Grado Fan Club!
Apr 14, 2017 at 10:23 AM Post #35,281 of 65,632
Regarding the wood / alu hybrid models  ,  does the inner wood fit all the way into alu shell ??  .   I ask this because i have both a wood & alu grado model headphone and there is things i love about both materials.      Is any alu exposed inside the shell for the sound to resonate off ,  or is it all wood inside ??.    If not how does the alu effect the overall sound if it is external only ? .
I really love the idea off having wood & alu inside the shell to create the best of both worlds.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:30 AM Post #35,283 of 65,632

Good morning Grado heads, I haven't listened to this in some time. Sounds good to me!

yep....listening to mine also 
smile.gif

Listening to this

With these

And this

Sounds wonderful to me....only Grado's I will ever need 
L3000.gif

@whirlwind good to see you around my friend! Indeed, Rs1 for me is Grado. and if I had to choose only one Grado, I would choose my Rs1

Same here, when I hear the word Grado, an RS1 image automatically appears in my mind.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #35,284 of 65,632
There's some info on Grado's website.
Here's a bit of it: "By using tone-wood clad with metal alloy we’ve obliterated two of the most vexing issues in headphone design: ringing in the chamber, and transient distortion. This gives audio professionals the security of consistent response throughout the frequency range. "

And some more mumbo jumbo:
"This combination of wood and metal insures that the earphone chamber has no 'ringing' which might obscure detail or add coloration. The way the wood and metal housing moves air and reacts to sound vibrations is virtually unaffected by transient distortions."

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:19 PM Post #35,285 of 65,632
@whirlwind good to see you around my friend! Indeed, Rs1 for me is Grado. and if I had to choose only one Grado, I would choose my Rs1

I agree, they have the looks and the sound.

I remember the time when the RS1 were Grado's flagship, and came in a very nice wooden box.
L3000.gif

As far as I recall the wood goes sll the way to the grill so only wood is inside.
I'm not an expert by any means. But in the ps1000 I imagine the heavy aluminum cups contribute by minimizing resonances making a cleaner sound

*ringing

That's my understanding of it too, the alloy acts as a damper.

Apr 14, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #35,286 of 65,632
  Regarding the wood / alu hybrid models  ,  does the inner wood fit all the way into alu shell ??  .   I ask this because i have both a wood & alu grado model headphone and there is things i love about both materials.      Is any alu exposed inside the shell for the sound to resonate off ,  or is it all wood inside ??.    If not how does the alu effect the overall sound if it is external only ? .
I really love the idea off having wood & alu inside the shell to create the best of both worlds.

my understanding to this is you want the chasis to be dead quiet. not making sound at all and not making any coloration to the sound from the drivers. and based what i read when i was gather information for stax, aluminium/metal for chasis add no coloration to overall sound. but how does it apply for grado. not really sure how it's work in technical/engineering wise. but the headphone sounds great

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:13 PM Post #35,287 of 65,632
Got my d&g Grado (gs1000i) and there's no seals or anything so I opened it and gave it a few minutes listen.

Don't like the sound at all haha Joseph warned me as we have similar taste in sound signatures. I got it more as a collector's item but still a little disappointing. I'll think of what I wanna do going forward.

Apr 14, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #35,288 of 65,632
Got my d&g Grado (gs1000i) and there's no seals or anything so I opened it and gave it a few minutes listen.

Don't like the sound at all haha Joseph warned me as we have similar taste in sound signatures. I got it more as a collector's item but still a little disappointing. I'll think of what I wanna do going forward.

lol. imagine if you get that at $1800

i firmly believe the sr325(especially the gold one) and gs1000 are two grado headphone that really belong in love it or hate it category inside grado already love it or hate it type of headphone in headphone world

Apr 14, 2017 at 3:43 PM Post #35,289 of 65,632
Good morning Grado heads, I haven't listened to this in some time. Sounds good to me!

Many Thanks. Bought the ra-1 recently for my rs2i. Think it is very good, but was concerned when reading that ra-1 generally is considered to suck:nerd:

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #35,290 of 65,632
I'm quite lucky because my first Grado ever was a GH1. Now i'm listening with sony wm1a. It is sounding stunning. If you have laying around 1000 bucks go for wm1a!

