Grado Fan Club!
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #45,241 of 65,692
Sorry if this has been covered but is there any reference guide that breaks down all the differences between the Grado models?

I know the website lists a few technical facts about each, but there are a lot of things that I’m unclear on. For example:

1. What’s the difference between the ‘i’, ‘e’, ‘is’ and old no suffix models? For example, I have an old SR60 from almost 20 years ago and I noticed that the current SR60e is MUCH thicker. Does the deeper chamber of the SR60e vs the SR60 make a difference? What other differences are there between the different lines?

2. Does Grado use one driver across the entire product lineup? If so, does that mean the sound quality just comes from the material differences? And if there are multiple drivers, is there a reference that shows which models use which?

3. I’m a little confused by the breakdown between Prestige, Reference, Statement, and Professional. Going up the lines, you start with plastic (60e through 225e) and then you move to metal within the same line (325e), then you switch lines and go to wood (RS2e and RS1e), then you move to another line that’s still wood (GS1000e, 2000e, 3000e), and then you switch lines and go back to metal (PS500e and PS2000e). The whole hierarchy doesn’t make sense to me.

Basically, I’m trying to wrap my brain around how the Grado lineup works. Is there anything that sort of clarifies all of this? Is it actually getting better as you go up the line?

Another reason I ask is because it seems like the most acclaimed headphone in the lineup might be the RS2e. I’m wondering if that’s just a price/performance thing or if it’s actually viewed as better than its big brothers, as Grado has at least 6 headphones that are more expensive than the RS2e.

Is there a method to this madness or am I overthinking all of this?

Yeah, shouldn't we compile an FAQ? If we don't do it hen who could?

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:16 AM Post #45,242 of 65,692
Sorry if this has been covered but is there any reference guide that breaks down all the differences between the Grado models?

I know the website lists a few technical facts about each, but there are a lot of things that I’m unclear on. For example:

1. What’s the difference between the ‘i’, ‘e’, ‘is’ and old no suffix models? For example, I have an old SR60 from almost 20 years ago and I noticed that the current SR60e is MUCH thicker. Does the deeper chamber of the SR60e vs the SR60 make a difference? What other differences are there between the different lines?

2. Does Grado use one driver across the entire product lineup? If so, does that mean the sound quality just comes from the material differences? And if there are multiple drivers, is there a reference that shows which models use which?

3. I’m a little confused by the breakdown between Prestige, Reference, Statement, and Professional. Going up the lines, you start with plastic (60e through 225e) and then you move to metal within the same line (325e), then you switch lines and go to wood (RS2e and RS1e), then you move to another line that’s still wood (GS1000e, 2000e, 3000e), and then you switch lines and go back to metal (PS500e and PS2000e). The whole hierarchy doesn’t make sense to me.

Basically, I’m trying to wrap my brain around how the Grado lineup works. Is there anything that sort of clarifies all of this? Is it actually getting better as you go up the line?

Another reason I ask is because it seems like the most acclaimed headphone in the lineup might be the RS2e. I’m wondering if that’s just a price/performance thing or if it’s actually viewed as better than its big brothers, as Grado has at least 6 headphones that are more expensive than the RS2e.

Is there a method to this madness or am I overthinking all of this?

1. In general the e models are refined and newer versions of the i and no suffix models. That does not mean that everyone agrees that the e version of a given model always sounds better.

2. The models with a x000 number and the RS1x (or just e?) have 50mm drivers, the others have 40mm drivers. Are all the 50mm and 40mm drivers the same? Noone really knows. One could assume that for the more expensive models drivers of the same type but with better measurements are chosen. Also there are drivers that are marked red and some more recent ones that are marked "dark purple-black". But there is no proof that they differ at all. Other than that the casings surely make a difference in sound.

3. There is no definitive "way up". Most Grados sound more or less the same with subtle differences. There are a few "darker" ones, like the Hemp and the PS500e. The others dwell on the trebly side. Also wood is not automatically better than metal or plastic. It's up to your personal taste which one you prefer. Think of it like coffee. Sure there is more expensive coffee that is most probably nicer than the cheap one. But then there is coffee where the beans have been digested by goats. Those taste special but probably are not the best for everyone. But it's all coffee. If you don't like coffee you don't like it and if you love it you love it:D

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 9:27 AM Post #45,243 of 65,692
I'm about to order the Shipibo aluminum rod and gimbal set for my Hemp. Before I do though, does anyone know if there's a reason not to get the short, slim set?

Feb 3, 2021 at 9:35 AM Post #45,244 of 65,692
it seems like the most acclaimed headphone in the lineup might be the RS2e. I’m wondering if that’s just a price/performance thing or if it’s actually viewed as better than its big brothers, as Grado has at least 6 headphones that are more expensive than the RS2e.

The RS2e is the model in the current lineup that is the most expensive of the 40mm driver models. Previous models that had 40mm drivers and were more expensive than the RS2e were the GH1, GH2, GH4, RS1i, GS1000i, and PS1000. All of those have since been discontinued. If you can find a GH2 or GH4, you should really give those a try, as you may find them to be better than the RS2e.

