Grado Fan Club!
Apr 3, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #35,086 of 65,633

I think I saw back there that joseph69 is buying the GH-2. I am definitely curious how the GH-1 and GH-2 compare. I thought though, that I saw they are similar sounding. It left me suspecting that they have the same drivers but a slightly different signature because of the wood.

same here. but i think gh-2 going to have more bass. i read some post in few pages back.that gh2 really have bass.and it also have 4 vented holes. not sure how many vented holes gh-1 has, i'm guessing 2 vented holes

Can someone who is very familiar with Grado please tell me the sonic differences between the 325e and the Alessandro music series two?  I actually had the 325's before and loved the sound particularly the top end.

the basic different of grado and allesandro in simple word is allesandro is a tame grado version. tamed high,little bit laid back mid. more balance sound than grado.if you had problem with the treble of grado but you still kinda like the sound. allesandro probably more suitable for you

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #35,087 of 65,633
   I think I saw back there that joseph69 is buying the GH-2. I am definitely curious how the GH-1 and GH-2 compare. I thought though, that I saw they are similar sounding. It left me suspecting that they have the same drivers but a slightly different signature because of the wood.

Yes, I did buy the GH2.
I'm just waiting for them to arrive and after sufficient burn-in I'll give my impressions of them and the differences between the GH1-2.

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:08 PM Post #35,088 of 65,633

same here. but i think gh-2 going to have more bass. i read some post in few pages back.that gh2 really have bass.and it also have 4 vented holes. not sure how many vented holes gh-1 has, i'm guessing 2 vented holes

I think that's what I figured.

It's encouraging in that, using the G-cushion might be even more of an option. I mean since the G-cush reduces bass a bit.

By the way I saw some folk saying the GH-2 was all sold out. However I goolged GH-2 tonight and the first three links I tried all had them in stock. 

I am not looking to buy. I am just Grado curious.

Having said that though, the GH-2 could be an option for me. I like the idea that it might be a bit bass heavy. It means I could use it either with L or G cushions. Basically I have been bitten by the SR225e, because of their brightness. I have always been slightly stand-offish with them, but still had zillions of fun with them.

Recently though I EQ-d them back to flat. Removing the peaks of treble energy that is show in graphs of their performance. At first I was lulled and in love with them like this. Anyway due to life I didn't use them for maybe two weeks. Then when I came back to them I found them just as astonishing. Meaning when keeping the EQ treble flat with the rest of the response. Then just for curiosity I tried the 225e without EQ, bearing in mind I had listened for two weeks. I found the treble and brightness overwhelming.

Oddly I remember finding them bright when I first got them. However I decided to live with them. Now with them EQ'd though, I hear rich mid tones that I heard before but were recessed. Recessed by the glare of treble, and I was sadly missing much. (I was reminded of what made me fall in love with the SR60: those amazing tones.) It's all left my mind is set that I don't want headphones with bright signatures any more. I guess that's why I am back-seat curious about the GH-2.

I even considered unsubscribing to the Grado Fan Club. (Since I can only really use my 225e where I can EQ, so they are limited.) However I am not anti-Grado or ever would be. I still hold a flame for the bassier headphones like the PS500. Basically as long as the treble peaks don't easily out-power the rest. I am OK. I am constantly on the lookout for quality flat response headphones now.

One day I will get there.

Apr 3, 2017 at 5:58 PM Post #35,089 of 65,633

I think that's what I figured.

It's encouraging in that, using the G-cushion might be even more of an option. I mean since the G-cush reduces bass a bit.

By the way I saw some folk saying the GH-2 was all sold out. However I goolged GH-2 tonight and the first three links I tried all had them in stock. 

I am not looking to buy. I am just Grado curious.

Having said that though, the GH-2 could be an option for me. I like the idea that it might be a bit bass heavy. It means I could use it either with L or G cushions. Basically I have been bitten by the SR225e, because of their brightness. I have always been slightly stand-offish with them, but still had zillions of fun with them.

Recently though I EQ-d them back to flat. Removing the peaks of treble energy that is show in graphs of their performance. At first I was lulled and in love with them like this. Anyway due to life I didn't use them for maybe two weeks. Then when I came back to them I found them just as astonishing. Meaning when keeping the EQ treble flat with the rest of the response. Then just for curiosity I tried the 225e without EQ, bearing in mind I had listened for two weeks. I found the treble and brightness overwhelming.

Oddly I remember finding them bright when I first got them. However I decided to live with them. Now with them EQ'd though, I hear rich mid tones that I heard before but were recessed. Recessed by the glare of treble, and I was sadly missing much. (I was reminded of what made me fall in love with the SR60: those amazing tones.) It's all left my mind is set that I don't want headphones with bright signatures any more. I guess that's why I am back-seat curious about the GH-2.

I even considered unsubscribing to the Grado Fan Club. (Since I can only really use my 225e where I can EQ, so they are limited.) However I am not anti-Grado or ever would be. I still hold a flame for the bassier headphones like the PS500. Basically as long as the treble peaks don't easily out-power the rest. I am OK. I am constantly on the lookout for quality flat response headphones now.

