Grado Fan Club!
Jan 23, 2017 at 12:34 AM Post #34,355 of 65,647
not sure if the drivers are the same but they do sound different from each others. and pretty much all model still share similar grado sound signature

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:40 AM Post #34,356 of 65,647
@joseph69
may i ask you something? from ps1000e which stax suit you most? 009 or 007?

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:47 AM Post #34,357 of 65,647

​I'm one that can't stand any flats, Grado, TTVJ or Earzonk, just to uncomfortable for me.  I also like the sound with G pads better than the flats and with the L pads it depends on the headphone.  Since my 225e is modded it might be a reason why the G pads sound better to me.  The other headphones like my RS2e sounds better with the G pads versus the stock L pads and the Ypsilon and Nhoord driver builds that I have built are tuned with dynamat, sorbothane and felt with G pads in use.

Please could you try and explain the RS-2e / G-Cush sound  ,  i'm interested in this .   Thanks
popcorn.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #34,358 of 65,647
Thanks for the queries on 44mm drivers. The Ps500e and RS2e is 2 times and more from the 325e. How different is the driver ? It is on the sound tuning ?

Your welcome.
I don't quite understand your question, sorry.

@joseph69
may i ask you something? from ps1000e which stax suit you most? 009 or 007?

Sure,
I prefer the 009. 

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:17 AM Post #34,360 of 65,647

Please could you try and explain the RS-2e / G-Cush sound  ,  i'm interested in this .   Thanks
popcorn.gif

The main reason I went to the G pads is for comfort first.  What the G pad changes on the RS2e is it will slightly recess the mids, bring up the bass a touch and not do much to the highs, to me it makes for a better balanced over all sound.  The sound stage / imaging will change from being on stage right in the middle of the band to moving back to the first or second row which to me is more realistic for the music that I listen to but since we all have different hearing and the shape of our ears are different it might not seem like this to you.  FWIW I been just buying 3-4 pairs of cheap G pads of Ebay and finding the ones that sound best to me and at $6/pair its not a costly item.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #34,361 of 65,647
Am shocked to only one pair of Grados in the What Hi-Fi Awards for headphones list. They only had the 325e there last year too.

This year:
Best Home on Ears under £100 -  AKG K92 £50. I mean that's beating the SR60 and SR80e. However I think it's because they have not reviewed the 60e and 80e.

When you look back at their review for the SR60i. They say they wait to see if one day something will knock the might SR60 off the top spot.
http://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr60i/review

Maybe this is why Grado have had a price change though; because competition has come along. As the SR60i was £100 when this review was made. Whereas today in the UK we can get 60e for about £70, and the 80e for about £90.

What Hi-Fi award for Best Headphone £100 to £200 is AKG 500 at £130. However this headphone won a plethora of awards at £250, and has since had price reduction for a long time.

The Grado 325e won best headphone £200 to £400. Which is odd when last year the Shure SRH1540 costing £400, won Best Home on Ears at £300+.

Anyway the top spot this year goes to Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, at £850, for best headphone over £400.

It leaves me wondering what they would think of the PS500e if they ever bothered getting round to reviewing it. Quite a few folk have said the PS500e is identical to a GH-1 with smoother mids, or clearer mids, or something. Given folk love the GH-1, that's high praise for the PS500e. .....I was actually a little worried about the PS500e because the PS500 only scored four stars with What Hi-Fi. The comment that concerned me that they said the PS500, "Could do with a touch refinement". Funny really because they quote the PS500 when they talk about using various headphones for reviewing amps etc.

Anyway I am just thinking out loud and not planning on buying any headphones right now.

Jan 23, 2017 at 10:47 AM Post #34,362 of 65,647
  does it has to be driven from BHSE? do the KGSSHV could do the work?

PM sent.

Am shocked to only one pair of Grados in the What Hi-Fi Awards for headphones list. They only had the 325e there last year too.

This year:
Best Home on Ears under £100 -  AKG K92 £50. I mean that's beating the SR60 and SR80e. However I think it's because they have not reviewed the 60e and 80e.

When you look back at their review for the SR60i. They say they wait to see if one day something will knock the might SR60 off the top spot.
http://www.whathifi.com/grado/sr60i/review

Maybe this is why Grado have had a price change though; because competition has come along. As the SR60i was £100 when this review was made. Whereas today in the UK we can get 60e for about £70, and the 80e for about £90.

What Hi-Fi award for Best Headphone £100 to £200 is AKG 500 at £130. However this headphone won a plethora of awards at £250, and has since had price reduction for a long time.

The Grado 325e won best headphone £200 to £400. Which is odd when last year the Shure SRH1540 costing £400, won Best Home on Ears at £300+.

Anyway the top spot this year goes to Beyerdynamic T1 2nd Gen, at £850, for best headphone over £400.

It leaves me wondering what they would think of the PS500e if they ever bothered getting round to reviewing it. Quite a few folk have said the PS500e is identical to a GH-1 with smoother mids, or clearer mids, or something. Given folk love the GH-1, that's high praise for the PS500e. .....I was actually a little worried about the PS500e because the PS500 only scored four stars with What Hi-Fi. The comment that concerned me that they said the PS500, "Could do with a touch refinement". Funny really because they quote the PS500 when they talk about using various headphones for reviewing amps etc.

Anyway I am just thinking out loud and not planning on buying any headphones right now.

I wouldn't pay any mind to whoever thinks whatever headphone is the "best". From my experience with the so called "best" headphones their all "different" and it comes down to personal preference. Every time I read a review of the latest/greatest headphone (every other month it seems) their "the worlds greatest headphones"…what a joke! 

Jan 23, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #34,363 of 65,647
  PM sent.

I wouldn't pay any mind to whoever thinks whatever headphone is the "best". From my experience with the so called "best" headphones their all "different" and it comes down to personal preference. Every time I read a review of the latest/greatest headphone (every other month it seems) their "the worlds greatest headphones"…what a joke! 

thanks joseph! really appreciate it

especially when its more pricey and new. it's always ended up as the world best.

and to be fair.what's hi fi, stuff, stereophile has been putting grado headphones in their award in every price bracket for a very long time. i just read them all in 2005. and for the next 6 years, its always been there. and from stereophile it has been ages. so i don't know. maybe they got bored, maybe the sound changed since its new generation and they don't like it.who knows 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #34,364 of 65,647
Need some advice -- I've got a pair of of SR325i that took me a while to find/buy but I do not have a low impedance amp at the moment. Am I risking it using my Lyr (not the version with the gain switch)? I'm listening to it right now and have the dial on a very low position -- am I still putting them at risk? I've been meaning to get a more suitable amp (or the Lyr 2) but am waiting to make some sales on my current gear first.

Jan 23, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #34,365 of 65,647
i dont have lyr. so this is not my first hand experience.but i do have friend of mine using grado sr325 with lyr. his seems to be all right. he using that for about a year but i don't know what happen since then. and yes there's been few problems with lyr in the past. some of my local audio forum friends blew out their headphone with lyr. i think it was ultrasone edition 8. so not sure.you need to ask people in lyr thread or schiit customer service 

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back