Grado Fan Club!
Jan 29, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #37,396 of 65,642
sure but grado still sound great even without amplifier, i'm not sure ortho could do that, even the supposed to be portable ortho, hifiman edition x is not that efficient

That's not really an argument for its quality, I hope you realize.

Jan 29, 2018 at 11:00 AM Post #37,397 of 65,642
That's not really an argument for its quality, I hope you realize.
yes. but it's still part of the consideration. same thing for open back and closed back headphone, both serve for different purpose. headphone and iem/ciem. even headphone and speaker. if we want to solely talking about sound quality then we won't have this many options. each technology have their own advantages and disadvantages

that's why i replied sure.. but
in the same price bracket, most of the time planar drivers will surpassed any technical aspect from dynamic drivers. but to get those kind of performance, to optimize those drivers performance, they do need amplifier and people rarely mention it. if they only test dap/smartphone plug the headphone, high efficient dynamic drivers headphone vs planar headphone . i highly doubt planar will outperform high efficient dynamic drivers in term of sound quality. even low efficient high dynamic headphone will sound like crap compare to high efficient dynamic headphone straight from dap/smartphone. and what happen if people actually do that thing and tell their impression this planar sound like crap. most of the time the replied they would get.oo yeah you need amplifier to drive those bla bla bla. even after they drive those planar with amplifier and the sound impression still not that great.what happen? oo yeah you need more power to drive those thing....

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #37,398 of 65,642
Well I did it... emailed Bob Levi my info.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #37,401 of 65,642
@Nickelodeon
thanks for your detail information about those grado! it's turned out not too shabby, at least if the estimate price is correct, around one grand if i'm not mistaken, that would be very interesting headphone. i couldn't open those facebook page though. the page isn't available

yes i read that one about john grado received founder award,i wasn't realize it was from LA&OC Audio Society. it's make sense now with the special edition grado

that's very interesting people in that group haha, john grado wouldn't want to messed up with this special edition :D

btw Bob Levi, that name seems familiar, i wasn't be able to figure out where i i was encountered that name and then i remembered maybe from positive feedback but the name was Robert H. Levi, maybe i'm mistaken with someone else

when you have a chance, please share the photo of that beauty, i'm looking forward for it. thank you

Thanks, ruhenheiM, for your replay and thoughtful observations.

And that's my feeling as well: John Grado knew that he would be creating a set of headphones for a very discerning group of listeners, and wanted to be sure that he got everything right. After all, it took him over a year to find the right wood, and to create the type of sound that he was after. I actually had the pleasure of speaking with John Grado over the telephone recently, and he said that designing a pair of headphones is a little bit like being a mater chief; i.e., you have to get all the right ingredients in place, and in exactly the right proportion.

BTW, as you may already have figured out, Bob is a 'nickname' for Robert; in much the same way that Bill is a nickname for William, Tony is a nickname for Anthony, and so on.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:38 PM Post #37,402 of 65,642
Thanks also... I too could not open the link to the anniversary headphones. Certainly interested, though... thanks for posting! Does the fact that the speaker in the picture near #50, as well as Bob Levi in Picture #102 (or so) both wear Grado PS2000e headphones make Grado the Official Headphone of the Los Angeles & Orange County Audio Society??

Hi ruthieandjohn,

You're most welcome!! I thought that if anybody should know about these headphones, it is you. Your knowledge, and expert understanding, of everything Grado is second to none. And I'm sure that I'm not speaking only for myself! Your detailed analysis and description of Grado headphone comparisons is something that all of us in this group treasure!!

As to the question as to which Grado headphone is the official Grado headphone of the LA&OC Audio Society, that would unquestionably have to be the 25th Anniversary Grado headphones! Although I know for a fact that a number of society members own the PS2000e.

Jan 29, 2018 at 5:43 PM Post #37,403 of 65,642
Not too sure? The post says;

"It should be pointed out that these LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Grado headphones are available to not just society members, but to the general public as well."

I also don't see them on the Grado site, nor did I receive an e-mail about their release.

Hi joseph69,

If you are a member of the LA&OC Audio Society, you might want to check through your email spam folder. I almost missed the notice myself!

