Grado Fan Club!
Apr 6, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #35,146 of 65,615
  I first tried the 325e, sent them back after 3 weeks since they were a bit too bright for me and got the 225e.  Loved them and started to do some mods on them and liked them even more so got the RS2e and love them as is except for the weight of the cable.  Tried a friends PS500e and PS500, didn't care for PS500 but PS500e was nice but still behind the RS2e and also some Ypsilon and Nhoord builds that I have.  My recommendation is go with the GH2 since it is a limited edition while the RS2e will be available for a while so if you feel that the GH-2 is too similar to the PS500e you can always sell it and get the RS2e

​Thanks man, that makes perfect sense to me. Now my mind is set and I'm just five days away from getting my GH2 XD

Also I had similar experiences with my 325e. The first few weeks I had them, the highs are piercing my ears, and after a painful session of listening to "Sketches of Spain", I gave up and ordered a pair of 225e. Fall in love the moment I had them. Same transparency, but more intimate mid-range, and less fatiguing highs. However I didn't sell my 325e and after some burn-in the highs tamed a bit and the sound became really good.

But I still like the 225e a lot and have been using them for late-night low volume listening. I think I'll label them "the elegant Grado".

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:33 AM Post #35,147 of 65,615

I had an early version of the RS2e for a while and was dying to try the PS500e, eventually picked them up. In my system, I preferred the 500e and feel they only continue to improve, have had them around 2 years. There wasn't a huge difference between the two (noting the 2e had a lot more time in them, 500e was fairly new), felt the 2e had a slightly lighter sound, perhaps a touch faster, wonderful for female vocals. The 500e have a very nice, balanced natural sound and I very much like their presentation for the large variety of music I listen to. They have a weightier bottom end which I feel helps only to support the music in the way it should. Best of luck with your decision.

I guess that's exactly what I like about PS500e, they sound great with pretty much everything you throw at them. Before getting them I was a bit afraid that they would have some Beat-like booming bass, but I'm glad I was wrong - it's still the same Grado bass we love, but with more substance that gives the music a more solid feel.

So I see you're paring them with Concero HP. Would love to try it but I guess it would be very hard for me to find one here. Right now I just pair my PS500e with Mojo, but I feel the highs are overly recessed a bit, and was wondering whether a more neutral-sounding DAC would suit them better.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:55 AM Post #35,148 of 65,615

I don't own either, but I could make a suggestion. I have read that the GH-1 and GH-2 are similar but maybe a bit more bass on the 2. Therefor give the GH-1 thread a read. http://www.head-fi.org/t/775282/grado-gh-1-discussion

However I also heard that the GH-1 and the PS500 or the PS500e are very similar.

I think the last thing to consider is that many folk love their GH-1 with the big G-cushions. Might be worth trying your PS500e with those cushions.

​Thanks man. Never thought of changing the cushions but I think it's worth a try.

I never had a chance to try the GH-1, but I've heard some people saying they're like a combination of Ps500e and RS1e, and just happen to have the best of both worlds. If that's true and if GH-2 sound anything like that.. I guess it's just too good to be true.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:57 AM Post #35,149 of 65,615
  i think because it's d&g edition. it's fashion after all.the thicker cable probably didn't pass their aesthetic standard. or it's just classic grado. they just use leftover cable or whatever hanging around there

on first impression, do they have similar sound with gh1? which grado do their sound have resemblance with?

I consider them a fashion statement as well.
And you're probably right about using a 4 conductor cable to.

On first impression the GH2 sound like the GH1 as far as being well balanced/smooth. It's much too soon for any impressions, and I need to listen to my GH1 /L cushions for a while as well.

I agree with your suggestion that Grado's are for listening at low to medium volume, I'm 

In my opinion Grado's are voiced for low to medium volume levels - playing at loud levels 

Never found this to be my experience.
I think it has more to do with your upstream equipment. IMO/IME Grados sound incredible at moderate to higher volumes. 
smile.gif

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #35,150 of 65,615

​Thanks man. Never thought of changing the cushions but I think it's worth a try.

