Grado Fan Club!
May 20, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #41,401 of 65,818
hi, to long term Grado owners. How fare it in the long term? I am considering to buy a 10 years old unit in apparently good condition (sr225) but i'm not sure if it could appear some problems with drivers, cable, ... Any of you have them for most than ten years?
Not a problem and would be easy to fix if a problem ever did develope. I have my RS1 since they were first made, 1994. I listened to them for years as my only phone. I still listen to them and they sound great and never needed any service other than to change the ear pads when worn. I have a lot of years of Grados in my home and only one service, just a new wire. They are great people to deal with (the whole family works at Grado).

I would say go for it, you are bound to be happy.

Enjoy,
Be Safe

PS Well, they should be well broken in as in good but if they have been sitting idle for a few years they could probably sound better after you put some listening time in on them.

Keep us posted.

This how my early RS1 looks today. Still a killer phone and super comfortable
Grado RS1.JPG

Last edited:
May 20, 2020 at 8:05 PM Post #41,403 of 65,818
The SR-225 series was always a sweet spot for very good performance at a very reasonable price.
Not a problem and would be easy to fix if a problem ever did develope. I have my RS1 since they were first made, 1994. I listened to them for years as my only phone. I still listen to them and they sound great and never needed any service other than to change the ear pads when worn. I have a lot of years of Grados in my home and only one service, just a new wire. They are great people to deal with (the whole family works at Grado).

I would say go for it, you are bound to be happy.

Enjoy,
Be Safe

PS Well, they should be well broken in as in good but if they have been sitting idle for a few years they could probably sound better after you put some listening time in on them.

Keep us posted.

This how my early RS1 looks today. Still a killer phone and super comfortable
Grado RS1.JPG
I purchased my original model SR 325 some 20 yrs. ago.

One gimbal recently cracked at the pin, resulting in the phone falling free. Several glue attempts failed.

I emailed Grado requesting assistance on purchasing a new gimbal (having been unsuccessful sourcing a replacement on the web). My email was answered within an hour or so. "Email them my address, and they'd send a replacement, gratis".

I recived the gimbal today in the mail. Listenting now (with my newish Schitt Asgard 3, a great improvement over my original Creek OBH-11). Good folks at Grado.

May 20, 2020 at 8:48 PM Post #41,404 of 65,818
May 20, 2020 at 11:48 PM Post #41,405 of 65,818
Hello all!
I searched and tried to find the right thing on my own but it’s been hard here in Europe, so I wanted to post and ask to see if anyone could suggest a place in EU where I could purchase a substitute plastic cap for my RS1, since one got lost.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Look here, or go to, or order them from EU eBay member or your local hobby shop.
They're RC antenna caps.

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 3:51 AM Post #41,407 of 65,818
hi, to long term Grado owners. How fare it in the long term? I am considering to buy a 10 years old unit in apparently good condition (sr225) but i'm not sure if it could appear some problems with drivers, cable, ... Any of you have them for most than ten years?

as long as it's been using in "normal" way, it's pretty much rare case for driver or cable failure in grado headphones, the only thing you need to replace is just the ear pads because it's only last for about 5-6 years at most unless you put them in ziplock bag

and if there is a problem with the headphone, as long as you live in us, just contact grado and they could fix it for you

Last edited:
May 21, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #41,408 of 65,818
I'm the newest member of the club after just taking delivery of the SR80e. They weren't what I was expecting based on what the internets was telling me. They have some excellent bass. Yes, the top end is airy and very crisp, but it's not eardrum blood-inducing terror as some would believe.

I'm still breaking in my brain with them as I can only listen to them for a few hours at a time. I'm coming from the Sennheiser camp, so these require an adjustment, but so far I really like them. Glad I took a chance.

I also bought the L-Cush pads, but I didn't like them at all. They felt a little weird on my ears and made the top end a little too crisp. Maybe after some more brain bake, I'll try them again.

May 25, 2020 at 8:42 PM Post #41,409 of 65,818
I also bought the L-Cush pads, but I didn't like them at all. They felt a little weird on my ears and made the top end a little too crisp. Maybe after some more brain bake, I'll try them again.

The only pads I can stand on a Grado are the 414s. Anything else make my ears itch like hell.

But pads aside, my love affair with Grado will never end. I want to buy an RS-2 next...I keep checking the sales forum but no one is selling theirs.

Last edited:
May 25, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #41,410 of 65,818
The only pads I can stand on a Grado are the 414s. Anything else make my ears itch like hell.

But pads aside, my love affair with Grado will never end. I want to buy an RS-2 next...I keep checking the sales forum but no one is selling theirs.
Itching is a sign of irritation. I suggest you clean your pads of sufficants. Use a mild detergent (I use Ivory liquid), and immerse each pad. Squeeze the pad dry, repeat 3 times. Air dry.

May 26, 2020 at 4:15 AM Post #41,411 of 65,818

For second hand headphones (and many other hifi equipment around the world) check out hifishark - https://www.hifishark.com
You can refine your search down to location and type of equipment you are looking for. It lists adverts from all of the major hifi sites including Head-Fi.org

May 26, 2020 at 3:29 PM Post #41,412 of 65,818
Itching is a sign of irritation.

Itching is a sign that the pads are irritating. LOL

But I'll try washing them...'cause I have nothing to lose.

May 26, 2020 at 9:06 PM Post #41,413 of 65,818
Hello guys,

I have been a grado's fan since my GS1000 have landed on my desk. I am looking for some information on re-cabling, I do not have any bias for or against cable mods.
I have noticed that the cables between the headphones and the T junctions are starting to get weak (specifically at the T junction section).

Do you have any recommendation?

May 27, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #41,414 of 65,818
Hello guys,

I have been a grado's fan since my GS1000 have landed on my desk. I am looking for some information on re-cabling, I do not have any bias for or against cable mods.
I have noticed that the cables between the headphones and the T junctions are starting to get weak (specifically at the T junction section).

Do you have any recommendation?
I know moon audio does cable mods with Grados. You could also contact Grado for them to replace the cable. The hard part of the cable mod is to remove the glue to take it apart. Supposedly Grado has a way of removing the glue without damaging the cup.

May 27, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #41,415 of 65,818
Hi Everybody,
new member of the Grado team, I come to ask for advice. I bought a GH3 barely 2 years ago and the right pad is completely detached from the headband. I am disappointed in the quality for the price sold. But I love this headphone so much that I find it great anyway.
Has someone already had this problem?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back