Grado Fan Club!
Sep 15, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #43,066 of 65,682
Ok thank you for your detailed reply. Wondering what set you would use for particular genres ?

The PS is good for rock i guess. Lenny's guitar in 'Are you gonna go my way' is cutting right into my brain with it. Old ZZ Top Works very well, too. Also Beatles. That is not to say they'd sound bad with the RS2e, but the PS has more bass and a more compact sound. The RS are great for Miles Davis or Van Morrison. The RS are also better for Billie Eilish but that is mostly because of the devilish amount of bass her songs have.

(PS is better for Sade although it is jazz as her albums sound a little thin and tinny)

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #43,067 of 65,682
Ok thank you for your detailed reply. Wondering what set you would use for particular genres ?
Your 325e will be fantastic with guitar driven rock n roll. Other music too, probably, but most definitely that. Nobody does guitars like Grado.

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #43,069 of 65,682
958EE9B8-F8A0-4931-8AD7-DAE2302CE579.jpeg
If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad :)
Interesting choice for color combo's. I assume most people would swap the headbands and even the gimbles -- that would make the PS500e all silver on the bottom and black on the top, and the RS2e would be brown and black.

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #43,070 of 65,682
Interesting choice for color combo's. I assume most people would swap the headbands and even the gimbles -- that would make the PS500e all silver on the bottom and black on the top, and the RS2e would be brown and black.

You're right. But the silver of the gimbals and the silver of the PS are ever so slightly different and my OCD couldn't take it :) (same goes for the reddish brown of the RS and the coffee brown of the headband)

Sep 15, 2020 at 5:31 PM Post #43,071 of 65,682
THIS MAN HAS TOO MANY GRADOS: A Never ending mini series

Episode 3: Grado SR125 Beats by Grado Edition.

These are my Grado SR125. They have some kind of wooden cup mod as you can see. It makes them almost fully closed, technically, but you wouldn't know it by the way they leak sound. I did not do this mod, and dont have the details about it. I just thought they were an interesting novelty so why not buy them ?

They came with flat S type pads which I dont think were native Grado pads because they didnt quite fit right and kept sliding off. Also they suffered from "Where's the Bass" syndrome like other older Grado models. My SR60e sounded better, overall.

Ebays friendly helpful suggestion algorithms provided the solution to both of these issues. These redonkulous ear cushions are from an Ebay seller named Wang Yifei. They are advertised as "Bass Plus". That is a major understatement. They turned these mild mannered SR125s into some bass monsters. I have to EQ the bass down with them sometimes. They make the sound kind of reverb and echo-ey, which isnt what I want all the time but is kind of fun for certain occasions. They're super comfortable too, moreso than the Beautiful Audio pads I have on my 325e.

These are the headphones which inspired me to start this series because there was no reason whatsoever to get these except for once you have some Grados why not have all of them ? But they're a fun, funky listen for anything with fun, funky bass.

Attachments

• 20200915_165052.jpg
    20200915_165052.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200915_165110.jpg
    20200915_165110.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Sep 15, 2020 at 5:50 PM Post #43,072 of 65,682
You're right. But the silver of the gimbals and the silver of the PS are ever so slightly different and my OCD couldn't take it :) (same goes for the reddish brown of the RS and the coffee brown of the headband)
Yeah, I can definitely see the brown difference with the RS2e and brown headband. Funny about the silver combo on the PS500e -- that sounds just like me!!

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #43,074 of 65,682
SORRY OTHER BRANDS. HD800S 75th [which I bought btw], Focal Bentley whatever, NO.

GRADO HEMP wins 2020 for coolest looking limited edition. Game over, Grado wins, no contest!

+1

The HD800S look better in silver, IMHO. They look like the cockpit of Darth Vader's fighter.

I do like those new Focals, but they're too fancy for my tastes.

The Hemps are just perfect aesthetically. Simple, elegant, unpretentious.

Sep 16, 2020 at 2:37 PM Post #43,075 of 65,682
The HD800S look better in silver, IMHO.
I loved the HD800 silver but that color isn't available in HD800S. I think the stock HD800S "black" looks unpainted almost, bland even, with the silver grills and no silver in the frame.

Gold isn't my ideal but I like it better than the black, plus if I ever sell it maybe I'll get a few more bucks since its an LE.

I already posted a mock up I made of my ideal HD800S - gunmetal! - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/august-in-sennheiser-history.939177/post-15855489.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2020 at 7:30 PM Post #43,077 of 65,682
SORRY OTHER BRANDS. HD800S 75th [which I bought btw], Focal Bentley whatever, NO.

GRADO HEMP wins 2020 for coolest looking limited edition. Game over, Grado wins, no contest!
The whole Focal aesthetic is a turn off to me. Lots of added decoration that has no function. Not crazy about the sound either.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:35 PM Post #43,078 of 65,682
The whole Focal aesthetic is a turn off to me. Lots of added decoration that has no function. Not crazy about the sound either.
The Focal Elex has me intrigued, I read a review on Drop where someone gave up their Grados after getting the Elex which makes me believe the Elex is the most Grado sounding of the focals. Doubt that person heard the Hemp tho lol. Still I want to hear the Elex someday

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #43,079 of 65,682
The Focal Elex has me intrigued, I read a review on Drop where someone gave up their Grados after getting the Elex which makes me believe the Elex is the most Grado sounding of the focals. Doubt that person heard the Hemp tho lol. Still I want to hear the Elex someday
I’ve had the clear and eligia. Polar opposite to the Hemp. Very bright, lightweight with no natural warmth in the midrange. Lots of slam though.

Sep 16, 2020 at 7:46 PM Post #43,080 of 65,682
I’ve had the clear and eligia. Polar opposite to the Hemp. Very bright, lightweight with no natural warmth in the midrange. Lots of slam though.
Ah, I see. If the Elex is anything like those two I doubt I'd like them.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back