Grado Fan Club!
Sep 1, 2020 at 9:17 AM Post #42,782 of 65,633
Alright guys I'm BACK IN the club

Despite Hemp losing in A/B vs my other headphones, after not using it a week I ended up missing its more "intimate" soundstage and simplicity now and then.

Technically I still feel it is inferior to the HD700, but it seems there are times I want that "Hemp sound" :)

I also got some better vacuum tubes and it helped out Hemp a large amount.
Good to hear. I will readily admit that from a technical standpoint there are many headphones that are "better" including my HiFiMan Arya. But when it comes to the recreating the feeling of live music the Hemp wins every time. I go to (well used to go to) a lot of Chicago Symphony Orchestra performances and although the Arya has a way wider soundstage better extension, especially in the treble, more detail, the Hemp is much closer to that experience. It has more weight, more fleshed out tone/timbre, way better dynamics and slam, pacing. Basically all the things that count for my personal taste.
Also agree that tube amps seem to be the way to go. After a fling with a really nice sounding Dynalo, I'm back to my PrimaLuna Evo 100.

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #42,783 of 65,633
Good to hear. I will readily admit that from a technical standpoint there are many headphones that are "better" including my HiFiMan Arya. But when it comes to the recreating the feeling of live music the Hemp wins every time. I go to (well used to go to) a lot of Chicago Symphony Orchestra performances and although the Arya has a way wider soundstage better extension, especially in the treble, more detail, the Hemp is much closer to that experience. It has more weight, more fleshed out tone/timbre, way better dynamics and slam, pacing. Basically all the things that count for my personal taste.
Also agree that tube amps seem to be the way to go. After a fling with a really nice sounding Dynalo, I'm back to my PrimaLuna Evo 100.
Yeh it's just one of those things, like how many headphones can you own. Looks like it's gonna be 4 for me - HD820, HD800S in a couple weeks, HD700, Hemp. And GSP500 but that don't count since it's gaming. And Hd25 but that don't count cuz it's my portable/beater headphone

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:54 AM Post #42,784 of 65,633
Quick question for cognoscenti: are bespoke builds, using Magnum, Ypsilon or other drivers, still considered Grado enough to qualify as 'Grado', given the similarities?

Oooh, nice. I actually haven't heard of these driver upgrades (just googled them now). I'm curious if there are other threads discussing these mods? I'd be interested in a nice pair of DIY grados, as $149 for a pair Magnum Symphones V9 sounds relatively cheap... I feel like you could get amazing sound for relatively cheap out of these drivers (if you can find a cheap frame).

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #42,785 of 65,633
Oooh, nice. I actually haven't heard of these driver upgrades (just googled them now). I'm curious if there are other threads discussing these mods? I'd be interested in a nice pair of DIY grados, as $149 for a pair Magnum Symphones V9 sounds relatively cheap... I feel like you could get amazing sound for relatively cheap out of these drivers (if you can find a cheap frame).
There is a "Grado Mods" thread, I believe. I have not checked it in a while, but I know there is a member here who has modded a ton of them with different pads, adding dampening inside the cups, detachable cable hooks up AND experimented with the different driver manufacturers. I can't remember his name, but I think he was based in Cali or Hawaii (one of those surfer states lol.) I'm sure someone in here is subscribed to and following that thread!

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #42,786 of 65,633
There is a "Grado Mods" thread, I believe. I have not checked it in a while, but I know there is a member here who has modded a ton of them with different pads, adding dampening inside the cups, detachable cable hooks up AND experimented with the different driver manufacturers. I can't remember his name, but I think he was based in Cali or Hawaii (one of those surfer states lol.) I'm sure someone in here is subscribed to and following that thread!

I've read it all, but my question remains: are such builds close enough to the Grado sweet spot to be considered 'Grado'? Ish?

Better than? As good as? Similar to? Sort of like?

I understand that there a wide range of Grados, Prestige to Pro to Statement and the rest. But are diy even in the same family?

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:10 PM Post #42,787 of 65,633
Sounds good on Hemp:

This track illustrates well the differences between HD700 and Hemp.

Hemp is much more upfront and blusterous synths rocking in your ears.

HD700 on the other hand sounds much more distant and spacious, with the synths dancing around in space but without the authority and rawness of Hemp.