Every current model that is more expensive than the RS2e uses 50mm drivers. The 50mm driver tuning is significantly different, as the midbass hump moves from 90hz to 150hz. This leads to a more full sound at the expense of less of the "toe-tapping" quality, bass impact. If your amp further emphasizes this area, the sound can get muddy real fast.

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #45,247 of 65,692
Out of curiousity, how many of you are amping your Grados? If so, what is your favorite amp to pair with Grados?

I'm finding that, driving with a Schiit Vali 2+, the Grado Hemps are plenty loud. Like I can only turn that volume knob about 1/4 of the way before I am in the ... oh this can't be good for me territory. I'm guess the Grado's are so efficient that I'd be served fine with a "tube buffer" and a volume pot.

Feb 3, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #45,248 of 65,692
Feb 3, 2021 at 2:52 PM Post #45,250 of 65,692
RS2e arrived today from fellow forum member with about 100 hours on it already. Duel with the GH2 will start in earnest tomorrow. Very close in sound from just an hour or so comparing with music I know best. More later ...20210201_234340.jpg
OK, so I've had a couple of evenings with these two. For testing, I am using the stock L pads on both headphones. Normally, I use the large G pad along with some plastic spacers I made from, of all things, Barbasol shaving cream tops with black gaffer tape on them!

For some context, I listen to rock (classic, prog & pop), some metal (Dream Theater, Tool, some Opeth), jazz (classic, fusion, bebop, contemporary), acoustic / folk, electronica / EDM, and a little bit of classical and country for good measure. Very guitar-centric for the most part, which is completely why years ago I tossed my Senn 280's in favor of Grado SR80e, which then led to the inevitable Grado ladder climb. Unless I win a lottery, one of these 2 will be my TOTL headphone (with only a couple of other semi-tossers at home).

Here is what I am hearing when I compare these two. With the RS2e, I understand the Grado "Reference" series name. These are very precise phones, with a very clear instrument placement and imaging. This is especially noticeable with jazz or acoustic or simple rock with only a few instruments in play -- nothing is ambiguous or hazy about each individual instrument. Even on busier rock or jazz large-ensemble settings, like Radiohead "The National Anthem" from Kid A, multiple instruments remain clearly defined and don't smash each other out. On some especially loud stuff (DT, Tool, etc), a good test for headphones is this: do heavy, fast kick drums drown out or over-power a vocal or keyboard solo? Sure, the production / engineering of the music and the quality of your sound files can help / hurt this, but a good headphone can present a delicate vocal or cymbal ride on top of a pounding kick drum or bass guitar line, and both remain "in their own lane" so to speak. I really hear this with the RS2e.

The GH2e (cocobolo wood), by contrast, comes from the "Heritage" Series, which I think of as more experimental and one-off designs, whether is it cup material, cup size and shape, driver size, etc. With the GH2 the instrument placement is hair fuzzier, and the over-all sound is a bit more atmospheric, wider sounding. To my brain, it's like the GH2 has the "surround sound" setting set at 1 or 2, whereas with the RS2e it is off, so to speak. You have to listen to the GH2 with a bit more attention to hear the same detail level as the RS2e. To be clear, I hear the same level of detail in both phones, but with the RS2e the details are more obvious. I think most people describe this at more transparent.

So, for me, the GH2 lends itself to slightly more atmospheric music, OR times when I want to be more immersed in the overall music rather than the details of it. However, my brain is very analytical and to me the RS2e just "makes sense" a bit more with its more exact imaging and instrument placement.

Other people on this forum have done great jobs at dissecting the bass, mids and trebles of these two phone. To my ear, they are extremely close, which makes me think that they are both likely using the exact same driver, but differ slightly in sound do to whatever tuning Grado does to achieve whatever target sound they want and the differences the wood housing contributes. Both have great, clean bass response and depth, but not quite the extension down into the sub-bass region of 40-60K you'll find on a closed phone. Both have the Grado very-present midrange that make nearly all vocals shine and really standout, although the RS2e is a tiny bit more mid-centric, which is consistent with mahogany wood vs cocobolo -- the GH2 is slightly more V or U shaped. And both have very smooth trebles all the way up past the sound of a gentle stroke of a wire brush on a cymbal. The RS2e does have a bit more of the Grado 2+K up-tick and on some songs at higher volume exhibits a bit of the hated Grado "shouty" sound.

All in all the differences between these 2 phones are very small and both are exceptionally fine sounding headphones that are well-worth their price. It make take me a week or more to decide, but it is very possible that a very nice GH2 may soon be seen on the For Sale forum!

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #45,251 of 65,692
It make take me a week or more to decide, but it is very possible that a very nice GH2 may soon be seen on the For Sale forum!
Don't do it...bite the bullet and keep both. Once you get over the sticker shock, you will smile at the thought of owning both. It's like money in the bank -- when you need cash you can sell one of them (at least that is what I keep telling myself...lol).