Apr 14, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #35,291 of 65,632
lol. imagine if you get that at $1800

i firmly believe the sr325(especially the gold one) and gs1000 are two grado headphone that really belong in love it or hate it category inside grado already love it or hate it type of headphone in headphone world

Yea I'm very glad I got it for much less as I would certainly regret it. I'm going to make sure these are perfectly clean and box them up and put them away for a few years then sell maybe. It makes for a cool collector's item but definitely not my taste in sound signature.

I'm quite lucky because my first Grado ever was a GH1. Now i'm listening with sony wm1a. It is sounding stunning. If you have laying around 1000 bucks go for wm1a!

These new Sony signature daps are so amazing. They drive all Grados and even my HD800S very well and the sound is perfect with zero distortion or hiss even with my sensitive IEMs. Much better than my old ak380.. plus the battery life is around 12 hours of hi res playback.

Apr 14, 2017 at 9:59 PM Post #35,293 of 65,632
Many Thanks. Bought the ra-1 recently for my rs2i. Think it is very good, but was concerned when reading that ra-1 generally is considered to suck:nerd:

It really doesn't matter what you read, if it sounds good to you then that's all that matters.

I agree that the RA1 sounds very good with several Grado models.

Enjoy...

It really sucks that Grado gets so much schiit around these forums (and other forums). Recently I've stumbled across many a recommendation thread for noobs and usually by the first or second response it's some Dumbo talking about stay away from Grados they're no good. Usually it's just regurgitated crap that they themselves have seen or heard from someone that doesn't like Grados like Tyll for example. Just to be clear I have no trouble with someone not liking Grados, it's only the morons who give schiity advice based on something they heard from somewhere without actually having experience themselves with all things Grado.

I don't know about you guys but it took me awhile to stumble across a Grado (Rs2) that actually change my views on the sound signature that I now love. I tried just about everything else at the time that was supposed to be the bees knees and yet I was not satisfied with what I heard.

Apr 14, 2017 at 10:29 PM Post #35,294 of 65,632
It really sucks that Grado gets so much schiit around these forums (and other forums). Recently I've stumbled across many a recommendation thread for noobs and usually by the first or second response it's some Dumbo talking about stay away from Grados they're no good. Usually it's just regurgitated crap that they themselves have seen or heard from someone that doesn't like Grados like Tyll for example. Just to be clear I have no trouble with someone not liking Grados, it's only the morons who give schiity advice based on something they heard from somewhere without actually having experience themselves with all things Grado.

I don't know about you guys but it took me awhile to stumble across a Grado (Rs2) that actually change my views on the sound signature that I now love. I tried just about everything else at the time that was supposed to be the bees knees and yet I was not satisfied with what I heard.

yea.most of those people also have a very bad taste on their music collection

for me it's easy.once i met with grado sr60. i fell in love.and yea sure after a long journey with it.i look around for other things.but like i said. every time there's something missing.and then i met grado ps1000e

Apr 15, 2017 at 6:40 AM Post #35,295 of 65,632

It really doesn't matter what you read, if it sounds good to you then that's all that matters.

I agree that the RA1 sounds very good with several Grado models.

Enjoy...

I hear you loud and clear.

I fell in love with the Grado sound early, not because it is a neutral sound, because it was a fun as hell sound and I very much enjoyed it, and it sounded fantastic to my ears with classic rock and blues music.
Once you have fallen in love with the Grado sound, it is like the mafia....once your are in, you are in....and you can't "get out" if you wanted too  
floatsmile.png

I gave my neighbor my Grado SR60i to use on his vacation, and he feel in love with it and he does not want to put a whole lot of money in a system, but he said that it made him enjoy his music again, and that is what it is all about.

I don't often recommend stuff, because I know that people hear differently, have different gear, listen to different music with different sources......so I take most reviews and such with a grain of salt..but for $60 dollars and not needing an amp to power them, if someone wants a can for rock or blues...it is hard not to recommend the SR60.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back