Grado Fan Club!
Dec 23, 2020 at 9:10 AM Post #44,476 of 65,633
I agree, it also my experience that the Grado is very position sensitive.Moreso than any other phone I had/tried.

But I hear it completly different as you! If I pull it forward, than the sound becomes distant, looses bass. If I push it back, than the highs are opening up (in a good way), my ear snugs in the pad and bass becomes super. Intresting. Maybe we have very different ear/head shapes. Here is photo from me...

B8373A2A-8AE3-43D3-8D5D-0D65E9C105FB.jpeg
You might find they sit better over your eyes :o2smile::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Dec 23, 2020 at 10:55 AM Post #44,477 of 65,633
Which DAC do people here use with their GH2's? I listen to music with them, solely via the computer. Currently I'm using a Teac UD-HO1 as my DAC, connected to a "new to me" Myryad Z40 Heaphone Amp. Would I benefit significantly by changing the DAC?
Congratulations, a man of impeccable taste?!?

I use the Z40 too. A wonderful, beautiful sounding and versatile quality amp (remote control compatible) thst was available at bargain prices.

I use the matching Myryad Z20 DAC , an aesthetic and acoustic match imo (ignore What Hifi derogatory review) Worth seeking out.

Low gain Grados, High for Sennheiser etc 'End game' for me. Out performs the much vaunted (at least in UK) Graham Slee Solo SRG II overall, at least for long term musical pleasure IMO. You've got a great amp!!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2020 at 11:41 AM Post #44,478 of 65,633
Congratulations, a man of impeccable taste?!?

I use the Z40 too. A wonderful, beautiful sounding and versatile quality amp (remote control compatible) thst was available at bargain prices.

I use the matching Myryad Z20 DAC , an aesthetic and acoustic match imo (ignore What Hifi derogatory review) Worth seeking out.

Low gain Grados, High for Sennheiser etc 'End game' for me. Out performs the much vaunted (at least in UK) Graham Slee Solo SRG II overall, at least for long term musical pleasure IMO. You've got a great amp!!
The Z20 seem less easy to come by...but I'll keep a look out for one...I paid £160 for the amp and the seller claimed it had hardly been used...certainly in near new condition. :relaxed:

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:03 PM Post #44,480 of 65,633
Well...I have an RS2e, a HEMP and an SR225e.

i couldn’t send back fast enough the PS2000e I bought. Like you, I wanted to experience the TOTL Grado sound.The PS2000e had almost no bass compared to the RS2e. Even with L cushion. Both drivers were working, resolution was high so I don’t think they were defect. I still can not understand the whole thing, it was such a let-down.

I am starting to think, that nothing with G cushion is good for me, and considering that the RS1e has very mixed reviews/opinons my TOTL Grado is the RS2e.
I'm having the same "issue" with my GS1000e. I just don't get it. With rock/pop type music, the bass is just...hollow? But with jazz and classical it's just brilliant and I enjoy them. The RS2e's take most of my listening time up, but the Hemp's, for rock/metal beat out the RS2e.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:44 PM Post #44,481 of 65,633
The Z20 seem less easy to come by...but I'll keep a look out for one...I paid £160 for the amp and the seller claimed it had hardly been used...certainly in near new condition. :relaxed:
_20201223_194054.JPG

Dec 23, 2020 at 11:04 PM Post #44,483 of 65,633
If the RS2e and Hemp and even Gh2 are so close, why were they not hailed as such giant killers when they were launched?

With the i-series, nobody recommended the RS2i. The RS1i was just better because it was likely the same driver in a larger cup, providing more depth. So when the RS2e came out, it was under-the-radar. But because the RS1e was totally different (50mm driver), people tried the RS2e. And surprise, the RS2e is more neutral than the RS1e.

I didn't consider the Hemp to be a giant killer because I feel last year's LE offering, the GH4, is better. However the GH4 was priced $100 lower than the GH2 so it didn't really get attention either. (Someone needs to compare the two side by side.) The Hemp cuts some corners to reach its price point, like having a smaller wooden cup than usual. All in all, Grado's 50mm driver model lineup is polarizing enough (the midbass hump is moved from 90hz to 150hz) that people are either seeking older flagship models or feel the "midrange" models are better. And that's totally fine.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 4:25 AM Post #44,484 of 65,633
It is still without mod. But I searched for headphone cheap comfy and mainly which will play nice usefull even with mobile (which is very rare in my opinion) and this is it energetic visceral open airy, and when you see tubes on screen it plays even better. What to wish more.
IMG_3860.jpeg

Do you have someone experience with E1da or Lotoo S1 with Alessandro / Grado?