I never had a chance to try the GH-1, but I've heard some people saying they're like a combination of Ps500e and RS1e, and just happen to have the best of both worlds. If that's true and if GH-2 sound anything like that.. I guess it's just too good to be true.

According to Grado they fall between the RS2/PS500.

Apr 6, 2017 at 2:41 PM Post #35,151 of 65,615

Never found this to be my experience.
I think it has more to do with your upstream equipment. IMO/IME Grados sound incredible at moderate to higher volumes. 
smile.gif

For me if I try to go with higher listening levels (above 85dB avg) all Grado's get sibilant and painful for me and upstream gear makes no difference, I tried a PS1Ke, GS1k2 and RS2e with a friends Pagoda & Master 7 / Liquid Glass & EC Balancing Act and even with these warm/neutral DAC/amp combos I could listen to any of the Grado's at higher levels.  With other headphones which are a little bright like HD800, HD700 and T1 I can push the levels up more than I can with any Grado.  It all comes down to the individual, you're lucky that you can listen to Grado's at higher levels.

Apr 6, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #35,152 of 65,615
Hi guys! My first post here XD

Having had my PS500e for about 3 weeks. I loved my SR325e and wasn't expecting much difference, but the details and clarity of PS500e blow me away and I just can't stop listening to them. I still prefer SR325e for some vocals (the xx, Willie Nelson, etc.), but for everything else PS500e sounds better to me.

Here is the question. GH2s start selling here (in China) next Monday, and I don't expect them to be around for very long. I've been craving for my first wooden Grado for a long time, so it's a decision between GH2 and RS2e. Both are selling for ridiculously high price here ($770 and $640 respectively) so I definitely couldn't have them all.

I really love the look of GH2s, but I've heard people saying that they're a lot like PS500e. Meanwhile, RS2e are very highly regarded here in China and many believe they offer the best value from the e-series. Right now my heart is set on GH2, but I just want to make sure that whether the differences from PS500e justify the price, and what would I miss if it means I probably could never own a pair of RS2e. :triportsad:

So what do you guys think? Are GH2s just the improved version of PS500e, or are they good enough to make you forget about RS2e? Any impression would be very helpful to me. Thank you!

As a fan/owner of the PS500e and a past owner of the GH1 I would take the GH2 over the rs2e any day. The rs2e will sound thin compared to the PS500e.

Apr 6, 2017 at 8:05 PM Post #35,153 of 65,615
I guess that's exactly what I like about PS500e, they sound great with pretty much everything you throw at them. Before getting them I was a bit afraid that they would have some Beat-like booming bass, but I'm glad I was wrong - it's still the same Grado bass we love, but with more substance that gives the music a more solid feel.

So I see you're paring them with Concero HP. Would love to try it but I guess it would be very hard for me to find one here. Right now I just pair my PS500e with Mojo, but I feel the highs are overly recessed a bit, and was wondering whether a more neutral-sounding DAC would suit them better.

Honesty that is just how the PS500e sounds. I have a mojo and that is my choice with the PS500e. I also have a wyred 4 sounds DAC2 ($1500) I used with a burson soloist and while more neutral it just makes the PS500e sound more stringent and does not really fix the balance IMO. The mojo is s good match for grados and maybe all you need.

