Grado Fan Club!
Dec 29, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #44,536 of 65,622
The SR60e! Just listened to it again after a while and how great is this headphone for the price? It has all of the qualities of my RS2e and PS500e. It's a full Grado. It's does not sound as refined and polished as the other two but it's pretty damn close! I mean it made my girl-friend appreciate listening by headphone and rediscovering songs she already knows. And she is usually not interested in such things at all. Definitely recommended!

Dec 29, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #44,537 of 65,622
The SR60e! Just listened to it again after a while and how great is this headphone for the price? It has all of the qualities of my RS2e and PS500e. It's a full Grado. It's does not sound as refined and polished as the other two but it's pretty damn close! I mean it made my girl-friend appreciate listening by headphone and rediscovering songs she already knows. And she is usually not interested in such things at all. Definitely recommended!
+1. SR60e is a terrific headphone. If you're not into collecting every model like some of us --- get a pair of these for more basic / utility purposes and a higher end model for those "special occasions" and you're all set.

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:16 AM Post #44,538 of 65,622
Hi
Are they complementary grade gs1000i and gs3000e or do they sound very similar?
I have been told that gs1000i has more impact in the lows and more vivid highs.
I had ordered gs3000e but they have given me some gs1000i and I don't know if it is worth having both or to just keep the gs1000i that they have given me. I do not know if it will be worth the investment or better to look for some hd800s instead of gs3000e
Cheers

There is a sonic difference between GS1000i and GS3000e. I would prefer the GS1000i for rock and other very dynamic music. On the other hand the GS3000e can be better with classic, jazz and singer/songwriter imo.

Dec 29, 2020 at 8:19 AM Post #44,539 of 65,622
@Zomb13k113r
Just curious. Why not just buy the SR60e and enjoy them and save the RS2e for a future project?

@Bernard23
I could be wrong, but I believe the drivers are matched +/-0.5

Because I love them. I've had many pairs of headphones (now all gone apart from the RS2E and T5P) and those two offer everything I like.

It's not just the sound for me. I love how light they are, how comfy they are (with the big girl's drawers pads (that's what I call them) and most importantly I like the sound from the wooden cups. It's like I was saying to my chum last night "You wouldn't make a musical instrument out of plastic".

I'm going to refurb them with the 80E parts for now and when this whole Covid thing dies down and shipments are easier to get and there is more stock I will go ham. For right now though I am just desperate to be using them again. I'm having to wear in ear headphones (YUCK) because the T5P are at my house and I am house sitting my mother's (she fell and broke her leg two months ago and is staying with family on her very slow recovery).

I will give the 80E a listen but it's not just the sound of the RS2E I fell in love with.

Sadly the good replacement parts are all in the USA. Meaning slow delivery, extortionate shipping prices (cheers Donald) and import charges. Like I said, I am short of cash right now so just getting them working again is the priority :)

cTuJw0c.jpg

I've had them on this since I got them. Wonderful little amplifier.

xa2dnUS.jpg

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:17 AM Post #44,540 of 65,622
But someone else might chime in here, I've heard the RS2e has less of the mid-bass warmth and punch of the GH2, but is more "flat" and extends a bit further into the sub-bass region. But by no means is the GH2 over-emphasised! More than likely (again, from the comparisons I've read) the RS2e is just a bit more accurate and has a bit less overall bass.

Yes...less mid bass...but a bit (just an itty-bitty) is right. People should not expect night and day differences.

And again, to clarify -- when I described the GH2 as "flubby", I was making a comparison to my Audeze LCD2 Closed-back, which is super analytical (and maybe a bit dry compared to any Grados I've listened to at length) and the HiFiMan Sundara.

Again, this seems accurate to me. But that "flubbyness" seems more real to me. When I go to a live jazz concert I don't hear super analytical, Hifiman sounding bass. I also don't hear super fun, Fostex sounding bass. Then again, I will most likely be drunk when I'm in a concert...so take everything I just said with a grain of a salt...

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:48 AM Post #44,541 of 65,622

Oh yes! It's that Grado-sound!
You cannot find that in any other brand of headphones. All their models are different variations but they share the same Grado-lifelike, airy and refined sound.

Dec 29, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #44,542 of 65,622
Due to work, holidays, and kids, unfortunately I've not been able to run music through the gs3000e much. So I think I'm far from having it run in. Nonetheless, the short periods I have listened with it recently have been quite enjoyable. I really like how much it weighs (or rather, doesn't weigh) and I like how its presentation differs from all my other headphones. I did hear some improvement in the mids and bass compared to day 1. Realistically, it does get outperformed by my other headphones (in one way or another), but I was expecting that already so no surprises there. I just wanted a Grado and a different house sound in the stable.
I am not really sure a run in makes a difference but hopefully I will find out.
Yes agreed, really light weight, I recall I tried the PS1000e in a shop a few years ago, this is weight lifting for the head 😂
I am a little bit puzzled by your comment that your other gear outperforms this kind of level then I am obviously curious to know which other headphones you have, that was bound to be the next question

Dec 29, 2020 at 3:08 PM Post #44,543 of 65,622
I am not really sure a run in makes a difference but hopefully I will find out.
Yes agreed, really light weight, I recall I tried the PS1000e in a shop a few years ago, this is weight lifting for the head 😂
I am a little bit puzzled by your comment that your other gear outperforms this kind of level then I am obviously curious to know which other headphones you have, that was bound to be the next question

Oh I think my signature doesn't show up on the mobile website. No worries. I have the TC, Susvara, Utopia, Stellia.

Dec 29, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #44,544 of 65,622
Dec 29, 2020 at 4:49 PM Post #44,545 of 65,622
Oh I think my signature doesn't show up on the mobile website. No worries. I have the TC, Susvara, Utopia, Stellia.
Very impressive, now I can see this in your signature, that is right I was using an ipad when I posted before, so your were right about the mobile not showing the signature,
Focal is highly regarded, so I cannot compare but these are certainly headphones in a much higher price bands, so that is good if they sound better :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:28 PM Post #44,546 of 65,622
Dec 29, 2020 at 9:30 PM Post #44,548 of 65,622
Hey Does anyone know of someone who does a removable cable mod for Grados? i have a pair of PS500E and im tired of the cables being super stiff leading up to the cups after the Y split. Im also open to any recommendations on replacement cables.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:01 PM Post #44,550 of 65,622
I agree with the post just above;
that is I think you''ll like both and have a good old time
comparing and enjoying the them.

Have fun.

P.S. Have PS500e, RS2e, and a few others; had the 325i, is, 325e;
had the GH1 (maple IIRC); others...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back