Grado Fan Club!
Jun 16, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #41,596 of 65,605
Ok really enjoying my PS1000e, both yesterday and today. The new amp makes a big difference, bringing these things to life. On the old amp I usually preferred the HD650 (which sounds great on the new rig as well!) It makes me really want to hear the PS2000e and/or the GS3000e.
GS3000e's are fantastic both to look at and hear. I am planning to try and listen to a pair of PS2000e's and compare with the GS3000e's hopefully in the not too distant future.

Jun 16, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #41,597 of 65,605
I'm liking the RS2e with 414 pads (they tame the highs a little better than the bowls).

g6.JPG

Jun 16, 2020 at 9:59 PM Post #41,598 of 65,605
Also a lot of the Grado headphones are very revealing and transparent and if you have a crappy system and source and crappy produced Vinyl, CD's or music files you will soon know about it.
I am glad you said that.This is why Grado’s occupy such a special and unique place in my collection. I own the RS1i’s, The Alessandro MS-Pro, and the GS2ke’s. I absolutely can see how and why Grado’s are described as treble cannons, screechy, grating, etc. Grado’s do have emphatic treble, along with forward mids, and polite bass in most instances. These traits, in my opinion, are perfect conditions for a mind blowing detailed presentation or insight into any recording! I am a purist in that I will never swap out pads on a headphone nor introduce EQ into my listening sessions. Maybe that will change one day who knows? I have considered purchasing the Schiit Audio Loki for fun. Maybe that will be a revelatory experience? I simply want to hear every part of my playback chain unadulterated. So am I surprised to hear poorly recorded or poorly mastered tracks sound terrible? No. In fact it’s part of the experience; I just use a lower volume. I absolutely love how crazy accentuated the detail are on my GS2Ke’s. I love how my Alessandro MS-Pro’s let me get lost in anything classical and keep such pure tonality. I love the holographic vocals that the RS1i’s bathe me in every time I put them on with that toe tapping mid-bass hump. Admittedly I reserve my highest resolution music and playback chain to listen to my Grado’s because I respect them and value what they add to my music listening enjoyment, in fact, they still surprise me still to this day. Grado’s are simply a different flavor. They differ from my Audeze LCD-X’s, my Beyerdynamic T1 1st Gen’s, and my AKG K702 Annie’s but that isn’t a bad things because they add to my experience of music not detract. I recently discovered that Alessandro Cortini who is part of NIN, is a recording engineer, and electronic artist in his own right; uses his RS1’s as his sole headphone for the last 12 years! So all this to say, nothing sounds like Grado’s do and that’s not bad, just different. You might find that once you hear them you won’t fully be able appreciate them until you have listened to myriad of other brands but I guarantee you, Grado’s will always pique your interest, if not, win you over again and again. Just my .02 thus far! Hahaha [stepping down from my soap box now].

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 9:36 PM Post #41,600 of 65,605
Hello Grado fans, please help me out.
I am forced to listen to headphones while I work, and I recently invested in a gear... Senn hd598 (open), Sony 7506 (closed), and a Schiit Valli 2 to get a little more out of the headphones with tidal.
No I have had the Grado 80 back in the late 90s, and it did not leave me with a good impression back then, because of the thick and noisy cables and the overall comfort.
With that said, I must have a Grado in my collection.
What would you suggest... a 60, or a 325, or a GH3?
THese are the three I have on my list, thinking that the 60 is 90% of Grado;s best at low cost/low risk, and that the 325 or GH3 incarnate perfectly what the Grado sounds is and very close to the very best.
thank you!

Jun 17, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #41,601 of 65,605
I am forced to listen to headphones while I work, and I recently invested in a gear... Senn hd598 (open), Sony 7506 (closed), and a Schiit Valli 2 to get a little more out of the headphones with tidal.
No I have had the Grado 80 back in the late 90s, and it did not leave me with a good impression back then, because of the thick and noisy cables and the overall comfort.
THese are the three I have on my list, thinking that the 60 is 90% of Grado;s best at low cost/low risk, and that the 325 or GH3 incarnate perfectly what the Grado sounds is and very close to the very best.
thank you!

