Grado Fan Club!
Apr 19, 2020 at 9:16 PM Post #41,206 of 65,604
I see them now. Not sure if I just overlooked them earlier :p

Hope you're enjoying them! I'm already wondering if I should be considering a pair of earbuds for on the go or not lol

I can't do ear buds. They always fall out.

Liking the Sundara's. It was a great sale to jump on. Great sound, great price.

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:50 AM Post #41,209 of 65,604
Good luck with this! :)

Haha I've already been thinking what to do with my Corona Cash & my upcoming birthday cash.. Additional amp, Loki tone control, earbuds, build a shelf for all my schiit.. ?

Apr 20, 2020 at 8:33 AM Post #41,211 of 65,604
Today we look at the Grado GW100 headphone and it's a new recommended Wireless buy!

https://www.headfonia.com/grado-gw100-review/

Thanks, Headfonia, for providing a link to the very nice and informative review of the Grado GW100. However, towards the end of the 'Brief History' of Grado Labs section of the article, it is incorrectly stated that "John Grado, passed away." I believe that the author of the article meant to say that Joseph Grado (the founder of Grado Labs, and the uncle to John Grado) had passed away instead. John Grado, the current President & CEO of the company, is still very much alive and thriving!

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #41,213 of 65,604
In the process of doing a deep cleaning of my basement, I recently dug out my old headphone sound systems which had been sitting dormant for over a decade (Headroom Cosmic amp, Grado HPA-2 amp with PSU, Sony Discman D-335, Grado SR60, Etymotics ER4). I purchased the SR60's new back in 1994 when they first came out. I decided to give them a freshening/upgrade and put them to work with my desktop system (TEAC AI-503, Gallo Micro SE and Sumiko subwoofer). Swapped out the plastic vent screens for Stainless woven wire, went to a single sided 3.5mm jack with removable cable, vented two holes in each driver for a little more base, and of course some new cushions. I had fun with the upgrades and will likely build myself another set with higher end components later.

Attachments

• IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1231.JPG
    IMG_1231.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Apr 20, 2020 at 1:28 PM Post #41,214 of 65,604
In the process of doing a deep cleaning of my basement, I recently dug out my old headphone sound systems which had been sitting dormant for over a decade (Headroom Cosmic amp, Grado HPA-2 amp with PSU, Sony Discman D-335, Grado SR60, Etymotics ER4). I purchased the SR60's new back in 1994 when they first came out. I decided to give them a freshening/upgrade and put them to work with my desktop system (TEAC AI-503, Gallo Micro SE and Sumiko subwoofer). Swapped out the plastic vent screens for Stainless woven wire, went to a single sided 3.5mm jack with removable cable, vented two holes in each driver for a little more base, and of course some new cushions. I had fun with the upgrades and will likely build myself another set with higher end components later.
very nice! a great system to begin with :D and that lettering on the left cup still miraculously look like new

Apr 21, 2020 at 10:58 AM Post #41,215 of 65,604
Hi guys!

I very recently took my first steps into the world of good audio. Last week my cheap gaming headphones broke and I took the opportunity to finally get some headphones which actually sound good (for context the best headphones I've owned up until now have been the Galaxy Buds). After a lot of deliberation (including lurking in this thread quite a bit) I finally settled on getting the Grado SR 80e's.

They are amazing - I can't quite believe how much I have been missing with music up until now, there's so much more detail. Ever since first putting them on I've just wanted to talk about how good they sound!

Anyways, there's not really much point to this post other than an excuse to talk about these headphones some more! That said, as a complete hifi audio noob is there anything I should be looking at to improve the experience further? Is an amp likely to give me any benefit with the SR80e's?

Apr 21, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #41,216 of 65,604
Hi guys!

I very recently took my first steps into the world of good audio. Last week my cheap gaming headphones broke and I took the opportunity to finally get some headphones which actually sound good (for context the best headphones I've owned up until now have been the Galaxy Buds). After a lot of deliberation (including lurking in this thread quite a bit) I finally settled on getting the Grado SR 80e's

The Samsung Galaxy buds look to be good headphones as well.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/samsung/galaxy-buds-plus-truly-wireless

Maybe its your first time hearing OPEN headphones, and Grado are especially open so a vastly different experience from an iem.

The Grado SR80e is not necessarily better, but definitely different and possibly preferential depending on tastes and needs.

A new amp is not needed. TTVJ deluxe flat pads would be a worthwhile upgrade for this headphone imo. Or If youre willing to do heavier mods then there are further options.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #41,217 of 65,604
I still wanna get an SR60/80 just to see how they compare. I don't expect to be blown away compared to the GH2 or Audeze, but everyone says they are one of THE best headphones for under $100

Apr 21, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #41,218 of 65,604
I’ve had SR60’s before and loved them for Rock. That was a while ago! I just bought some SR225e’s! I read a few reviews but what do you guys think?

Apr 22, 2020 at 2:47 AM Post #41,219 of 65,604
The Samsung Galaxy buds look to be good headphones as well.
https://www.rtings.com/headphones/reviews/samsung/galaxy-buds-plus-truly-wireless

Maybe its your first time hearing OPEN headphones, and Grado are especially open so a vastly different experience from an iem.

The Grado SR80e is not necessarily better, but definitely different and possibly preferential depending on tastes and needs.

A new amp is not needed. TTVJ deluxe flat pads would be a worthwhile upgrade for this headphone imo. Or If youre willing to do heavier mods then there are further options.
Fair enough.

A few of the more audio focused reviews I saw on the Buds were quite critical of the sound.

I can certainly pick out far more detail when using the SR80e's.

New pads was something as I was going to ask about actually as I saw quite a lot of people saying they make a big difference. I don't mind the stock pads but I definitely start to feel my ears get a bit warm after some listening. Are any of the over ear pads any good?

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 5:32 AM Post #41,220 of 65,604
Fair enough.

A few of the more audio focused reviews I saw on the Buds were quite critical of the sound.

I can certainly pick out far more detail when using the SR80e's.

New pads was something as I was going to ask about actually as I saw quite a lot of people saying they make a big difference. I don't mind the stock pads but I definitely start to feel my ears get a bit warm after some listening. Are any of the over ear pads any good?
try some knock off g-pad, plenty of options on ebay and amazon. also quite cheap. my advice is to pick the cheapest so you could get the idea, if you ready to spend more money on earpads then you're gonna have some fun:D

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back