Grado Fan Club!
Aug 31, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #42,766 of 65,633
the only dragon i guess :D
800px-Nakamichi_Dragon.jpg
You're funny. I can't afford that! Most Nakamichi decks are ridiculously priced, even if they are amazing. I will say that this Integra I just got surprised me with how high the treble extension can go on a standard mass produced tape! Unfortunately that means a decent amount of hiss until I switch on the "High" or "Metal" bias setting. The Dolby B & C NR is not worth it so far -- to me it sounds like AGC (auto gain control) + digital NR on a ham radio. Except on radio, you have a maximum bandwidth of ~3KHz on SSB or 8~10KHz AM which means you can basically chop off the top 10+KHz of the spectrum and do some DSP on the rest of the white noise. On tape, it just causes that "pumping" effect. Kind of like when a carb isn't tuned right and the idle revs hunt.

I do want to get me a nice Metal tape and record some FLACs and LPs to it to see if the sound has a noticeable change!

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:01 PM Post #42,767 of 65,633
The whole concept of QA is that yours may be fine, but the one the next guy buys catches fire and burns down his house. If "Breeze Audio" gets a bad rap, it makes no difference. They simply change the name to something else, because no one is buying it for the name they are buying it for the price. Something a well known company can't do. On top of it, there is zero that can be done to hold the manufacturer responsible due to their location.

There are tube options from well respected brands at the $250 price point like the garage1217 project sunrise III, so why roll the dice with "breeze audio" ??? Penny wise and pound foolish.
I'm going to take this to pm as I think you must have some personal grudge which does not need to be aired on the forum. We can share our experience privately. It is obvious you don't even know who this manufacturer is. I do. We can discuss it in a private pm no need to involve on this open Grado forum.

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:26 PM Post #42,769 of 65,633
You're funny. I can't afford that! Most Nakamichi decks are ridiculously priced, even if they are amazing. I will say that this Integra I just got surprised me with how high the treble extension can go on a standard mass produced tape! Unfortunately that means a decent amount of hiss until I switch on the "High" or "Metal" bias setting. The Dolby B & C NR is not worth it so far -- to me it sounds like AGC (auto gain control) + digital NR on a ham radio. Except on radio, you have a maximum bandwidth of ~3KHz on SSB or 8~10KHz AM which means you can basically chop off the top 10+KHz of the spectrum and do some DSP on the rest of the white noise. On tape, it just causes that "pumping" effect. Kind of like when a carb isn't tuned right and the idle revs hunt.

I do want to get me a nice Metal tape and record some FLACs and LPs to it to see if the sound has a noticeable change!

hahaha, that dragon name alone already made me super curious, yeah they do made uber expensive stuff as in most of the high end japanese products during those bubble era. even the used one still ridiculously expensive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-...730864?hash=item289bcf11f0:g:ZbUAAOSwpqtfSV3P

have you tried reel to reel? i don't have much experience with cassette actually, especially high end since i only used aiwa walkman and some sony cassette deck back in the day, from reading articles at recent times, i just realized tape actually have some kind of groove, at the cassette they have some kind of magnetic pattern and the head itself also could worn out which make me a bit wonder is there any chance the hiss actually coming from either worn out head or not so pristine cassette condition? btw so far which one you prefer cassette or cd?

Aug 31, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #42,770 of 65,633
hahaha, that dragon name alone already made me super curious, yeah they do made uber expensive stuff as in most of the high end japanese products during those bubble era. even the used one still ridiculously expensive
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Nakamichi-...730864?hash=item289bcf11f0:g:ZbUAAOSwpqtfSV3P

have you tried reel to reel? i don't have much experience with cassette actually, especially high end since i only used aiwa walkman and some sony cassette deck back in the day, from reading articles at recent times, i just realized tape actually have some kind of groove, at the cassette they have some kind of magnetic pattern and the head itself also could worn out which make me a bit wonder is there any chance the hiss actually coming from either worn out head or not so pristine cassette condition? btw so far which one you prefer cassette or cd?

I've never heard a Reel to Reel, and wish to some day! I used to have cassette decks in cars up until my car about 10 years ago lol. But those were all junk. Back then, I just cared about loud! I dunno, I will say that the amp section of this deck seems to have a "warming" or liquefying effect, unless that's just the tape medium! This Temple of the Dog tape is pristine and definitely sound better than the CD version. Again, I can't say with authority if it's the tape, the deck, or the master the tape was recorded from. But I've already listened to it twice today and need to find a computer with a line-in jack soon! I wanna convert this to FLAC to archive and see if I can hear the difference vs my CD>FLAC copy. Maybe I can do a comparison in Audacity once I do?

Aug 31, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #42,771 of 65,633
I've never heard a Reel to Reel, and wish to some day! I used to have cassette decks in cars up until my car about 10 years ago lol. But those were all junk. Back then, I just cared about loud! I dunno, I will say that the amp section of this deck seems to have a "warming" or liquefying effect, unless that's just the tape medium! This Temple of the Dog tape is pristine and definitely sound better than the CD version. Again, I can't say with authority if it's the tape, the deck, or the master the tape was recorded from. But I've already listened to it twice today and need to find a computer with a line-in jack soon! I wanna convert this to FLAC to archive and see if I can hear the difference vs my CD>FLAC copy. Maybe I can do a comparison in Audacity once I do?
sounds like an exciting project!

Aug 31, 2020 at 11:40 PM Post #42,773 of 65,633
I just received this Draug 3 for HD600, but more looks like I’ll have to order another one for the Hemps. Aesthetically it’s going to be hard to beat this combo!
Hemp+Draug.jpg
I think I just got a little buzz looking at this! That is sweeet!

Now, will you guys burnin' on about the Hemp and let me enjoy my new GH2's without wanting to try the Hemp also??!!!! I love/hate this place!

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:12 AM Post #42,775 of 65,633
I would advise against plugging any thing expensive into aliexpress products considering the typical QA from sellers on that site. No need to fry your nice headphones on an amp from a sketch company that has no reputation to protect

Tube hybrids can sound fantastic but not all do; but for grado you can go to garage1217 and get a garage1217-built Project Sunrise III for $255 and have a lot more long term confidence in both the amp and what's connected to it than anything bought off aliexpress.... And it will sound great.
I was going to ask if anyone here has tried the Project Polaris. Do you think the Sunrise III would be a better option?

Sep 1, 2020 at 12:35 AM Post #42,776 of 65,633
I just received this Draug 3 for HD600, but more looks like I’ll have to order another one for the Hemps. Aesthetically it’s going to be hard to beat this combo!
How did you get the buttons off the grills? Did you just pull until they came off?

Sep 1, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #42,778 of 65,633
the only dragon i guess :D
800px-Nakamichi_Dragon.jpg
Awesome....... Cassette playback at it's finest. With great recordings, after a Nagra reel to reel and then top vinyl player this is next !. Beats all the modern digital stuff hands down. Analogue forever !

Sep 1, 2020 at 8:42 AM Post #42,780 of 65,633
Alright guys I'm BACK IN the club

Despite Hemp losing in A/B vs my other headphones, after not using it a week I ended up missing its more "intimate" soundstage and simplicity now and then.

Technically I still feel it is inferior to the HD700, but it seems there are times I want that "Hemp sound" :)

I also got some better vacuum tubes and it helped out Hemp a large amount.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back