A long time Grado fan,
my suggestion is the 325e.
I disagree with your statement
that the SRH60 is "90% of Grado's best
at low cost/low risk"
The 325e's are really fine headphones
and a great value as well.
There's more to say (always), but this
is the key info IMHO.

Jun 17, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #41,602 of 65,605
thank you!

I would go for a used SR325 if you already owned a Grado back in the day and you were not too happy. You might find that Grado is not for you again. I can tell you that if you didn't like the cable you should stay away from an RS2e at all costs (I freaking hate the cable). I think the GH3 comes with the same cable as the one on the SR325 (which is not too bad, IMO).

Jun 18, 2020 at 3:41 AM Post #41,603 of 65,605
I would go for a used SR325 if you already owned a Grado back in the day and you were not too happy. You might find that Grado is not for you again. I can tell you that if you didn't like the cable you should stay away from an RS2e at all costs (I freaking hate the cable). I think the GH3 comes with the same cable as the one on the SR325 (which is not too bad, IMO).
I have the RS2e and I have to agree that there is no excuse for using this fixed garden hose cable. You cannot remove or change it without seriously modding the drivers. I own other headphones and I cannot think of any other manufacturer that puts cables on their $500 headphones like this. The RS2e is a very good sounding headphone. I like it and use it often but what were they smoking when they decided to make this garden hose their finishing touch on what is a fine headphone. I may pay to get them modded at some point. I haven't seen grado's higher models but I hope they don't use this same garden hose cable.

Jun 18, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #41,604 of 65,605
thank you!

sr60 is pretty much safe bet,low risk also
if you have the budget, gh3 seems fine too.i haven't try it but from my point of view, it's seems like a modded low end grado. i mean if you have sr60/80/125 and then you starting modifying it, using wood cup all that stuff, you're gonna pretty much ended up slightly less of gh3 cost, so might just pick up gh3 and hassle free

I have the RS2e and I have to agree that there is no excuse for using this fixed garden hose cable. You cannot remove or change it without seriously modding the drivers. I own other headphones and I cannot think of any other manufacturer that puts cables on their $500 headphones like this. The RS2e is a very good sounding headphone. I like it and use it often but what were they smoking when they decided to make this garden hose their finishing touch on what is a fine headphone. I may pay to get them modded at some point. I haven't seen grado's higher models but I hope they don't use this same garden hose cable.

not sure if they using the same cable or different.but in ps1000e they using 12 cables so it's thick and heavy but the headphone itself already heavy

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 12:03 PM Post #41,606 of 65,605

Yeah, the cable is ridiculous. It's funny that people complain about the cable used in the Prestige Series...they have no idea what a bad cable really is unless they upgrade to the higher end Grados. Can you imagine using an RS2 as a portable headphone? :astonished:

I wonder if the HF3 cable is better. If it is, I hope Grado starts using that cable on their other models.

Jun 18, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #41,607 of 65,605
They use a thicker garden hose on the higher end models. RS2e has an 8 conductor cable, the higher end use a 12 conductor cable. To be fair the cable is very high quality and has low microphonics.

Jun 18, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #41,608 of 65,605
They use a thicker garden hose on the higher end models. RS2e has an 8 conductor cable, the higher end use a 12 conductor cable. To be fair the cable is very high quality and has low microphonics.

This is also true of the RS2e cable, but I still don't like it. It's like an anchor.

Thanks for the info. I think I'll stay away from the higher end models then...unless I find a used one with an aftermarket cable.

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2020 at 6:44 PM Post #41,609 of 65,605
Yesterday (June 17th) I came across the article "To be blunt, Grado’s $420 hemp headphones are much more than a gimmick" in the online tech magazine 'Digital Trends'. It contains a good deal of information specific to the creative process that went into the development of the soon to be released "Hemp 'phones" from Grado, as well as some insightful commentary on how Grado Labs goes about designing and developing new headphones in general.

My only question is, does the release of the Grado Labs "Hemp 'phones" mean that both Jonathan and Matthew will henceforth be known as "The Doobie Brothers of Brooklyn"? :)

Jun 18, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #41,610 of 65,605
thank you!
Thank you for your advices! After doing a little more reading, I think I am going to go with the 225e... Cheaper than 325, and a bit bigger than the GR3. Probably a good start to taste Grado.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back