grado sound.

The PS500e sounds like any other Grado, i.e. it has the Grado sound. Just a little toned down in the highs and more bass and lower mids. So it sounds "fuller" and "warmer". Much like people describe the Hemp (which i haven't had the pleasure to try). But it's a full Grado and by no means inferior.

Feb 4, 2021 at 7:26 AM Post #45,261 of 65,634
I finally joined the world of Grado by getting an SR80e, since my Sundara is only making my neck problem worse. SR80e is simply light as a feather. Although I still prefer the sound signature of Sundara, I don't think my ears would complain much unless I'm determined to do an A/B test. Overall I'm happy with my purchase.

Feb 4, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #45,262 of 65,634
So I’ve found myself getting irritated with the ear pads on the rs2e. I really miss the ear pads on the sr80e. it Looks like pad rolling changes the sound too much.

the highest end options in grados line up that offer the pads I like are the sr125e and the gh3. Is the gh3 a better headphone than the 125? Which would get me closer to the rs2e sound wise?

Feb 4, 2021 at 9:06 AM Post #45,263 of 65,634
Feb 4, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #45,264 of 65,634
The PS500e sounds like any other Grado, i.e. it has the Grado sound. Just a little toned down in the highs and more bass and lower mids. So it sounds "fuller" and "warmer". Much like people describe the Hemp (which i haven't had the pleasure to try). But it's a full Grado and by no means inferior.
Good to know, though I was talking about the original PS500 that I owned briefly.

Had little of the sparkle and air I look for in Grado. A bit dull really... AIMHO 😉

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #45,265 of 65,634
Guys i pulled the trigger on the GH3. It was going for 275 on eBay. How do these compare to the pristege models? I just want the best sounding “comfy pad” headphone they offer and these are the highest end one they’ve made.

EDIT: GH3 vs SR125?

Last edited:
Feb 4, 2021 at 4:40 PM Post #45,266 of 65,634
So I’ve found myself getting irritated with the ear pads on the rs2e. I really miss the ear pads on the sr80e. it Looks like pad rolling changes the sound too much.

the highest end options in grados line up that offer the pads I like are the sr125e and the gh3. Is the gh3 a better headphone than the 125? Which would get me closer to the rs2e sound wise?
Try different earpads, like these https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Earpad-Replacement-Cushion-Earpads/dp/B0155XZLUU/ . They don't change the sound enough to stick with the uncomfortable stock pads of the RS2e. There are also Geekria pads that are like the original SR60/80 flat pads, but have a hole cut in the middle for better sound.

And, probably nothing will get you "close" to the sound of the RS2e -- it's too good.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:04 PM Post #45,267 of 65,634
Try different earpads, like these https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Earpad-Replacement-Cushion-Earpads/dp/B0155XZLUU/ . They don't change the sound enough to stick with the uncomfortable stock pads of the RS2e. There are also Geekria pads that are like the original SR60/80 flat pads, but have a hole cut in the middle for better sound.

And, probably nothing will get you "close" to the sound of the RS2e -- it's too good.
Thing is the Geekria pads are so cheap, it's practical to buy all shapes, if one works then it's been worthwhile. These things are relative, the Geekria L and G pads looks very similar to the OEM pads.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #45,268 of 65,634

I own both the PS500e and the Hemp. They're sort of similar. I think the Hemp is more resolving and has more detail. It's noticeable when I switch between the two. But the signature is, in fact, very similar between the two. Still, I think there's enough of a difference that it's not a waste to own both of them.

Feb 4, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #45,269 of 65,634
On the topic of pads, I've noticed that the difference between Hemp and 325e is significant, when you use both with the same pads. Of course, Grado probably voiced them with the pads, so mixing them might be an unfair comparison, but the Hemp comes alive when you put a slightly raised pad on it. So, playing God for a moment, if I was tuning them, and was attempting a closer "house sound" I wouldn't put the F pad on Hemp, most likely the L pad. In which case, you'd be justified for paying the extra for Hemp over the 325e, as good as the latter are. Smoother, more extended treble and bass, and noticeably more detail and space around instruments.

Feb 4, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #45,270 of 65,634

Users who are viewing this thread

Back