Grado Fan Club!
Dec 30, 2020 at 6:42 PM Post #44,566 of 65,639
Shipibo will have some kind of new earpads soon according to their facebook stream...they even posted a picutre.

5A226EFD-AA32-4BE4-9244-3570AD2EFF75.jpeg

Dec 30, 2020 at 9:31 PM Post #44,568 of 65,639
haha great .. i think my wallet just winced. RS2e is also easier to get in Malaysia for me. :beyersmile:

Yea my ears are tuned to the bass on the SR225e which isnt overpowering but nice and accurate.

You just can't go wrong with the RS2e. They're really something special. Personally, I don't think that a mid bass bump goes well with rock/metal. It makes everything sound bloated and muddy.

I really like the sub bass slam on the RS2e and how the more linear mid bass opens up space for the mids and highs. Really accurate and fun.

I have both the RS2e and the SR 225e here

Another model that goes really well with rock is the PS500e. Try to audition them and compare with the RS2e, if possible

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2020 at 10:10 PM Post #44,569 of 65,639
The sr225e is really hard to beat for rock, going up you get more refinement but that's not always necessarily better for rock, the crunch and grit the sr225e's have are magical with rock and metal imho.

The SR325e is also tempting. It has got really good reviews and since they are aluminium they would probably be on the aggressive side. Thanks for sharing your opinion.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:28 PM Post #44,570 of 65,639
Having watched Resolves (headphone show) review / chat about the RS2e, and what people say about then here, bit confused.

"Sub bass rumble" ? FR graph shows a savage roll off? This not actually the case?

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:38 PM Post #44,571 of 65,639
Having watched Resolves (headphone show) review / chat about the RS2e, and what people say about then here, bit confused.

"Sub bass rumble" ? FR graph shows a savage roll off? This not actually the case?

I hear sub-bass on my pair (a good amount of it). I hear more sub-bass on my Fostex or Denon 2000, sure. My GH2, HF3 and SR225i also have good sub-bass (less than the RS2e, but still present and of good quality). If I buy a headphone that does not have good sub-bass I send it back or sell it off. A headphone without sub-bass is like a beautiful woman with a missing front tooth.

Dec 30, 2020 at 10:40 PM Post #44,572 of 65,639
I hear sub-bass on my pair (a good amount of it). I hear more sub-bass on my Fostex or Denon 2000, sure. My GH2, HF3 and SR225i also have good sub-bass (less than the RS2e, but still present and of good quality). If I buy a headphone that does not have good sub-bass I send it back or sell it off. A headphone without sub-bass is like a beautiful woman with a missing front tooth.
Some say that is also a plus.

I have a GH4. Seems fine....

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:30 PM Post #44,573 of 65,639

I really like his channel and reviews, but he clearly didn't know much about the Grado line and sound signature, so it was hard for him to put things in perspective.

Also, you have to take into account the reviewers biases and preferences. For example, when Joshua says a headphones lacks bass, I already know that's gonna be the amount of bass I look for

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #44,574 of 65,639
When Joshua says it lacks bass it's because that's what the people want to hear :p

Yeah. Just interesting, I like a lot of the same headphones Resolve does. Maybe he would like the GH4 more.

Dec 30, 2020 at 11:39 PM Post #44,575 of 65,639
I just got the Hemps and like them a lot. I listen to a lot of metal (doom, death metal, classic), classic rock (Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Eloy, Rush), jazz (Ruby Rushton, Coltrane, Brubeck), classical (Mahler, Liszt, Gorecki), modern ambient synth. I"m coming from the Sennheiser 6-series world and feel like these are the next step up. Maybe even end game for me because the bass is absolutely perfect to what I like (smooth bass to mid transition without bloat and a little punch). Sometimes have to EQ some treble back though, but that's such a minor complaint for having a pair that cover so much ground.

Also feel like I traded Sennheiser clamp (i'm really sensitive to clamp) for pinching the cartiledge at the top of my ears. Any tips on wearing these? I'll try a few things tomorrow: flatten the headband out and then adjust back, angle the cups a bit and lower them as much as possible so they don't press the top of my ears, pad swap. I don't find the pads rough or anything at all, but on ears tend to irritate the cartiledge that sticks out a few centimeters above my ear canal.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:13 AM Post #44,576 of 65,639
I just got the Hemps and like them a lot. I listen to a lot of metal (doom, death metal, classic), classic rock (Steely Dan, Pink Floyd, Eloy, Rush), jazz (Ruby Rushton, Coltrane, Brubeck), classical (Mahler, Liszt, Gorecki), modern ambient synth. I"m coming from the Sennheiser 6-series world and feel like these are the next step up. Maybe even end game for me because the bass is absolutely perfect to what I like (smooth bass to mid transition without bloat and a little punch). Sometimes have to EQ some treble back though, but that's such a minor complaint for having a pair that cover so much ground.

Also feel like I traded Sennheiser clamp (i'm really sensitive to clamp) for pinching the cartiledge at the top of my ears. Any tips on wearing these? I'll try a few things tomorrow: flatten the headband out and then adjust back, angle the cups a bit and lower them as much as possible so they don't press the top of my ears, pad swap. I don't find the pads rough or anything at all, but on ears tend to irritate the cartiledge that sticks out a few centimeters above my ear canal.
Stretching the headband out a bit should do wonders for your comfort! When I got my pair I found wearing them really painful, after bending the band it's comfortable 👍

Dec 31, 2020 at 1:10 AM Post #44,577 of 65,639
RS2e and GW-100 on their way to join my very old pair of SR325i’s. Got new pads about 6 months ago and they’ve been on high rotation since so thought it was time to get some more Grado’s and the RS2e looked good :). The GW-100 were just an impulse buy lol.

Dec 31, 2020 at 9:45 AM Post #44,578 of 65,639
Stretching the headband out a bit should do wonders for your comfort! When I got my pair I found wearing them really painful, after bending the band it's comfortable 👍

That did the trick. Flattened them out, then curved them back to a shape that had a gentle clamp. Million times better. These are such good cans, best purchase of 2020. Gotta thank ytseJamer for the recommendation.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:08 PM Post #44,579 of 65,639

Hell yeah. I mostly listen to metal and classic rock, too. The Hemps are my go to headphones and have basically become my daily drivers for music listening (still go back to my HD6XX for movies, games, etc though). I prefer them to all my other Grados, too (modded SR225e, and PS500e). They're the most detailed and have the most sub bass of any Grado I own. They just work so well for rock and metal. The only other headphone I own that is as good for metal is my Hifiman HE500. But those are too huge and heavy to wear for long periods of time.

Dec 31, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #44,580 of 65,639
Hi
I had a gh2 grado which I have sold to finance part of my gs3000e.
I have heard little time the gs3000e at the moment, they are burning.
First impressions are good. Very good details, great with voices, good separation and good timbre.
I also have a unit of gs1000i that a friend has left me because he no longer uses them. I think the driver is not very good because at high volume they tend to sound strange
With both gs series headphones the sound is wider but also has less punch.
I had read that gs1000i had a lot of punch and it is not like that at all, my old gh2 had a lot more, gs3000e also has more than gs1000i, although I say again that it may be defective.
I have thought that with l-cush in gs1000i grade the sound can be closer to the punch of gh2.
I love the gs3000e for its detail for other genres but I do miss the punch of the gh2 in hard rock and metal.
You could also try them on the gs3000e and alternate them with the g-cush.
Has anyone done these tests?
Regards.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back