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:39 PM Post #35,154 of 65,615

Honesty that is just how the PS500e sounds. I have a mojo and that is my choice with the PS500e. I also have a wyred 4 sounds DAC2 ($1500) I used with a burson soloist and while more neutral it just makes the PS500e sound more stringent and does not really fix the balance IMO. The mojo is s good match for grados and maybe all you need.
I agree about the mojo. I had both Mojo and Hugo and was never satisfied with the Hugo on it's own driving Grados (different story with an amp in the middle). The mojo has better synergy with Grados imo

Apr 6, 2017 at 10:55 PM Post #35,155 of 65,615
  For me if I try to go with higher listening levels (above 85dB avg) all Grado's get sibilant and painful for me and upstream gear makes no difference, I tried a PS1Ke, GS1k2 and RS2e with a friends Pagoda & Master 7 / Liquid Glass & EC Balancing Act and even with these warm/neutral DAC/amp combos I could listen to any of the Grado's at higher levels.  With other headphones which are a little bright like HD800, HD700 and T1 I can push the levels up more than I can with any Grado.  It all comes down to the individual, you're lucky that you can listen to Grado's at higher levels.

Not that I listen to my Grados at higher levels all of the time, but I don't have an issue if I want to for a song or two. 

As a fan/owner of the PS500e and a past owner of the GH1 I would take the GH2 over the rs2e any day. The rs2e will sound thin compared to the PS500e.

This made my head spin, even after reading it a few times. 
confused_face_2.gif

smile.gif

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #35,156 of 65,615
I've had the GH2 for a few weeks now, and I still waffle between being scared and amazed by them.

I'm scared because this is the first Grado I've ever heard with serious bass. And it also has this weird property where the weight of the bass almost sounds "separate" from the rest of the music. It's hard to describe.

I'm amazed because this same sound signature allows me to finally hear bass-heavy songs with a definite low end, while bringing the rest of the Grado sound signature (set to "Reference Series smooth") along. And the unique way the low end is presented gives you the opportunity to plainly hear the detail of the hands striking the congas, or the fingers plucking the upright bass strings, while the "feel" of those deep notes are played much closer and more intimate, front and center. It can be lean or even enveloping, but it always has this weight to it that I've certainly never experienced from a Grado before.

The way the bass is presented I feel will easily be the deciding factor for many people. For me, who usually is more on the analytical side, it certainly sounds strange, but I'm having way too much fun and fascination listening to all of my music again because of that same critique.

I'll put the G-cushions on at some point, I'm sure there will be a dramatic sound signature shift. Maybe a time shift too.

Apr 7, 2017 at 2:26 AM Post #35,157 of 65,615
I've had the GH2 for a few weeks now, and I still waffle between being scared and amazed by them.

I'm scared because this is the first Grado I've ever heard with serious bass. And it also has this weird property where the weight of the bass almost sounds "separate" from the rest of the music. It's hard to describe.

I'm amazed because this same sound signature allows me to finally hear bass-heavy songs with a definite low end, while bringing the rest of the Grado sound signature (set to "Reference Series smooth") along. And the unique way the low end is presented gives you the opportunity to plainly hear the detail of the hands striking the congas, or the fingers plucking the upright bass strings, while the "feel" of those deep notes are played much closer and more intimate, front and center. It can be lean or even enveloping, but it always has this weight to it that I've certainly never experienced from a Grado before.

The way the bass is presented I feel will easily be the deciding factor for many people. For me, who usually is more on the analytical side, it certainly sounds strange, but I'm having way too much fun and fascination listening to all of my music again because of that same critique.

I'll put the G-cushions on at some point, I'm sure there will be a dramatic sound signature shift. Maybe a time shift too.

Ah that is excellent to hear and I'm glad your experiences have been good. I've heard so many good things about the GH1 and now the GH2. The GH2 sounds like a slight variation from Grados traditional sound signature in some ways but the same in others. I'm glad they're doing this heritage series.. they seem to be producing fabulously enjoyable headphones.

Apr 7, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #35,158 of 65,615
Is the gs1000i the same as regular gs1000? I can't find any marked with an i. I was able to negotiate down to $1200 USD for the dolce and Gabbana Grado. Stopped making in 2012, only 100 made. It's too tempting I think I'll pull the trigger and sell them or give them to a family member if I don't enjoy the sound or if they don't fit with my collection. I didn't enjoy the gs1000e at all really so here's hoping. I'm just a big fan of d&g and obviously Grado. Maybe it will be good. :yum:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back