Grado Fan Club!
May 27, 2020 at 5:44 AM Post #41,416 of 65,648
Hi Everybody,
new member of the Grado team, I come to ask for advice. I bought a GH3 barely 2 years ago and the right pad is completely detached from the headband. I am disappointed in the quality for the price sold. But I love this headphone so much that I find it great anyway.
Has someone already had this problem?
what do you mean by detached? is it the black plastic block that hold the gimbal/yoke? do you have any picture?

May 27, 2020 at 5:47 AM Post #41,417 of 65,648
DSC_0276 (1).JPG

May 27, 2020 at 5:58 AM Post #41,418 of 65,648
ahhh yeah sometimes that's happen, rarely, but it happens. normally you need to apply some force to shake those things off but rarely it just fell off, no idea why( i haven't experience it myself). you just need to pop that back in, it'll hold, at least in my case

i don't know if grado put some glue for it or not but i reckon probably not

May 27, 2020 at 6:09 AM Post #41,419 of 65,648
I do not know how it is mounted, but it does not hold when I put it even by forcing a little. I don't dare put on glue for fear of the result
ahhh yeah sometimes that's happen, rarely, but it happens. normally you need to apply some force to shake those things off but rarely it just fell off, no idea why( i haven't experience it myself). you just need to pop that back in, it'll hold, at least in my case

I do not know how it is mounted, but it does not hold when I put it even by forcing a little. I don't dare put on glue for fear of the result

May 27, 2020 at 6:18 AM Post #41,420 of 65,648

sorry to hear that, in that case you need to ask your dealer or try to contact grado, perhaps there's some faulty instruments in your unit.
in my case, i need to detached those part to change the headband, 3 headphones, sr60, rs1, and ps1000e, for all of them i just pop them back in, and they all hold, i didn't put any glue in it since i didn't see any glue residue in those part so i reckon grado probably not put glue in the first place

May 27, 2020 at 6:40 AM Post #41,421 of 65,648
sorry to hear that, in that case you need to ask your dealer or try to contact grado, perhaps there's some faulty instruments in your unit.
in my case, i need to detached those part to change the headband, 3 headphones, sr60, rs1, and ps1000e, for all of them i just pop them back in, and they all hold, i didn't put any glue in it since i didn't see any glue residue in those part so i reckon grado probably not put glue in the first place

Yes that's what I think too. I will take it to my dealer. With events happening at covid it's just going to be a little more complicated. thanks a lot for your help

May 27, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #41,423 of 65,648
Looking at my GH4's I think you could try sliding the headband up a little, exposing a little more of the metal band. There is probably a nub inside the block that engages the hole and holds it... Good luck!
Doug

Thank you very much for this advice. I tried to put it back but I can't do it and I'm afraid of making it worse (it s only plastic inside). I will first see with my dealer what he tells me. Thanks everyone

May 27, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #41,424 of 65,648
Itching is a sign that the pads are irritating. LOL

But I'll try washing them...'cause I have nothing to lose.
Happy to supply a laugh.

I had a reaction to a recent pair of IEM's (Drop NobleX). My skin where the ears meet the skull were scaly with a fluid emission. The irritation matched the IEM's cable routing.

Before going to my dermatologist, I applied a topical steroid cream, and wiped my IEM's cables down several times with alcohol using a microfiber cloth. The skin cleared up, no more problems.

I always wash new clothing, and rely on certain proven personal wash products.

I hope the pad washing works for you.

May 29, 2020 at 12:59 AM Post #41,425 of 65,648
Yes, Grado glues their rod blocks because I've had some real hard time removing a few and could see the dried glue on the spring steel (headband).

Pull yourself together and apply a light coating of plastic model glue on the end of spring steel (headband) and push it back into the rod block and let it dry. Your headphones will be fine after that. Also, there is nothing else that holds the spring steel (headband) and rod block together, at all.

May 29, 2020 at 11:20 AM Post #41,426 of 65,648
The foam on my PS500 is disinterigating :frowning2:

If you have not had a set of Grado pads disintegrate on you at least once then you are not a true Grado fan.

It is a write of passage. You should have inserted a happy smiley instead of the sad one you used. 😎

May 29, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #41,427 of 65,648
If you have not had a set of Grado pads disintegrate on you at least once then you are not a true Grado fan.

It is a write of passage. You should have inserted a happy smiley instead of the sad one you used. 😎

I just got a new set of pads for my 80s. The new ones are quite different, smaller and more abrasive feeling, and seem to be a totally different material.. Not sure when they changed them? The old ones were nice and soft, much more comfy. However the new material seems to let a bit more detail through.

Have also had to replace my 325is pads, new ones weren’t any different.

But yes, seems to be a rite of passage for Grado lovers. :)

Last edited:
May 30, 2020 at 3:09 AM Post #41,428 of 65,648
I had ordered several earpads to try on my RS2e but never got around to this one until today. Holly cow these angled L pads opened the sound stage and brought out more tonal separation. Cheap and simple upgrade. Interesting that these still rest on part of the ear they are not totally over ear but the sound is worth the change. Here is a link to the ones I ordered but please note I'm sure you can find the manufacturers website to order direct (sorry for the Thai pricing). Maybe it is just the angle of these pads that is opening things up? Still maintains great focus.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/m...ear-cups-style-g-i591688897-s1107670253.html?

May 30, 2020 at 4:51 AM Post #41,429 of 65,648

Users who are viewing this thread

Back