Grado Fan Club!
Mar 18, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #40,997 of 65,637
The PS2000e has a different tuning than any GS series I've owned.
EDIT: Different than any Grado I've ever owned.
Okay, but to be upfront, I had the GS3000e on hand to sell and before doing so I listened to it and it was not at all tuned towards anything weighty. I found that signature to be rather uninvolving and without much bass weight to speak of. I will say that the fit was a little loose, but even when I held the cups more tightly against my head the sound did not change appreciably. I am just not cut out for anything neutral. While I like detail and speed, I also like some impact and weight and as such I gravitate to signatures that balance those attributes. I did not listen very long with the GS3000e and perhaps had I given it more time I might have enjoyed it more, but without trying to sound harsh or overly critical, I wasn't hearing what I needed to hear in order to make me want to spend the time. I will keep trying Grado designs in hopes that I find that elusive balance. I guess what you said earlier that it isn't the Grado sound that I am after may actually be something I need to accept.

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #40,998 of 65,637
You are the smarter man! I went nuts last year loading up on cheap stuff, both used and new. My new amp is AMAZING and a few "hybrid" amps will soon be leaving. The Elex's have blown me away. Several pairs of headphones will be leaving soon.

It was fun to try other stuff, but it was ultimately very expensive and frustrating. Many months were spent saying to myself " I can't spend $1K on a pair of headphones or on a tube amp." And then I piss away much more than that over a year buying used/sale models of lesser quality.

My list of disappointments are:
1) HD600. Very underwhelming. Everybody says they come alive with a tube amp. We'll see next week.
2) HD58X's. A GREAT value! Won't be the top of anybody's list but very good headphone at a very good price. When all is said and done these will probably be leaving.
3) Shure 1540's. Didn't care for them at all.
4) HiFiman HE4XX's. I hated these.
5) Fidelio X2HR's. Decent sound for the price, but nothing special.
6) Loxjie P20. Junk.
7) Schiit Vali 2. Very nice amp, but not in any way tubey to me (3 different tubes).
8) XDuoo TA-20. Nice amp. Love the balanced option, good power, but nothing special.
9) SMSL SP200 THX 888. Powerful amp and very clean sound. Flat and neutral, but I knew that going in. I will probably keep it because it is such an opposite to everything else.
10) MassDrop LCX. I like the sound, but only balanced. Not great, but pretty good.
11) Beyerdynamic T5p.2's. Very nice headphone with some hot treble and underwhelming bass. The Loki can make it work (add a chunk of bass, a dash of midrange and cut some treble). Will be moving on.

There were some homeruns, but that is a lot of disappointing and underwhelming purchases.

And that was WAY more than the cost of my Elex's and a tube amp ($2K in Canada).

Better to go slow and get what you really want.
Wow (again), I am impressed. Thanks - now I know for sure that I have to listen to your experience and advice.....:beerchug:

Mar 18, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #40,999 of 65,637
Wow (again), I am impressed. Thanks - now I know for sure that I have to listen to your experience and advice.....:beerchug:

My hindsight is always incredibly accurate!:ksc75smile:

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #41,001 of 65,637
@Sonic Defender
It is clear that I'm recommending the PS2000e not any GS series, correct?
I'm asking because you keep mentioning the GS series.
I think I was getting confused. My bad. So the PS2000e is a tuning that you feel gets closer to what I am asking about. Okay, gotcha this time. Yes, it appears that I have heard mainly GS series models and perhaps none of the PS series. Thank you for setting me straight. Cheers.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 5:38 PM Post #41,002 of 65,637
I think I was getting confused. My bad. So the PS2000e is a tuning that you feel gets closer to what I am asking about. Okay, gotcha this time. Yes, it appears that I have heard the many GS series models and perhaps none of the PS series. Thank you for setting me straight. Cheers.
Specifically the PS2000e.
:beerchug:

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2020 at 6:58 PM Post #41,003 of 65,637
You do mean "The GH1's maple stablemate has a richer, more linear midrange and overall warmer signature than The White Headphone." Correct? Also, it's hard to tell, but are you using G cushions on the GH1? I'm asking because I exclusively use G cushions on the GH1 and find them amazing.
No, I mean that the GH1 is The White Headphone's maple stablemate.

Mar 18, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #41,005 of 65,637
My mistake.
I misread your post.
Are you using the GH! w/G cushions?
No worries mate. I'm using them with the smaller Beautiful Audio leather/merino pads for the most part. But prefer them with G-Cush over L-Cush.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:07 AM Post #41,007 of 65,637
Really disappointed with my RS2e, I love the sound but the right side metal rod fell out of the gimbal. These phones are either in a pelican case or on my head.....they were babied and have low hours. They do look fragile , but seriously? A $500 headphone and the rod is just splined and pressed into the plastic gimbal? Really cheaply made considering their cost. I think this is the last Grado product I will buy. What a let down.

Mar 19, 2020 at 4:33 AM Post #41,008 of 65,637
Can someone please help me with this GIGANTIC issue? i dont know what to do
I own a rs1i and for whatever reasons those little black caps that are usually attached on top of the metal parts of the headphones are missing now ....

I cannot adjust the head freely anymore because i am so afraid the headband will fall off and damage the headphones

Attachments

• grado rs1i.jpg
    grado rs1i.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 0
  • vcl.jpg
    vcl.jpg
    458.4 KB · Views: 0
Mar 19, 2020 at 4:58 AM Post #41,009 of 65,637
Really disappointed with my RS2e, I love the sound but the right side metal rod fell out of the gimbal. These phones are either in a pelican case or on my head.....they were babied and have low hours. They do look fragile , but seriously? A $500 headphone and the rod is just splined and pressed into the plastic gimbal? Really cheaply made considering their cost. I think this is the last Grado product I will buy. What a let down.
While I totally understand your frustration, if you just want to get back to business you can put a very small drop of super glue on the bottom tip of the rod and then reinsert it back on the block. It shouldn't happen again after this.
Option B is to email Grado Labs and they'll make it right by sending you another one on their dime of course.

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:04 AM Post #41,010 of 65,637
Can someone please help me with this GIGANTIC issue? i dont know what to do
I own a rs1i and for whatever reasons those little black caps that are usually attached on top of the metal parts of the headphones are missing now ....

I cannot adjust the head freely anymore because i am so afraid the headband will fall off and damage the headphones
You could buy some shaft collars to lock in your desired height on the rods. I forgot the size you will need. I believe @joseph69 might be able to help you out with that info.
Btw, you can also just email Grado labs and they'll send you a new pair if you're in the U.S. -You might want to mention that you have an older pair of Rs1 with the square rods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back