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:02 PM Post #37,405 of 65,642
ah i think this is the page, i only could find this one
https://www.facebook.com/laocas/posts/1760391400672456

holy crap! 31 january is the deadline
price: $995
how to order:
Email at boblevi.laocas@gmail.com with your name, email address, full shipping address, credit card name/number/card security number, expiration date, and your order request for the item or items you want. Yes, you may order more than one of either item right now. Only credit cards accepted for payment. Send me card info in two emails for added security if you wish.I will turn in the list for the Custom Headphones to Grado and the list for the Custom Headphone Ext. Cable to the Kubala-Sosna Dealer on January 31

act fast bitches! :D

Btw from the description it seems like it is GS2000e with different appearance and just using single wood which is oak but priced at GS1000e
ah i think this is the page, i only could find this one
https://www.facebook.com/laocas/posts/1760391400672456

holy crap! 31 january is the deadline
price: $995
how to order:
Email at boblevi.laocas@gmail.com with your name, email address, full shipping address, credit card name/number/card security number, expiration date, and your order request for the item or items you want. Yes, you may order more than one of either item right now. Only credit cards accepted for payment. Send me card info in two emails for added security if you wish.I will turn in the list for the Custom Headphones to Grado and the list for the Custom Headphone Ext. Cable to the Kubala-Sosna Dealer on January 31

act fast bitches! :D

Btw from the description it seems like it is GS2000e with different appearance and just using single wood which is oak but priced at GS1000e

Thanks, ruhenheiM, for the corrected link!! I've updated my original post to reflect this!

I think that you are quite right; these LA&OC anniversary headphones feature a combo sound that is a consequence of their being a cross between a GS1000 (in terms of the enclosure, but using striped oak instead mahgony), but utilizing GS2000 drivers instead. Bob Levi also mentioned that the use of 'striped oak' caused the sound to become a little too dynamic, so John Grado modified the wiring (to the GS2000 drivers) to match the one found on the PS2000e, in an attempt to tame this quality.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #37,406 of 65,642
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #37,407 of 65,642
Well I did it... emailed Bob Levi my info.

Hi Astral Abyss,

I think that you made the correct decision. Although Bob Levi *hinted* at the possibility of there being an extension of this LA&OC Audio Society offer (basically a second production run of these headphones), I don't think that you could have gone terribly wrong by ordering them now. At the very least, you shouldn't have much of a problem with resale, if their sound signature turns out to not be quite your cup of tea.

By the way, did you order the balanced configuration? That's the one I'm going with.

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #37,408 of 65,642
Hi Astral Abyss,

I think that you made the correct decision. Although Bob Levi *hinted* at the possibility of there being an extension of this LA&OC Audio Society offer (basically a second production run of these headphones), I don't think that you could have gone terribly wrong by ordering them now. At the very least, you shouldn't have much of a problem with resale, if their sound signature turns out to not be quite your cup of tea.

By the way, did you order the balanced configuration? That's the one I'm going with.

@Nickelodeon , I did go with the balanced version. I like to go with balanced if possible with all my headphones, since I like the connection better, and it's easy enough to covert to SE/unbalanced.
I'm wondering if I should expect a response or confirmation from Bob Levi...

Jan 29, 2018 at 6:28 PM Post #37,409 of 65,642
@Nickelodeon , I did go with the balanced version. I like to go with balanced if possible with all my headphones, since I like the connection better, and it's easy enough to covert to SE/unbalanced.
I'm wondering if I should expect a response or confirmation from Bob Levi...

I got a response from Bob Levi, but that was only because I asked a question with the email that also placed my order. If he doesn't respond with some kind of confirmation, you might want to check with him again, just to be sure that everything in your order is okay .

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 7:26 PM Post #37,410 of 65,642
By the way, is it just me, or does the Grado x Uncrate GS2000e look like it might be using the same striped oak as the LA&OC Audio Society 25th Anniversary Grado headphones? Link:

https://uncrate.com/article/grado-x-uncrate-gs2000e-headphones/

The grain pattern in the wood looks to be almost identical, albeit stained black instead of being left in a national state.

(As an aside, it looks like the Uncrate Grado's are back in stock as well!)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back