Grado Fan Club!
Sep 6, 2020 at 5:15 AM Post #42,901 of 66,264
Have you ever looked at Violectric? I have one of the simpler models (V220), but they have more fully featured models and even with a DAC included. The sound is phenomenal and they can deal with anything from IEM's to 600 Ohm monsters.
I tried the Violectric V280 connected both balanced to my Chord QBD76 DAC and single ended to my Hugo 2 using HD800S's, Beyer T1 Gen 2's and my Beyer T5P Gen2's (all balanced and 1/4" jack from the V280) and it was the worst headphone amp I had ever listened too.

Even the Beyer A2 (which I had at the same time) was better.

I didn't have my GS3000e's when I had these tow amps so don't know how they would have sounded.

My Hugo 2's headphone amp was far far superior to the V280 and A2 even driving the 300 Ohm HD800's ! And my GS3000e's sound better from the Hugo 2 than both the HD800S, T1's and T5P's. So sold the V280, A2, HD800 and sent the T1's back to the shop. Kept the T5p's.

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #42,903 of 66,264
Nothing too powerful here. I mean the Pathos Inpol Ear is powerful for a preamp/headphone amp for sure. After that there is pair of Audiopax Modell 88 Monoblocks (30W) and then a Wolf von Langa “Son”. (These are speakers with electromagentic drive!). Cabling is Townshend fractal throughout (the speaker cable was *not* cheap). Isolation is also Townshend Seismic with custom stands. Thinking of it, the Grado is the cheapest component in the system, including the cables :| A value, for sure!

4957A18A-E25C-4C75-A004-CE031AFDBFB9.jpeg
Excellent, thanks!

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:30 AM Post #42,904 of 66,264
That was me.
And that makes me wonder if it's worth the comission. But...my ears are my ears, no one else could decide. Intresting fact anyway. Too bad I can't try them before buying it.

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:33 AM Post #42,905 of 66,264
That was me.
Maybe one question. Can the GS3000e goes as low as the Hemp? I mean I just love how dynamic, fast the bass is on the Hemp. At the same time it can go really low...very good PRAT.

Sep 6, 2020 at 6:42 AM Post #42,906 of 66,264
Maybe one question. Can the GS3000e goes as low as the Hemp? I mean I just love how dynamic, fast the bass is on the Hemp. At the same time it can go really low...very good PRAT.
The GS3000e may actually go lower but its bass is not nearly as impactful or present. Not even close for PRAT. The part that I couldn’t live with was a midrange coloration. I heard it every time I listened. I really wanted to love them because they look so nice but just couldn’t. Like you said though, only your ears can decide.

Sep 6, 2020 at 7:15 AM Post #42,907 of 66,264
In that case I narrow my recommendation to HD820 :wink: nice bass from a closed back but still that massive soundstage presence no other closed back has.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 8:15 AM Post #42,908 of 66,264
Nothing too powerful here. I mean the Pathos Inpol Ear is powerful for a preamp/headphone amp for sure. After that there is pair of Audiopax Modell 88 Monoblocks (30W) and then a Wolf von Langa “Son”. (These are speakers with electromagentic drive!). Cabling is Townshend fractal throughout (the speaker cable was *not* cheap). Isolation is also Townshend Seismic with custom stands. Thinking of it, the Grado is the cheapest component in the system, including the cables :| A value, for sure!

4957A18A-E25C-4C75-A004-CE031AFDBFB9.jpeg
Jesus Christ, that's your house?

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:31 AM Post #42,910 of 66,264
The GS3000e may actually go lower but its bass is not nearly as impactful or present. Not even close for PRAT. The part that I couldn’t live with was a midrange coloration. I heard it every time I listened. I really wanted to love them because they look so nice but just couldn’t. Like you said though, only your ears can decide.
I never experience any midrange colouration from the GS3000e's ! Quite the opposite i.e. super clarity and separation. Mind you I am connecting direct to the Hugo 2 !

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #42,911 of 66,264
I never experience any midrange colouration from the GS3000e's ! Quite the opposite i.e. super clarity and separation. Mind you I am connecting direct to the Hugo 2 !
We all hear things differently, I have good gear too. The midrange was definitely clear and separated but tonally not quite right to my ears.

Sep 6, 2020 at 8:52 AM Post #42,912 of 66,264
So, Grado just got back to me about the 'broken headband', and they told me to just crazy glue it, and I did that already and they are fine. Love simple, practical solutions.

I asked them about the white stitching as opposed to black, and I am waiting to hear about that.

The next thing: This morning I woke up, put the phones on, and suddenly the left channel is very low in volume....I live up the street from Grado in Brooklyn, I would love to just swing by and have them look at it... But right now my intention is to just go back to Audio46 and return them, And that is sad, because I love how they sound...

Sep 6, 2020 at 9:00 AM Post #42,913 of 66,264
So, Grado just got back to me about the 'broken headband', and they told me to just crazy glue it, and I did that already and they are fine. Love simple, practical solutions.

I asked them about the white stitching as opposed to black, and I am waiting to hear about that.

The next thing: This morning I woke up, put the phones on, and suddenly the left channel is very low in volume....I live up the street from Grado in Brooklyn, I would love to just swing by and have them look at it... But right now my intention is to just go back to Audio46 and return them, And that is sad, because I love how they sound...

Seriously man just go back to the dealer and get a replacement. The longer you wait the more hassle they are going to give you and then they will think *you* broke it. You very obviously got someone's failed mod project.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:02 AM Post #42,914 of 66,264
Sep 6, 2020 at 9:03 AM Post #42,915 of 66,264

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back