Grado Fan Club!
Jan 12, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #44,806 of 65,633
81672302_10157960165749122_7395265889311916032_o.jpg

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #44,807 of 65,633
If you just want to try Grado get an SR60e for 80 bucks. It's a true Grado and it's surprisingly good, especially for the price.

What's it like versus the SR80e ? I've heard it's similar, better, also that the SR80e is its own thing. I have the Hemps but I'm curious about the 60 and 80.

Jan 12, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #44,808 of 65,633
tRoEswF.jpeg

I just got my first pair of Grados and I love them way more than my other headphones so far! as well my Shipibo earpads and sandblasted gimbals just shipped today! I can’t wait to get these upgraded as it's my first time modding headphones in any way at all, I hope the camel colored leather headband I chose from Turbulent Labs will look nice with the hemp cups and new gimbals :)

(Random DIY side note, I also just bought some turbulent drivers (over the symphone drivers on recommendation from fleasbaby for comfort reasons), I’m waiting for the R1C driver to be released by Elleven Audio thanks to his heads up, and I’m talking with him about ordering some fairly custom cups (his words were very opulent) as well to fully put together a pair of headphones myself, and that seems fun to look forward too)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 5:48 PM Post #44,809 of 65,633
Hey - new to the Grado Party/Fan club but purchased a pair of Rs2e this fall after such great reviews on here. Have not been disappointed in the least - love them and have been using every day. Looking to purchase another pair to compliment these - I've been reading through the posts (lots of them) and looks like the Hemp is a good next buy (?) or at least one that has been recommended. Open to suggestions though (GH series? GS series?).

My system and listening preference is 90% analog source into a Liquid Platinum with a mix of 50/50 jazz/rock. Thanks in advance.

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:03 PM Post #44,810 of 65,633
Hey - new to the Grado Party/Fan club but purchased a pair of Rs2e this fall after such great reviews on here. Have not been disappointed in the least - love them and have been using every day. Looking to purchase another pair to compliment these - I've been reading through the posts (lots of them) and looks like the Hemp is a good next buy (?) or at least one that has been recommended. Open to suggestions though (GH series? GS series?).

My system and listening preference is 90% analog source into a Liquid Platinum with a mix of 50/50 jazz/rock. Thanks in advance.

I'm driving the Hemp with the LP, so the Hemp is my recommendation :wink:

Jan 12, 2021 at 6:04 PM Post #44,811 of 65,633
If I want to step into the world of Grado, are RS2e a good starting point? Are these good representation of the "Grado" house sound?

Want to add a Grado to my collection, and not necessarily looking for the next step up nor trying to break the bank. Seems like there's a cult, and curious to experience first-hand as to why.

Thanks.
You should just get the Sr80e new for about £90 . That will give you a good idea. And you can still try different cushion / pads on them. . Before spending £400.

Jan 12, 2021 at 7:43 PM Post #44,813 of 65,633
In your experience the Hemp are better sounding than GS1000e/2000e/3000e?

I don't like to use the word 'better', because something that sound good to my ears can sound bad for you.

I have never heard the GS3000e, but if you ask me to choose one headphones in between the Hemp/GS1000e/GS2000e, I will go with the Hemp. I'm only listening to hard-rock/metal music, and the only Grado headphones that I have been able to appreciate with 100% of my music since I have been in this hobby is the Hemp.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 8:37 PM Post #44,814 of 65,633
tRoEswF.jpeg

I just got my first pair of Grados and I love them way more than my other headphones so far! as well my Shipibo earpads and sandblasted gimbals just shipped today! I can’t wait to get these upgraded as it's my first time modding headphones in any way at all, I hope the camel colored leather headband I chose from Turbulent Labs will look nice with the hemp cups and new gimbals :)

(Random DIY side note, I also just bought some turbulent drivers (over the symphone drivers on recommendation from fleasbaby for comfort reasons), I’m waiting for the R1C driver to be released by Elleven Audio thanks to his heads up, and I’m talking with him about ordering some fairly custom cups (his words were very opulent) as well to fully put together a pair of headphones myself, and that seems fun to look forward too)

Very nice. I modded my SR225e recently with new wood cups, metal gimbals, a Turbulent Labs headband, and a new cable. It was fun to do. Definitely want to try my hand at building one from scratch at some point, too.

Definitely thinking about metal gimbals for the Hemp, but I've been kinda worried that they might crack the wood.

Jan 12, 2021 at 11:01 PM Post #44,815 of 65,633
Very nice. I modded my SR225e recently with new wood cups, metal gimbals, a Turbulent Labs headband, and a new cable. It was fun to do. Definitely want to try my hand at building one from scratch at some point, too.

Definitely thinking about metal gimbals for the Hemp, but I've been kinda worried that they might crack the wood.

That is awesome, I would be scared to change the cable personally just because the driver is glued in and needs to be heated or steamed. Also, how do you like your headband so far, and is it a big upgrade from stock? Is it the same or better quality compared to the factory leather headband? (What I mean by that is in terms of stitching, and leather quality, not comfort)

Also, do you have any recommendations for a cable? I have seen some nice balanced 6ft long braided cables for around $80-120 on other websites and then with vendors on Etsy, using the same Eidolic connectors I want to use in my build, and since I don't have any supplies it would cost around $100 in supplies for me to do it DIY, so it's not like I'm saving much money going that route (unless I made extra cables and sold them)

(PS: I don’t think a cable will make your Grados, etc... sound better, I'm just looking for something that will last and is high quality, so please no cryogenically frozen bs, silver cables, etc...)

I might be confused about how the gimbals are installed, the plastic gimbals easily just pop off, and I was assuming you use the grub screws on the side of the gimbal ring to mount the gimbal to the cups. (Or is it a tight fit to get the gimbals metal ring around the cup in the first place?)

(edit: messed up on my initial reply (fixed multiple spelling and grammar issues along with clarifying my statements))

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2021 at 11:54 PM Post #44,817 of 65,633
If anyone is going to do comparisons to the HEMP with a Grado that uses stock L cushions, you need to do it with TTVJ Flat pads because these are what come on the HEMP and can drastically change the sound from the L cushions, I personally don't care for any Grado with the flat pads. I've bought them 4x and sold hem 3x. I still have the last pair that I bought and used 1 time in my drawer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back