Grado Fan Club!
Aug 14, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #33,196 of 65,634
Hi im a newbie on this things but im verry eager to go into this hobby, i am looking forward on buying a head phone and a porta amp since im using a mobile phone. And my picks are grado sr80e with fiio a3 porta amp. Would the amp give more boost to the head phones and how many pecentage would it give? Or just stand alone with the grado sr80e? Any body here had this item? Thanks

I own the 80e and really love it. Try it without the amp I think you could save your money for something else as a phone or laptop power them just fine!

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:07 AM Post #33,198 of 65,634

@glockhit
 yes definitely, another stunning set of headphones.

A while ago I was all for modding my 225e, but I think I backed out. However tonight I had a shock with them. I was listening to BFBS Radio. (That British Forces Broadcasting Service Radio, and it's rocking quite a lot of the time.)

Anyway I had my Chord Mojo linked up to my desktop Q Acoustic BT3 and the sound was nice. I decided to put my headphones on an melt into the surroundings. This was the unpleasant surprise they sounded thin and no bass. I think it was because the signal was only 80kbps which is not unusual for DAB in the UK. We have not adopted DAB+ yet and there's really no bandwidth left.

I mean my 225e sound OK on CD source ripped to FLAC, so I have to deduce it's the source quality. However the source sounded rich and luscious through my speakers. (Literally my eyes started to water thinking about how good the music and its tone sounded, on my speakers.)

Maybe the 225e just don't so such weak source. I think the lowest bit rate I ever used before was 128kbps MP3, and they were fine. I think however at the conclusion is, I could use some headphones with a bit more body. Either that or put this behind me and check out some more tracks.

Anyway what I am waffling about is that some modding might be the key. (It's OK @DavidA
 I still have your Dynomat idea in mind. I think the only worry is how thick the Dynomat is and would it alter the size of the chamber. It's thin stuff though.)

Don't get me wrong I love my grado headphones but I also own a ZMF Omni. They are a bit pricey but it sounds like just the cup of tea you would like. I use them with my Mojo through a MacBook Pro and the combination is rich, spacious, extremely detailed sound with great non fatigued highs just perfectly crystal clear.

That is a beautiful custom Grado you posted ....very nice, what size driver was used ?

I am going to be ordering a ZMF Omni real soon, i have read through the whole Omni thread and have asked Zack many questions....I think these may be just what I am looking for to compliment the HD800 and RS1.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:19 AM Post #33,200 of 65,634
That is a beautiful custom Grado you posted ....very nice, what size driver was used ?

I am going to be ordering a ZMF Omni real soon, i have read through the whole Omni thread and have asked Zack many questions....I think these may be just what I am looking for to compliment the HD800 and RS1.
Thank you. Rather then go with a V7 driver I decided to use the driver from my 325e. With the spalted maple wood cups I knew the 325e was a perfect match in terms of sound. I am an acoustic guitar player and prefer the acoustic sound that the Omni is known for thanks to Zacks background in acoustic instruments and design. I will not be selling the Omni. I have a feeling based on what you were saying about your musical/sound taste you'll be very happy with the Omni. Good luck in your future purchase. It's nice to see these smaller companies like ZMF and Grado so successful. I know they have my support. Both outstanding world class headphones.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #33,201 of 65,634

Right now there are 4- ZMF Omni (Walnut) HP's left in stock for $100.00 off.
(HERE) is the link.

Yes, I saw that Joseph, I am still deciding what wood that I want.....Zach has some nice deals on B stock items at times also.
Those walnut cups are beautiful.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:25 AM Post #33,202 of 65,634

Thank you. Rather then go with a V7 driver I decided to use the driver from my 325e. With the spalted maple wood cups I knew the 325e was a perfect match in terms of sound. I am an acoustic guitar player and prefer the acoustic sound that the Omni is known for thanks to Zacks background in acoustic instruments and design. I will not be selling the Omni. I have a feeling based on what you were saying about your musical/sound taste you'll be very happy with the Omni. Good luck in your future purchase. It's nice to see these smaller companies like ZMF and Grado so successful. I know they have my support. Both outstanding world class headphones.

