Grado Fan Club!
Mar 19, 2020 at 7:17 AM Post #41,011 of 65,656
You could buy some shaft collars to lock in your desired height on the rods. I forgot the size you will need. I believe @joseph69 might be able to help you out with that info.
Btw, you can also just email Grado labs and they'll send you a new pair if you're in the U.S. -You might want to mention that you have an older pair of Rs1 with the square rods.
Thank you for your reply , i sent an inquiry to grado and hopefully will receive an answer soon . I am not living in the US but i am willing to pay for those specific shaft collar ( didn't know people call it this way ) . It would be so helpful if i can receive recommendations from other grado comrades as this is the first time something like this happened to me .

Also , those headphones cups are also detachable from the metal rod .... is it a designed feature or just my unit having a build issue? Does anyone here know?

Mar 19, 2020 at 11:15 AM Post #41,012 of 65,656
Can someone please help me with this GIGANTIC issue?
I can't see how the caps would just "fall off" because they are glued on pretty good. As a matter of fact when I place my shaft collars on I need to replace my caps (most of the time) because they usually get ruined while trying to get them off. Anyway, you can buy both, the caps (antenna tips) & 1/8" chrome shaft collars from your local hobby store or online. I also install a 1/8" O-ring first to protect the plastic rod blocks from getting scored by the shaft collars.

IMG_0495.jpeg

s-l225-2.jpg

images.jpeg

images.jpeg

Mar 19, 2020 at 12:41 PM Post #41,013 of 65,656
I can't see how the caps would just "fall off" because they are glued on pretty good. As a matter of fact when I place my shaft collars on I need to replace my caps (most of the time) because they usually get ruined while trying to get them off. Anyway, you can buy both, the caps (antenna tips) & 1/8" chrome shaft collars from your local hobby store or online. I also install a 1/8" O-ring first to protect the plastic rod blocks from getting scored by the shaft collars.

Thank you for the reply Joseph! I actually did not know that they should have been glued to the metal rod because they kinda slipped out so easily , maybe the glue worn out...idk

What you installed was fantastic and it enhanced the stability of these headphones overall . May i also ask you a question about RS1I headphones cup too? There's a socket on those headphone cups that's connected to the metal rod , are they removable? Because for the first time since i own the headphones i saw the cup slipped out from the metal rod , i attached it again and now everything seems fine but i don't know if it is a feature or it is happened because my unit is jiggered .

I don't live in the US and i guess there are barely any local hobby shops around me so if ultimately i need to buy those online (and maybe from the US) is there a website for me to look for?

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #41,014 of 65,656
Thank you for the reply Joseph! I actually did not know that they should have been glued to the metal rod because they kinda slipped out so easily , maybe the glue worn out...idk

What you installed was fantastic and it enhanced the stability of these headphones overall . May i also ask you a question about RS1I headphones cup too? There's a socket on those headphone cups that's connected to the metal rod , are they removable? Because for the first time since i own the headphones i saw the cup slipped out from the metal rod , i attached it again and now everything seems fine but i don't know if it is a feature or it is happened because my unit is jiggered .

I don't live in the US and i guess there are barely any local hobby shops around me so if ultimately i need to buy those online (and maybe from the US) is there a website for me to look for?

I have never seen that before. Is the rod just glued into yoke? If so, I would use Super Glue or some form of loctite.

Mar 19, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #41,015 of 65,656
I had the GS3000e on hand ... I found that signature to be rather uninvolving and without much bass weight to speak of. I will say that the fit was a little loose, but even when I held the cups more tightly against my head the sound did not change appreciably. I am just not cut out for anything neutral. While I like detail and speed, I also like some impact and weight and as such I gravitate to signatures that balance those attributes. I did not listen very long with the GS3000e and perhaps had I given it more time I might have enjoyed it more, but without trying to sound harsh or overly critical, I wasn't hearing what I needed to hear

Sorry to hear about that. I permanently run my GS3000e with a EQ that has a +3.5dB 50hz bass boost, as well as a sub-bass analog boost on my Pro iCAN. This is enough for me to love it. As stated in my GS2000e vs GS3000e comparison review, I think Grados actually benefit from higher output impedance, as the bass output on a more accurate amp can be too tight and lean for many people. My Pro iCan's output impedance on XLR4 is under 2 ohm so I need EQ to be satisfied. I've never run any Grado without EQ myself.

