Grado Fan Club!
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #43,126 of 65,679
Side note for those who may be interested (maybe im late the party on this one but did not see this mentioned anywhere) when I received my RS2e, I noticed they did not have the red drivers, so I emailed Grado and response said they stopped painting the drivers red four years ago. Not a big deal, but was kinda surprised, if i didnt order direct from Grado i would have been a little concerned.

The drivers of my RS2e are not red either (they're black)

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 1:55 PM Post #43,127 of 65,679
I have a G8. How can I tell whether it is running in high impedance mode with my GH4?

This combo does make me question why I need all these amps and DAC's I've bought. :smile_phones:

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 2:39 PM Post #43,128 of 65,679
I have a G8. How can I tell whether it is running in high impedance mode with my GH4?

This combo does make me question why I need all these amps and DAC's I've bought. :smile_phones:

Theres an app that'll tell you. A search of "LG hifi status" in the store will find it. Does cost a few dollars. Kind of unnecessary once you know how it accepts a particular set, but when trying new headphones its helpful.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:08 PM Post #43,129 of 65,679
Question for the group, I'm new to head-fi, so apologies up front if this isn't in the right place.

I'll try to make this as succinct as possible. I use an LG G7, and a G8 with a recently purchased RS2e and I have a couple years old 125e. Both list a 32 ohm impedence on the Grado website. For those not familiar, those LG phones adjust their amp output based on the impedence of the headphones. Sets that are over 50 ohms, will trigger high impedence mode, and therefore higher output. My 125e, as expected, does not trigger high impedence mode but the RS2e does. Anyone else with the LG phones have the same experience?

Side note for those who may be interested (maybe im late the party on this one but did not see this mentioned anywhere) when I received my RS2e, I noticed they did not have the red drivers, so I emailed Grado and response said they stopped painting the drivers red four years ago. Not a big deal, but was kinda surprised, if i didnt order direct from Grado i would have been a little concerned.

Thanks to everyone in these forums, the info shared has helped tremdously on various questions ive had.

Cheers
LG V35 owner here and I've run several Grado's from this phone. My phone, and my previous V20, use LG's "Hi-fi Quad DAC" which gives excellent sound + EQ + a number of effects. It easily drives all the Grado's I've had with it over the past 2 years: MS-1, SR-125e, SR-325e, and GH2. I can't say that I've ever noticed a change in an "impedance mode" -- maybe the DAC in the LG G series phones is different. As far as I know, Grado's have the same impedance requirements all the way up the line, and I don't think the RS2e would be any different.

Does your RS2e have the stock / original thick Grado cable? If the previous owner swapped cables, maybe that cable has a higher impedance.

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #43,130 of 65,679
Question for the group, I'm new to head-fi, so apologies up front if this isn't in the right place.

I'll try to make this as succinct as possible. I use an LG G7, and a G8 with a recently purchased RS2e and I have a couple years old 125e. Both list a 32 ohm impedence on the Grado website. For those not familiar, those LG phones adjust their amp output based on the impedence of the headphones. Sets that are over 50 ohms, will trigger high impedence mode, and therefore higher output. My 125e, as expected, does not trigger high impedence mode but the RS2e does. Anyone else with the LG phones have the same experience?

Thanks to everyone in these forums, the info shared has helped tremdously on various questions ive had.

Cheers

I have heard and read that all over the net. I run my LG V30 with my Meze 99 Classic's (just because closed back) and the sound is Awesome. I never get past half volume. They are super easy to drive and the Grado's are the same. Both are 32 Ohm.

I kept thinking the same thing at first: "What am I missing?" "How do I trick the phone into high output?" You really are not missing anything. It is just that if you come across headphones that are harder to drive, your phone can step up.
My phone will be three in November and I don't see any reason to replace it. As long as it works...

Sep 21, 2020 at 5:32 PM Post #43,131 of 65,679
LG V35 owner here and I've run several Grado's from this phone. My phone, and my previous V20, use LG's "Hi-fi Quad DAC" which gives excellent sound + EQ + a number of effects. It easily drives all the Grado's I've had with it over the past 2 years: MS-1, SR-125e, SR-325e, and GH2. I can't say that I've ever noticed a change in an "impedance mode" -- maybe the DAC in the LG G series phones is different. As far as I know, Grado's have the same impedance requirements all the way up the line, and I don't think the RS2e would be any different.

Does your RS2e have the stock / original thick Grado cable? If the previous owner swapped cables, maybe that cable has a higher impedance.

Its brand new from Grado, so its all stock.