Same song, two different soundstage presentations, but fairly similar tonal profile. Both sound great for different reasons.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2020 at 1:19 PM Post #42,789 of 65,633
Quick question for cognoscenti: are bespoke builds, using Magnum, Ypsilon or other drivers, still considered Grado enough to qualify as 'Grado', given the similarities?
i haven't tried newer drivers but years ago i tried magnum, i forget which version though 4/5/6 maybe?, in my opinion it's close enough, probably closer to allesandro version, the build was similar like grado rs series design, in term of technicality i think the magnum driver is better compare to my rs1 button, i can only tell from that one magnum driver version though, for the rest i have no idea

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #42,790 of 65,633
Sounds good on Hemp:

This track illustrates well the differences between HD700 and Hemp.

Hemp is much more upfront and blusterous synths rocking in your ears.

HD700 on the other hand sounds much more distant and spacious, with the synths dancing around in space but without the authority and rawness of Hemp.

Same song, two different soundstage presentations, but fairly similar tonal profile. Both sound great for different reasons.

Sounds eerily similar to the differences between the Hemp and the GS3000e. It would be cool if someone was able to compare the hd700 to the gs3000e!

The perfect Grado for me would be a GS500 Hemp headphone that had all the tonal characteristics of the Hemp but with a more expansive sound-stage, I would kill for this lol. For the moment I'm really satisfied with the Hemp, its sound-stage is quite surprising at times, reasonably present when called for.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #42,791 of 65,633
Sounds eerily similar to the differences between the Hemp and the GS3000e. It would be cool if someone was able to compare the hd700 to the gs3000e!

The perfect Grado for me would be a GS500 Hemp headphone that had all the tonal characteristics of the Hemp but with a more expansive sound-stage, I would kill for this lol. For the moment I'm really satisfied with the Hemp, its sound-stage is quite surprising at times, reasonably present when called for.
I'm not sure if the special qualities of the Hemp could be combined with an expansive soundstage. To get the stage, the mids need to be pulled back and in that process, the intimacy, warmth, natural tone and impact are lost. Phones with good impact and weight such as the LCD-X, HD650, Clear, etc. all have a narrow soundstage.

Sep 1, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #42,792 of 65,633
I'm not sure if the special qualities of the Hemp could be combined with an expansive soundstage. To get the stage, the mids need to be pulled back and in that process, the intimacy, warmth, natural tone and impact are lost. Phones with good impact and weight such as the LCD-X, HD650, Clear, etc. all have a narrow soundstage.
True, seems like I'm chasing unicorns haha

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #42,793 of 65,633
Picked up my Sony 1000XM4 today. The BBR staff were so nice and thanked me for supporting small businesses.

Unfortunately, their Grado demo lineup has been reduced, and it seems they sold their GS3000e/PS2000e demos. I got to quickly demo the PS500e, the RS1e, and the GH4. With no EQ and just hearing them at stock, I'd say GH4 > PS500e > RS1e. Yeah, the stock RS1e really doesn't sound like a typical Grado at all. Maybe johanchandy and I should meet up so that I can try the Hemp :beyersmile:

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #42,794 of 65,633
Picked up my Sony 1000XM4 today. The BBR staff were so nice and thanked me for supporting small businesses.

Unfortunately, their Grado demo lineup has been reduced, and it seems they sold their GS3000e/PS2000e demos. I got to quickly demo the PS500e, the RS1e, and the GH4. With no EQ and just hearing them at stock, I'd say GH4 > PS500e > RS1e. Yeah, the stock RS1e really doesn't sound like a typical Grado at all. Maybe johanchandy and I should meet up so that I can try the Hemp :beyersmile:
Just mention a time and place haha

Would be nice to meet up! 👍

Sep 1, 2020 at 9:43 PM Post #42,795 of 65,633
Since there's a lot of talk here about the Hemp, I just posted some quick thoughts using the DF Cobalt with it (and only it) in the portable amp section, in the event anyone ever considered pairing the two on the go.
Figured I would transition this here, as I really only care about pairing with the Hemp. There were some good things about the Cobalt, but not enough to keep it and I'll be returning it. I don't think there's going to be a super-portable that can beat the Apple dongle overall here, but I would be interested in a sub-$300 semi-portable that I can plug the iPhone in at work with the CCK. Any suggestions? My main complaint with the dongle is the bass is just a bit too boomy. The Cobalt removed that, which was great, but also removed the Hemp "fun" a bit too much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back