One day I will get there.

yea i just checked their website. the gh2 still on their listing to buy.maybe that's just the last stocks.not sure how many batch they have for gh2

i never eq my headphones. and i think i have very tolerance ears.especially to treble and i'm not even 40s yet!

same here.lately i've been look around for neutral headphone.i think i'm just curious of it. i even consider to buy something that has very different sound sig from my grado, but do i really want it? i don't know. i was keeping my options wide open i guess. and i still love my grado. sure it's not perfect but there's so many joy i had when i listen music with grado. and then with all news headphones,flagship especially price skyrocketting and with never ending updates. i think i made my decision if i want to move away from grado it has to be stax or speakers.but since the stax system also cost a fortune.i think i just buy a bookshelf speakers and call it a day

Apr 4, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #35,092 of 65,633
I have decided to sell my first generation Grado PS1000. They come with their original box, papers, the 15' extension cable, and the 1/4'' to 1/8*'' adapter.

I take care of my things, so I handle my PS1000 as if they're a newborn with a diaper full of dynamite!, They're in the same condition as they were the day I bought them. I've always laid them flat in order to protect the integrity of the rod blocks.

I am asking $800 USD, and I'm willing pay for shipping for Canada an U.S.

I'd like my PS1000 to go to one of you guys, so I'll wait a few days before posting them anywhere else.

Just PM me if you have any questions.

Apr 4, 2017 at 10:58 PM Post #35,093 of 65,633
  I have decided to sell my first generation Grado PS1000. They come with their original box, papers, the 15' extension cable, and the 1/4'' to 1/8*'' adapter.

I take care of my things, so I handle my PS1000 as if they're a newborn with a diaper full of dynamite!, They're in the same condition as they were the day I bought them. I've always laid them flat in order to protect the integrity of the rod blocks.

I am asking $800 UDS, and I'm willing pay for shipping for Canada an U.S.

I'd like my PS1000 to go to one of you guys, so I'll wait a few days before posting them anywhere else.

Just PM me if you have any questions.

LMAO!

I'm listening to my PS1K right now for the first time in a while, and I'm saying to myself, how much better can the PS2Ke be than this?

Don't do it! 

Apr 5, 2017 at 1:12 AM Post #35,094 of 65,633
I kinda got a little sad when I found out their wood, metals and drivers themselves aren't made in-house by Grado and most likely overseas in Asia. At least the final assembly is done here in America by them and obviously the design is by them.

For what it is worth, Grado has always been pretty open with interviewers during workshop tours about the metal, wood and drivers not being created in the old workshop from the fifties, and the assembly is shown to press people on the spot. No obvious deception going on.

More to the point at hand though, according to a CNET article by Steve Guttenberg as recent as 2014: "Grado drivers are made by a local supplier in New York and other parts are sourced in New Jersey and Connecticut." 

Some component parts used to make the drivers being sourced from Asia is still possible, but it should be noted that practically all items manufactured just about anywhere in the world that involve electronics have at least something sourced from somewhere else in them regardless of where they are made. 

That's been the reality of most electronics manufacturing for more than the past forty years or so though, long before Globalism was a buzzword. Watching tear down videos of retro electronics made in America confirms this pretty quickly. This hardly means such products were not made in the USA though, we just didn't talk as much about how the sausage was made back then as Made in America was less of a novelty.   

And in Grado's case, they evidently even have the parts and drivers worked in USA locations. It may not all be done in Brooklyn, but that's about as much "Made in USA" as any electronics product made in America during the past few generations or so, by any reasonable standard. 

So, while I agree with those that say Grado should try new things and perhaps improve overall build quality, I think it's perfectly OK for people to enjoy Grados as Made in the USA products, cause that's what they evidently are. Unless they outright lied to Steve, the drivers etc. are not assembled in China or Japan for their headphones. (Their IEMs are made in Japan, but they never claimed otherwise.) 

Before I'm accused of defensive fanboyism, I should note that I don't own any Grados myself, though they are an interesting story in themselves that I occasionally enjoy reading about. For my own American headphones, I went with Audeze, because they have actually good build quality and soft leather pads that don't hurt after ten minutes of use, unlike some foam I could mention.  :wink:

Apr 5, 2017 at 3:48 AM Post #35,096 of 65,633
A pair Grado Bushmills has gone on eBay here in the U.K., where they were never officially sold, for £750, which is $933. It's funny, whilst I couldn't afford to pay that much for a pair, I wouldn't part with mine for twice that, they have become far and away my favourite cans.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282420126077

Apr 5, 2017 at 4:49 AM Post #35,097 of 65,633

Before I'm accused of defensive fanboyism, I should note that I don't own any Grados myself, though they are an interesting story in themselves that I occasionally enjoy reading about. For my own American headphones, I went with Audeze, because they have actually good build quality and soft leather pads that don't hurt after ten minutes of use, unlike some foam I could mention.  :wink:

+1 on the hurting. My favourite Grados at the moment are my PS500, but after an hour of listening my ears are killing me...

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #35,098 of 65,633
Random question.. I'm in Italy on vacation and see the dolce and Gabbana Grado headphones. They look beautiful and the box they come in is very nice. Does anyone know if the drivers are different from the headphone they are based on (GS1000). Also is it possible to buy them in America or online or are they done selling/making them. Any answers are much appreciated.

Apr 5, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #35,099 of 65,633
Random question.. I'm in Italy on vacation and see the dolce and Gabbana Grado headphones. They look beautiful and the box they come in is very nice. Does anyone know if the drivers are different from the headphone they are based on (GS1000). Also is it possible to buy them in America or online or are they done selling/making them. Any answers are much appreciated.

I don't know if the drivers are the same, but I would very much think that they are.
They've been discontinued for a long time.

Apr 5, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #35,100 of 65,633

i think it's pretty much the same. probably a leftover drivers from the second generation. maybe just different tuning. and it has been discontinued

Users who are viewing this thread

Back