Dec 24, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #44,485 of 65,633
It is still without mod. But I searched for headphone cheap comfy and mainly which will play nice usefull even with mobile (which is very rare in my opinion) and this is it energetic visceral open airy, and when you see tubes on screen it plays even better. What to wish more.
IMG_3860.jpeg

Do you have someone experience with E1da or Lotoo S1 with Alessandro / Grado?

what foam cups are those? they look so big.

Dec 24, 2020 at 8:21 AM Post #44,487 of 65,633
With the i-series, nobody recommended the RS2i. The RS1i was just better because it was likely the same driver in a larger cup, providing more depth. So when the RS2e came out, it was under-the-radar. But because the RS1e was totally different (50mm driver), people tried the RS2e. And surprise, the RS2e is more neutral than the RS1e.

I didn't consider the Hemp to be a giant killer because I feel last year's LE offering, the GH4, is better. However the GH4 was priced $100 lower than the GH2 so it didn't really get attention either. (Someone needs to compare the two side by side.) The Hemp cuts some corners to reach its price point, like having a smaller wooden cup than usual. All in all, Grado's 50mm driver model lineup is polarizing enough (the midbass hump is moved from 90hz to 150hz) that people are either seeking older flagship models or feel the "midrange" models are better. And that's totally fine.
What are the different driver designs that Grado use and which models are they used in, and how and what are their tonadl characteristics?
I'm presuming there's a slightly modular approach to each version, a mix of a choice of drivers, cups, bowls etc

Dec 24, 2020 at 11:52 AM Post #44,488 of 65,633
Review of RS2e with TTVJ deluxe / f-pads in comparison to Hemp.:

RS2e is clearer and more detailed. I think some of that though is attibutable to the brighter frequency response and treble fake detail. RS2e is not supposed to produce a whale of plankton but it certainly sounds it in the mids.

This morning listening to Ray Charles and Sam Cooke has been exhilarating.

The difference in acoustic instruments and vocals is palpable. But surprisingly, switching to rock music its less impressive. The bass and impact is not as great as Hemp so not as funky. Cymbals are a bit brighter than Hemp and I think overshadow some of that extra resolution in the mids. There is a bit of ear fatigue, but its that warm treble fatigue feel and not bass induced headache feel (hemp).

RS2e has more resolution but is not better (different). Id take the Hemp for an all-rounder so long as you dont listen too loudly to drown out background noise over a long period of time (headache). You may be mid-fi in comparison to 6X0 (stock) and RS2e (ttvj deluxe) but both of those I like less overall. My 6XX currently has been modded to sound more like Hemp, so dont know if Ill want to get another right away. Will be selling RS2e.

Last edited:
Dec 24, 2020 at 2:46 PM Post #44,489 of 65,633
Have a good Christmas everyone from the UK
16621337-santa-claus-listening-to-the-music-with-a-pair-of-headphones.jpg

Dec 24, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #44,490 of 65,633
Review of RS2e with TTVJ deluxe / f-pads in comparison to Hemp.:

RS2e is clearer and more detailed. I think some of that though is attibutable to the brighter frequency response and treble fake detail. RS2e is not supposed to produce a whale of plankton but it certainly sounds it in the mids.

This morning listening to Ray Charles and Sam Cooke has been exhilarating.

The difference in acoustic instruments and vocals is palpable. But surprisingly, switching to rock music its less impressive. The bass and impact is not as great as Hemp so not as funky. Cymbals are a bit brighter than Hemp and I think overshadow some of that extra resolution in the mids. There is a bit of ear fatigue, but its that warm treble fatigue feel and not bass induced headache feel (hemp).

RS2e has more resolution but is not better (different). Id take the Hemp for an all-rounder so long as you dont listen too loudly to drown out background noise over a long period of time (headache). You may be mid-fi in comparison to 6X0 (stock) and RS2e (ttvj deluxe) but both of those I like less overall. My 6XX currently has been modded to sound more like Hemp, so dont know if Ill want to get another right away. Will be selling RS2e.
I was able to audition a pair of rs2e's from a friend and my impressions are remarkably similar to yours, I too prefer the Hemps but they are really close and it's up to individual preference at this point which one would prefer :gs1000smile:.

I know this was mentioned before but it's a sentiment I agree with, the Hemp to me is the most tonally correct Grado I've heard, quite an accomplishment imho to keep it exciting and close to tonally correct at the same time.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back