Yeah, Zach used to make guitars and will tune your headphones to your liking, and even offer one free tune if you do not like what you receive.

I sent Zach the music that i will be listening to with these cans , so he has everything he needs to suit my needs.

I asked many questions and without hearing these cans, just going by Zach's answers to my questions....these seem to tick the boxes that I am interested in.

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:55 AM Post #33,203 of 65,634
Hi im a newbie on this things but im verry eager to go into this hobby, i am looking forward on buying a head phone and a porta amp since im using a mobile phone. And my picks are grado sr80e with fiio a3 porta amp. Would the amp give more boost to the head phones and how many pecentage would it give? Or just stand alone with the grado sr80e? Any body here had this item? Thanks

Keep in mind, open headphones like Grados leak a lot of sound, and don't isolate at all, so they aren't always a good fit for portable. (Everyone will hear your music, and you will hear everything around you.)

Grados are also pretty easy to drive; for the same price you'd be better of buying sr225e without amp.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #33,204 of 65,634
Grados are also pretty easy to drive; for the same price you'd be better of buying sr225e without amp.

@vinch
I agree with @Win0ver.
Seems like the debate regarding whether "to amp" or "not to amp" is more seriously discussed for Grados than any other headphone, yet there are plenty of headphones with similar specs.  I am not a proponent of one or the other.  I listen directly from the headphone out of my Onkyo CD deck when at home, and with iPod 160Gb/JDS C5 amp combo at my desk.  Either way, the sound is exceptional.  I do not usually listen directly from my laptop.  With Grados, I would suggest buying the best model you can manage, budget wise ( in my opinion the headphones are the single most important link in the chain), and fussing about the amp question later.

Aug 14, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #33,205 of 65,634
I just pre-ordered this bluray & cd combo after watching this video

I can't wait to watch the bluray with both the RS1 and the Omni.

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:22 PM Post #33,206 of 65,634
I think you might be a lot better off with an SR80e for home only (not travel/commuting) or a Sennheiser Momentum earlier model over ear for both. Very good sound proofing and closed back. Will not disturb others.The Sennheiser is really cheap now at 1/3 the original cost or less if purchased used on the headphone/for sale forum here. Excellent quality sound with a phone. Really don't need an amp for your particular usage.

Aug 14, 2016 at 12:37 PM Post #33,207 of 65,634
  Hi GB, the dynamat is quite thin, 1.5mm thick and will be even thinner once you press it to stick to the cup.  This is the latest build that I did, SR-225i drivers in rosewood cups, SMC connectors, dynamat around the cups, sorbothane on the back of the drivers, cable is Canare star-quad sleeved with glow in the dark paracord, and a little extra padding on the headband.

It sounds better with G pads to me but my GF likes the L pads better, just a preference to sound signature.  It sounds great but the 225e driver is better and the ypsilon driver is even better still.  There is also a new driver being made by another company (Nhoord) so I might try them also.

You know I often wondered whether the real difference between the i-series and the e-series was just an new cable.

Thank you for the info again.

Aug 14, 2016 at 7:36 PM Post #33,208 of 65,634
Hello.  I have found that my  MS2i with the G original Grado cushion and paired with Asgar II sounds amazing!!!  It is a very open sound with detail and separation.  I´m enjoying it. 
L3000.gif

Aug 14, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #33,209 of 65,634

You know I often wondered whether the real difference between the i-series and the e-series was just an new cable.

Thank you for the info again.

between the 225i and 225e, the drivers are quite different sounding and I don't think the cables made much difference.  The 225e driver seems to respond to modding better than the 225i from my limited experimenting between them so far.  The 60i driver seems to have the largest changes with modding so far, I think that's why many started modding with them but the new drivers coming out like the ypsilon, magnum v7 and nhoord are better designed and from my working with the ypsilon, sound better than most of the Grado drivers used in RS/SR series that I've heard so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back