Grado Fan Club!
Apr 22, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #41,221 of 65,633
Fair enough.

A few of the more audio focused reviews I saw on the Buds were quite critical of the sound.

I can certainly pick out far more detail when using the SR80e's.

New pads was something as I was going to ask about actually as I saw quite a lot of people saying they make a big difference. I don't mind the stock pads but I definitely start to feel my ears get a bit warm after some listening. Are any of the over ear pads any good?

The extra “detail” you hear is likely mainly due to boosted treble. Its not that your buds were underdelivering, its more of the Grado overdelivering.:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/grado/sr80e-sr80

But this is from speculation. Ive not heard buds personally or even read much into them.

Apr 23, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #41,222 of 65,633
try some knock off g-pad, plenty of options on ebay and amazon. also quite cheap. my advice is to pick the cheapest so you could get the idea, if you ready to spend more money on earpads then you're gonna have some fun:D
Thanks for the suggestion!

I've seen some posts online saying different pads can change the sound somewhat? Can anyone comment on how the g pads might change things?

The extra “detail” you hear is likely mainly due to boosted treble. Its not that your buds were underdelivering, its more of the Grado overdelivering.:
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/grado/sr80e-sr80

But this is from speculation. Ive not heard buds personally or even read much into them.
Fair enough, maybe I'm just a "treblehead" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - after listening to the Grados I find the bass on the Buds to be somewhat overwhelming, it's definitely harder to pick out individual instruments and details.

I also find the bass on the Grados to be tighter (not sure if I'm using the right terminology there...) - drums and basslines seem much cleaner whereas with the Buds it sounds like the bass notes blend together somewhat...

Apr 23, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #41,223 of 65,633
Thanks for the suggestion!

I've seen some posts online saying different pads can change the sound somewhat? Can anyone comment on how the g pads might change things?

Fair enough, maybe I'm just a "treblehead" :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: - after listening to the Grados I find the bass on the Buds to be somewhat overwhelming, it's definitely harder to pick out individual instruments and details.

I also find the bass on the Grados to be tighter (not sure if I'm using the right terminology there...) - drums and basslines seem much cleaner whereas with the Buds it sounds like the bass notes blend together somewhat...

I cant disagree with your comparison between the two headphones. They are about in-line with mine regarding a Grado vs a typical iem in their respective price ranges ime. I am biased towards open headphones though. I only use closed or iem when necessary.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #41,224 of 65,633
I cant disagree with your comparison between the two headphones. They are about in-line with mine regarding a Grado vs a typical iem in their respective price ranges ime. I am biased towards open headphones though. I only use closed or iem when necessary.
Nice to know that I might not be making it all up! :)

Not sure if I'm going to be able to go back to using the Buds after listening to the Grados. I am already quite tempted by the GW100s for travelling...

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #41,226 of 65,633
Apr 25, 2020 at 9:51 PM Post #41,227 of 65,633
Hello

Can I get some help in taming the sound of my Grado PS1000E. I have a love hate relationship with them . Love the clarity and speed but more often than not the brightness gets to me. I dont listen at high levels so i dont think its a volume issue.My other headphones are Sony Z1r and Sonorous Viii. both sound slow and tame next to the PS1000e.

Anyone can suggest EQ settings that can help? I am using Roon Via Lumin T2 server.

Thanks in advance

Apr 25, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #41,228 of 65,633
Hello

Can I get some help in taming the sound of my Grado PS1000E. I have a love hate relationship with them . Love the clarity and speed but more often than not the brightness gets to me. I dont listen at high levels so i dont think its a volume issue.My other headphones are Sony Z1r and Sonorous Viii. both sound slow and tame next to the PS1000e.

Anyone can suggest EQ settings that can help? I am using Roon Via Lumin T2 server.

Thanks in advance

What kind of amp do you use. Many amps will accentuate the brightness. I found the SR325e's too bright, but my GH2's are perfect. But it depends on the amp. I love them with my tube amp, but hate them on my SMSL SP200.

In the past I have used my Schiit Loki to chop some treble and add some bass.

Apr 25, 2020 at 11:36 PM Post #41,231 of 65,633
Hello

Thanks in advance
I don't have the PS1000E, but I have quite good results with the iFi iCan Pro for PS2000E, GS2000E and GS3000E. All three headphones are balanced, and I am using the hybrid mode with my Grado. I found the tubes which help to moderate them a bit, making a less fatiguing experience.

The Violectric V281 is also quite good for Grado headphones.

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #41,233 of 65,633
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back