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 3:32 PM Post #41,016 of 65,656

You're welcome.
No, the rod isn't supposed to come apart from the gimble, it should be glued in.
A dab of crazy glue will be fine like someone else had mentioned. As far as the 1/8" O-rings, shaft collars & tips are concerned, I get mine directly from a local hobby shop so just search online for the closest hobby shop to your location and order everything. Everything should cost you +/-$5.00 excluding shipping & tax, if any. Make sure the shaft collars come with the Allen key for the set screw.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:10 PM Post #41,017 of 65,656
Hi,

I have a vintage Grado RS1 which I am thinking of selling on ebay or here at headfi. I have never gotten enough use out of it but since it was a special purchase for me back when I was trying out full sized headphones, I have never passed them on. I am thinking now is the time to let someone actually enjoy them...maybe...ugh.

Is there still a market for these older RS1s? Most of the ones on ebay are RS1i or RS1e. Mine is a lightly used RS1, serial number 1119 which is just written in pen on the box and one of the cups. I am the second owner having bought this from a fellow headfier back in 2005. He told me he only had them a few months and since I have had them, they have been stored in their box inside my closet and hardly used. I probably put less than 100 hours on them over the many years I have owned them.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• P3170088.JPG
    P3170088.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • P3170099.JPG
    P3170099.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • P3170100.JPG
    P3170100.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • P3170102.JPG
    P3170102.JPG
    502.9 KB · Views: 0
  • P3170096.JPG
    P3170096.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #41,018 of 65,656
Hi,

I have a vintage Grado RS1 which I am thinking of selling on ebay or here at headfi. I have never gotten enough use out of it but since it was a special purchase for me back when I was trying out full sized headphones, I have never passed them on. I am thinking now is the time to let someone actually enjoy them...maybe...ugh.

Is there still a market for these older RS1s? Most of the ones on ebay are RS1i or RS1e. Mine is a lightly used RS1, serial number 1119 which is just written in pen on the box and one of the cups. I am the second owner having bought this from a fellow headfier back in 2005. He told me he only had them a few months and since I have had them, they have been stored in their box inside my closet and hardly used. I probably put less than 100 hours on them over the many years I have owned them.

Here are some pictures.

There is still a strong market for the older Grado. Depending on vintage they are more desirable than their contemporary versions due to preferable sound characteristics.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #41,019 of 65,656
Hi,

Here are some pictures.

But can you wipe your butt with them? j/k

(Sorry, just debating if I'd get in trouble for buying them)

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:12 PM Post #41,021 of 65,656
So, what has everyone's quarantunes been lately? I've been getting back a bit into some metal. I've probably listened to this album 50 times since it was released, but if you want to hear some masterfully produced (and composed) progressive / melodic / death metal, Ne Obliviscaris has you covered (complete with violins!!):

This isn't exactly metal, but I consider the artist "Djazz" (Fusion jazz with some Djenty metal added in some other songs). He composes and plays all instruments except drums. This song has an AMAZING funky bass line groove, smooth guitar tone, and kickass drumming!:

These all pair exceptionally well with the added punch and extension of the GH2s

Oh and another song from Owane above (if that groove from 1:30 to 1:55 doesn't soak into your bones, I don't know what will!)

This has happened on my vintage Rs1. I've use a bit of clear epoxy to fix this.
The square rods on the older Rs1 are much less likely to slide up and down freely like the newer round rods but from my experience (at least on my pair) the rods have detached from the gimbal. I did a very clean job making sure not to make it messy, but it only lasted maybe a year before it happened again.

Mar 19, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #41,022 of 65,656
I have a vintage Grado RS1 which I am thinking of selling on ebay or here at headfi.

What's with all that glue around the driver? Did the RS1 previously break, and whoever repaired it added too much glue? I have never seen a Grado with that sloppy of a glue job, and it'd make any buyer have second thoughts.

Mar 20, 2020 at 12:36 AM Post #41,024 of 65,656

Grado released some limited special editions made (supposedly) out of old whisky / liquor barrels, some made with the shape of a Harley piston, etc. as a collaboration with these brands. I've seen the Grado Oreo editions pop up on eBay a bit, but that's all I've seen.

Mar 20, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #41,025 of 65,656
Grado released some limited special editions made (supposedly) out of old whisky / liquor barrels, some made with the shape of a Harley piston, etc. as a collaboration with these brands. I've seen the Grado Oreo editions pop up on eBay a bit, but that's all I've seen.
Oh yeah, right! I totally forgot about those.
Thanks for the reminder and clarification.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back