I would generally trick mine to go into the aux mode (little bit higher output, but not as high as high impedance mode) for my 125e. You can definitely hear the difference (for the better) when youre able to switch between modes. For my hifiman 400i, i trick it into high impedance mode because it definitely benefits from more power, but only triggers in normal mode by default.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:23 PM Post #43,132 of 65,679
Got something in the mail today.

IMG_2698.JPG
IMG_2700.JPG

I like wood...
download (1).jpg

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:28 PM Post #43,133 of 65,679
All of the Grados I have seen measured have a impedance spike somewhere in the bass, for instance the GH4 jumps to around 130ohms around 90-100hz. It is possible that this is causing the LG phones to see the Grados as high impedance headphones. With dynamic drivers the impedance often varies depending on the frequency, whereas planars are flat throughout.

Some of the Grados seem to have a particularly large spike though like the GH4. This is very likely part of the reason why Grados are said to have weak bass, if they are not used with a amp many pcs and phones can struggle to deliver power to the bass region.

Sep 21, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #43,134 of 65,679
All of the Grados I have seen measured have a impedance spike somewhere in the bass, for instance the GH4 jumps to around 130ohms around 90-100hz. It is possible that this is causing the LG phones to see the Grados as high impedance headphones. With dynamic drivers the impedance often varies depending on the frequency, whereas planars are flat throughout.

Some of the Grados seem to have a particularly large spike though like the GH4. This is very likely part of the reason why Grados are said to have weak bass, if they are not used with a amp many pcs and phones can struggle to deliver power to the bass region.

Makes sense to me, in the end it makes things easier for me, just plug them in and dont need to worry about the extra extensions and adapters. Thought it was interesting that the RS2e did that, i just assumed based on the impedence specs and the 125e behavior that they'd be detected by the LGs the same way. I also know just enough about electronics to know that I dont really know that much about all the variables involved.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:14 PM Post #43,135 of 65,679
Makes sense to me, in the end it makes things easier for me, just plug them in and dont need to worry about the extra extensions and adapters. Thought it was interesting that the RS2e did that, i just assumed based on the impedence specs and the 125e behavior that they'd be detected by the LGs the same way. I also know just enough about electronics to know that I dont really know that much about all the variables involved.

Maybe some of the people with more Grados can correct me if I am wrong but I think there are at least 3 different types of drivers used by the current Gen of Grados. I think there is a 40mm driver used by the prestige series, a 44mm used by the RS2 and GH lines and a 50mm driver used by the high end stuff. I am sure there are variants of each among those 3 types but those seem to be the basics that all of them are based on.

Assuming my theory is correct the 125e would be the 40mm and not have the same impedance characteristics.

Grado is quite careful to not reveal too much about their drivers so it is hard to tell for sure.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:34 PM Post #43,136 of 65,679
Quick first impressions: RS2e vs GH2.

The GH2 has more bass, while the RS2e highs are more extended and more resolving.

RS2e is better with the L pads. The GH2 is incredible with the G pads (more so than the RS2e). I liked the RS2e with G pads, but the highs were a little sibilant and there was a little bass missing. Both problems are solved when I put the G pads on the GH2.

The GH2 is gorgeous.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #43,137 of 65,679
Maybe some of the people with more Grados can correct me if I am wrong but I think there are at least 3 different types of drivers used by the current Gen of Grados. I think there is a 40mm driver used by the prestige series, a 44mm used by the RS2 and GH lines and a 50mm driver used by the high end stuff. I am sure there are variants of each among those 3 types but those seem to be the basics that all of them are based on.

Assuming my theory is correct the 125e would be the 40mm and not have the same impedance characteristics.

Grado is quite careful to not reveal too much about their drivers so it is hard to tell for sure.
They definitely have several different sizes of drivers, but its not unreasonable for them all to have roughly the same impedance. Grados website lists them all at 32ohm.

Sep 21, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #43,138 of 65,679

What I need to do is compare the two in the same mode, or just turn the dac off and see how they differ volume wise. Again, still some other variables, the different drivers being the main one, I'd think they'd would be pretty close, but maybe not?[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020 at 10:50 PM Post #43,139 of 65,679
Last edited:
Sep 22, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #43,140 of 65,679
I managed to tell the whole story, front and back, in one image. They fit really well on both headphones. Black would look better but they were only offering grey when I ordered.
Putting the covers on the L cushions first, then installing the cushions on the headphone removes the wrinkles; smooth fit now, looks tailor-made. I must say, I'm growing fond of the smoothed upper treble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back