Grado Fan Club!
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:14 AM Post #42,436 of 65,633
Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #42,437 of 65,633
Thanks! I came across a reddit post stating the mojo sounds pretty similar to the hugo 2 but without all the extra features the hugo 2 has, is this true?

https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones...odimagni/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app
Not to my ears. The Mojo is a great portable DAC Amp, perhaps one of the best for the money and will sound fine with the GS3000e's. But the Hugo 2 is a big step up from the Mojo as it is much clearer throughout the frequency range, more transparency, deeper and bigger sound stage. Some people say the Hugo 2 is a colder sounding DAC to the Mojo which it is to a certain extent (mainly due to its transparency and thus poor quality recordings sound sibilant and harsh), but as the GS3000e's have a slight warmth to them any coldness or sibilance from the Hugo 2 (due to poor quality recordings) is tamed a bit by the GS3000e's.
I have read from reviews that the GS3000e's scale well on higher quality equipment and more powerful amps. So I would like to try some higher end equipment and see / hear for myself.

Aug 22, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #42,438 of 65,633
The AKG K553 is great headphone. Buy it from a place with a good return policy in case you don't like it...but if you don't like it, there is something wrong with you. :sunglasses:
Thanks for the suggestion! Do you happen to know how those compare to the K371 that have been getting so much hype?

https://medium.com/@Xander51/audio-dictionary-warm-vs-neutral-vs-bright-and-the-role-your-brain-plays-in-all-this-2ec761759f7b#:~:text=“Bright” is the opposite of warm. Bright gear,to reveal hisses and other imperfections in recordings.

My favorite closed backs at the moment are my Final Audio Sonorous II. I would call them bright, as compared to my Ultrasones which have big thumping bass and are "warm" I guess. So they're kinda Grado-y, if thats what you're after.

Thank you for the article! It definitely cleared up some of my confusion! So Grados are considered more on the bright side?

Thank you for the suggestion! I will look into them! :)

If you like the Grado style and sound I would recommend the closed back Master and Dynamic MH40

I think I do at least. I don't really have much experience with different headphones outside of Skullcandy but the Grados that I have I enjoy. xD thank you for the recommendation!

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #42,440 of 65,633
I just got a pair of Hemps delivered today so letting them burn in. I notice there is a decent amount of creaking around the housing when swiveling. I assume this is normal given the material?
Enjoy the Hemps they are amazing IMO. Any creaking is pretty normal and will go away after a bit of use. Grado has used that suspension on all their models for as long as I can remember and it is simple and durable.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:47 AM Post #42,441 of 65,633
I just got a pair of Hemps delivered today so letting them burn in. I notice there is a decent amount of creaking around the housing when swiveling. I assume this is normal given the material?
Yes that’s normal. It doesn’t happen when you’re wearing them.

Aug 22, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #42,442 of 65,633
Enjoy the Hemps they are amazing IMO. Any creaking is pretty normal and will go away after a bit of use. Grado has used that suspension on all their models for as long as I can remember and it is simple and durable.
Yes that’s normal. It doesn’t happen when you’re wearing them.

Thanks for verifying. I haven't had a Grado since the RS1 and SR325 of olden days, but this reminds me of them for sure. A little more bass and less treble than I remember, but that could also be the pads.

Aug 22, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #42,443 of 65,633
Reddit hates anything brighter than a HD6XX, The sub spent months and more hating the DT 1990 for it treble. Stopped caring when they went full defensive on the HD820 or bright planar/electrostatic headphones with flat but tight bass(like grado).

Whether Reddit or elsewhere its easier to go with the grain than go against the grain. Herd behavior. It's also easier on the wallet to justify a HD6xx and some Topping stack that "measures well" even if the actual sound quality is mediocre. Right now my top 3 headphones are HD820, HD700, and Hemp. I also plan to add an HD800S for late night listening at some point; also interested in demoing GS3000. But I've had to defend the HD700 on numerous occasions because while its not perfect there is lots to like about it with the right material on the right gear. I had the HD600 and thought it sounded mundane and unspectacular. I'd take any of the three above over HD6xx.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 3:14 PM Post #42,444 of 65,633
Whether Reddit or elsewhere its easier to go with the grain than go against the grain. Herd behavior. It's also easier on the wallet to justify a HD6xx and some Topping stack that "measures well" even if the actual sound quality is mediocre.

Yup, I don't get the whole thing about 'measuring well' either. IMO, gear that measures well does not necessarily sound good, and gear that sounds great sometimes don't measure well.

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:15 PM Post #42,445 of 65,633
Yup, I don't get the whole thing about 'measuring well' either. IMO, gear that measures well does not necessarily sound good, and gear that sounds great sometimes don't measure well.
Pretty simple IMO - it's easy to manufacture something that measures well, doesn't sound good, isn't built well, and is cheap. It's also psychologically easy to defend/justify a purchase that doesn't sound good, isn't built well, and is cheap by saying it measures well.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #42,446 of 65,633
Whether Reddit or elsewhere its easier to go with the grain than go against the grain. Herd behavior. It's also easier on the wallet to justify a HD6xx and some Topping stack that "measures well" even if the actual sound quality is mediocre. Right now my top 3 headphones are HD820, HD700, and Hemp. I also plan to add an HD800S for late night listening at some point; also interested in demoing GS3000. But I've had to defend the HD700 on numerous occasions because while its not perfect there is lots to like about it with the right material on the right gear. I had the HD600 and thought it sounded mundane and unspectacular. I'd take any of the three above over HD6xx.
I enjoyed the HD700 quite a bit too. Once when I said that on headfi, a guy sent me a threatening PM that I reported. He was banned after that.

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #42,447 of 65,633
I enjoyed the HD700 quite a bit too. Once when I said that on headfi, a guy sent me a threatening PM that I reported. He was banned after that.

LOL. What did he say?

Aug 22, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #42,449 of 65,633

Whoa...it's amazing the lengths some people will go to just to make their point known. 😧

Protecting the herd narrative :)

Actually listening to Star Wars Revenge of the Sith soundtrack on HD700 right now, sounds spectacular.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 4:01 PM Post #42,450 of 65,633
LOL. What did he say?
Paraphrasing that I and all my family members were idiots and if he knew where I lived he’d come over and do something.
All because I liked a headphone that was supposed to be terrible sounding.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back