Grado Fan Club!
Feb 23, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #34,696 of 65,636
Grado finally uses a beautiful, interesting wood and everyone complains that it looks DIY. This is why we can't have nice things.

you're overreacting. it's just an opinion. if i wanted to complain about it then i'd be directing it to grado, and i have no intention of doing any such thing.

Feb 23, 2017 at 7:51 PM Post #34,697 of 65,636
you're overreacting. it's just an opinion. if i wanted to complain about it then i'd be directing it to grado, and i have no intention of doing any such thing.

I am. It was a joke.

Feb 23, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #34,699 of 65,636
I just ordered a pair.  
eek.gif

Feb 23, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #34,701 of 65,636
  which are the most neutral sounding grados?  or is this even a serious question -_-

I like the flat sound signature of DT880 / Triplefi 10

The HP1000 is the most neutral Grado.

Feb 23, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #34,702 of 65,636
If I wanted neutral I wouldn't come to Grado. I like them specifically because they are not neutral. Most of what I listen to is heavy on the guitars and guitar amps are decidedly not neutral. So it takes a headphone like Grado to really do the kind of music I like justice. As I think about it my favorite Grado's are the ones thought to be the least even, for example the GS1000e. I am just thankful that at least one manufacturer decided to go his own way and not follow the crowd, to give us the Grado "Signature" sound we have today.

Feb 24, 2017 at 12:11 AM Post #34,703 of 65,636
If I wanted neutral I wouldn't come to Grado. I like them specifically because they are not neutral. Most of what I listen to is heavy on the guitars and guitar amps are decidedly not neutral. So it takes a headphone like Grado to really do the kind of music I like justice. As I think about it my favorite Grado's are the ones thought to be the least even, for example the GS1000e. I am just thankful that at least one manufacturer decided to go his own way and not follow the crowd, to give us the Grado "Signature" sound we have today.

I agree! The RS1i were the most euphonic sounding headphones I have had the pleasure of owning. The vocals were just ridiculous in the best ways!! The GS2KE gives me the widest soundstage of any Grado in my opinion whereas my PS1K provides me with a speedy, lush bass presentation. So I believe that there is something for everyone from Grado.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #34,704 of 65,636
No question, the GH-2 are nice looking headphones.  If I were in the market, I would be all over them.

Not trying to rain on anyone's parade here...I love my Grados above all the other headphones I have owned...but I have to say that it is still hard for me to imaging that the the change in the wood species used to fabricate the cups will make a significant difference to the sound signature with all other things being equal.  Different species of woods have unique properties that will influence how they perform in acoustic instruments...where they are intended to vibrate...but with an entirely open back, and a cup that is designed to minimize vibration, I would be surprised if the differences between one wood species and another in the cups will have a significant impact on sound signature.  Again...this is with all other parts of the design being equal.

Still, I applaud Grado for trying new designs.  After all, they have a business to support and an audience/customer base that encourages and supports expansion of their product portfolio.  The extensive Grado modding community is proof of this.  From what I can see, no other headphone brand has this level of loyalty.  They would be nuts not to continue to diversify their product offerings.

I am really happy with my GH-1/G and RS2e, and will probably stay put.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #34,705 of 65,636
i agree and tend to think that the differences between the woods used is primarily cosmetic. the driver tuning might be different, however.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:49 AM Post #34,706 of 65,636
Some Grado modders tried a few different wood cups and there was a difference in sound between cups made of different woods.  While I haven't done any testing with Grado drivers I have done a little evaluation of different wood cups using Ypsilon and Nhoord drivers and there is a difference in sound between rosewood, mahogany, walnut, and tamarin.  Also need to take into account the shape of the cup, which is why the shape of the GH-2 might have been shaped as is.

Feb 25, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #34,707 of 65,636
maybe the differences in sound is attributable to the different woods used or to the modders' expectation that they should sound different

edit: on second thought, let's not go there :wink:

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:47 AM Post #34,709 of 65,636
  Some Grado modders tried a few different wood cups and there was a difference in sound between cups made of different woods.  While I haven't done any testing with Grado drivers I have done a little evaluation of different wood cups using Ypsilon and Nhoord drivers and there is a difference in sound between rosewood, mahogany, walnut, and tamarin.  Also need to take into account the shape of the cup, which is why the shape of the GH-2 might have been shaped as is.

I would agree that the shape of the cup and size of the flange on the cup has an impact, as evidenced by the design of the PS and GS cups.  I need to remind myself that "all things being equal" is an unreasonable condition...they never are, and there is no reason to think that Grado would keep "all things equal" when they introduce a new model, or a new variation.  More than any other manufacturer, I believe that the Grado crew are "passionate tinkerers."  It is probably naive for me to think so, but I sense that with Grado, the sound comes first, the business second.  I am glad to be part of their vision and passion, and part of this community. 

Feb 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM Post #34,710 of 65,636
Not to derail the GH2 conversation, but I could not help but share with you guys the newest addition to the family!:

How bout them apples!?

Beautiful...congratulations!  This is how headphones should look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back