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:37 PM Post #45,252 of 65,692
Don't do it...bite the bullet and keep both. Once you get over the sticker shock, you will smile at the thought of owning both. It's like money in the bank -- when you need cash you can sell one of them (at least that is what I keep telling myself...lol).
I hear you, but I also would like to try some other phones like maybe HE400 or similar planar?? I spend almost as much time with my portable setup when doing short traveling, so I'm using my Etymotic ER4XR a good bit, which gives me a totally silent canvas for music -- not so with Grados!

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #45,253 of 65,692
Been loving the Hemp with music that isn‘t well produced, and it’s the perfect headphone to listen with when i get home from a busy day at work. It’s more laid back and relaxing as compared to the RS2e which I’ve been bringing out after dinner. Loving these two headphones

Feb 3, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #45,254 of 65,692
Yeah, shouldn't we compile an FAQ? If we don't do it hen who could?

This is a good idea. There seem to be a lot of people with a lot of expertise on Grado in this thread. Putting together some sort of FAQ or spreadsheet would be a good idea for prospestive Grado buyers.

1. In general the e models are refined and newer versions of the i and no suffix models. That does not mean that everyone agrees that the e version of a given model always sounds better.

2. The models with a x000 number and the RS1x (or just e?) have 50mm drivers, the others have 40mm drivers. Are all the 50mm and 40mm drivers the same? Noone really knows. One could assume that for the more expensive models drivers of the same type but with better measurements are chosen. Also there are drivers that are marked red and some more recent ones that are marked "dark purple-black". But there is no proof that they differ at all. Other than that the casings surely make a difference in sound.

3. There is no definitive "way up". Most Grados sound more or less the same with subtle differences. There are a few "darker" ones, like the Hemp and the PS500e. The others dwell on the trebly side. Also wood is not automatically better than metal or plastic. It's up to your personal taste which one you prefer. Think of it like coffee. Sure there is more expensive coffee that is most probably nicer than the cheap one. But then there is coffee where the beans have been digested by goats. Those taste special but probably are not the best for everyone. But it's all coffee. If you don't like coffee you don't like it and if you love it you love it:D

1. I’m curious because judging by the major difference in the cup size, it would appear on the surface that going from an SR60 to an SR60e is a bigger jump than going from an SR60e to an SR125e or even an SR225e. I’m guessing that’s not actually the case, but if they use the same drivers and the big differentiating factor between models is the cups, then the 60e has a significantly larger cup than the 60 does. Speaking of which, where does the “is” fit it? The no-suffix, the “i”, and the “e” are the three main generations, but I’ve also seen some “is“ models in the past.

2. I just find that bizarre because most people seem to like the RS2e over the RS1e. If the RS2e uses the same driver as the low end SR60e, that’s just odd. And what I also find strange about the whole thing is how Grado allocates the Series branding, as the Series is neither consistent with the driver nor the cup material. The cutoff between each Series seems arbitrary.

3. Ah, that makes sense. So you’re not necessarily paying for better sound; just got something different. I’d be curious about Grado’s margins then. I wonder if their $1000-$2500 headphones actually cost that much more to manufacture than their $300-$500 headphones, or whether it’s just a sort of artisanal thing that determines prices.

If my personal taste is that I’ve always loved the SR60 but I want something higher end, more detailed, and more refined, would the RS2e be a good option? The SR60 was my audiophile headphone in the 2000s, but I’ve since moved on to an A900, a 6XX, and recently, an AirPods Max. I do go back to the SR60 occasionally because I enjoy that unique sound. So if I want something in that vein but higher end (and the GS/PS Series are beyond my budget), would the RS2e be my best option?

The RS2e is the model in the current lineup that is the most expensive of the 40mm driver models. Previous models that had 40mm drivers and were more expensive than the RS2e were the GH1, GH2, GH4, RS1i, GS1000i, and PS1000. All of those have since been discontinued. If you can find a GH2 or GH4, you should really give those a try, as you may find them to be better than the RS2e.

Every current model that is more expensive than the RS2e uses 50mm drivers. The 50mm driver tuning is significantly different, as the midbass hump moves from 90hz to 150hz. This leads to a more full sound at the expense of less of the "toe-tapping" quality, bass impact. If your amp further emphasizes this area, the sound can get muddy real fast.

For reference, I’m using a Topping L30 as my amp. And currently my only Grado is the old SR60. I’m considering going with something more high end, and the two I’m eyeing, in terms of price and availability, are the RS2e and the Hemp. Perhaps the 325e, although I’d prefer wood for the aesthetics.

Feb 3, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #45,255 of 65,692
I'm loving both the 325e and Hemp with Geekria LL or semi flat pads. The RS2e or GH2 would have to be very special indeed to better the Hemps right now. You know it sounds good when every time you switch them on you think wow, these got better from last time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back