Grado Fan Club!
May 25, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #32,072 of 65,621
My SR225 phones have just arrived. As if by timing, so did the Head Box S USB... Haven't even tested them properly and they're already impressive. Wow.

That's exciting! I love first-listening experiences. :) If you like them already, it will likely get even better.

May 26, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #32,074 of 65,621
Well, I'm coming to the same conclusion that DavidA highlighted, that the cable on the 225 is short and heavy. Going to give it a little while longer, but it does look like I'm going to end up changing them out.

Any suggestions for what to replace them with please? I'm thinking Sen HD 480 cables, which I can get reasonably easily.

May 26, 2016 at 6:05 PM Post #32,075 of 65,621
  Well, I'm coming to the same conclusion that DavidA highlighted, that the cable on the 225 is short and heavy. Going to give it a little while longer, but it does look like I'm going to end up changing them out.

Any suggestions for what to replace them with please? I'm thinking Sen HD 480 cables, which I can get reasonably easily.

I would try to get a cheap decent cable from amazon or other discount place and just chop off the connectors.  These two are fairly light and decent quality, I had the HD-700 version of the one from ebay and it was pretty good.

http://www.amazon.com/Replacement-Audio-upgrade-Sennheiser-Headphones/dp/B00KBBUKCG/ref=sr_1_2?
ie=UTF8&qid=1464299436&sr=8-2&keywords=HD-700+cable

or

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-Audio-Cable-For-Sennheiser-HD414-HD420-HD430-HD600-HD580-Headphones-/321818366521?var=&hash=item4aedde9239:m:m9I2o-DR1JB_4bGXKcMe_7g

If you can build your own then use a star quad cable like Mogami or Canare and remove the outer plastic and sleeve it with paracord if you want it really light or leave the plastic on as I did, see below:

The splitter is carbon fiber and the cable is Mogami 2893 star quad, this is about half the weight of the stock cable.

May 26, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #32,076 of 65,621
I've been a Grado fan for years now, but have had the pleasure of auditioning the Sennheiser HD800 recently (albeit, in a noisy store). Much to my surprise, they sounded lively, bright, and transparent. Any other Grado fans out there who have thoughts on the HD800? 

Edit: I have a PS500, PS500e, RS2e, and GH1 mega review/comparison in the works!

May 26, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #32,077 of 65,621
  I've been a Grado fan for years now, but have had the pleasure of auditioning the Sennheiser HD800 recently (albeit, in a noisy store). Much to my surprise, they sounded lively, bright, and transparent. Any other Grado fans out there who have thoughts on the HD800? 

Edit: I have a PS500, PS500e, RS2e, and GH1 mega review/comparison in the works!

My Grado stable is only the SR-225e (modded), RS2e (modded) and a woody SR-60i, I also have a HD-800, SR-009 and a few others. 

The problem with the HD-800 for many is finding the right amp that pairs well with it while most Grados that I have tried (GS-1000e, PS-500e, RS1i, RS1e, SR-325e), mine included is that they are not as amp picky.  My current amp for the HD-800 is a BH Crack (w/ upgraded caps and tubes), while it sounds really good, I've also heard the HD-800 on a few other amps that make it sound better than what the BH Crack can do, granted most of these amps are in the $2000+ range and really are diminishing returns to me.

May 26, 2016 at 10:49 PM Post #32,078 of 65,621
  My Grado stable is only the SR-225e (modded), RS2e (modded) and a woody SR-60i, I also have a HD-800, SR-009 and a few others. 

The problem with the HD-800 for many is finding the right amp that pairs well with it while most Grados that I have tried (GS-1000e, PS-500e, RS1i, RS1e, SR-325e), mine included is that they are not as amp picky.  My current amp for the HD-800 is a BH Crack (w/ upgraded caps and tubes), while it sounds really good, I've also heard the HD-800 on a few other amps that make it sound better than what the BH Crack can do, granted most of these amps are in the $2000+ range and really are diminishing returns to me.

Thank you for the reply. Grados are certainly easy to drive! If I get the HD800, I will look into the BH Crack as I have heard only good things about it.

I listen to a lot of alternative rock, and I haven't seen a lot of people comment on the HD800's ability to perform with those types of genres. There's a local head-fi meet on Saturday and I'm hoping to get a better chance to listen to the Senns, but I was curious about your experience with the HD800's rock-ability. Is it a waste to have headphones like that to listen to rock with?

Cheers!

May 26, 2016 at 11:50 PM Post #32,080 of 65,621
  You may just have the perfect HP's for Rock already.

@Darksyde , I have to agree with the above, while the HD-800 will do rock quite well its strong points are classical and jazz to me.  FWIW I think the HD-700 does rock better than the HD-800 and is a little less amp picky.

May 27, 2016 at 5:30 AM Post #32,081 of 65,621

I am a Grado fan and a fan of the HD800.

I fell in love with it the first time that I heard it and have never looked back. It is far more amp picky than your Grado's ....but with the right gear it is wonderful, for many genre of music.

The bass gets better with better gear ...it can be deep , tight and very , very controlled.

Grab you a nice OTL amp and enjoy.   Grados and HD800 compliment each other pretty well IMO.

May 27, 2016 at 5:35 AM Post #32,082 of 65,621

years ago, i had a modded koss portapro, and was looking for something better, audited a number of headphones:
Grado sr325is, which i found overly bright (at the time)
HD800, which i found sounding too clinical (at the time)
RS2, which i found great, but slightly too treble-ish (at the time)
i bought the latter.

since then i upgraded all components, from audio file to amp, and everything in between.

quite recently i had another listen to the HD800(s) and found them to be fantastic sounding, and quite the opponent for my PS1000 and RS1.
they are a bit more analitical than my grados, but they're lovely sounding, as you said, lively, bright, and transparent.

May 27, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #32,083 of 65,621

I listen to a lot of alternative rock, and I haven't seen a lot of people comment on the HD800's ability to perform with those types of genres. There's a local head-fi meet on Saturday and I'm hoping to get a better chance to listen to the Senns, but I was curious about your experience with the HD800's rock-ability. Is it a waste to have headphones like that to listen to rock with?

Cheers!

I'm one of the few who will not recommend the 800 for rock-based music. It does have stunning clarity and separation, but it'll never give you that low end thump that others will. I like to not only hear, but feel kick drums, and the 800 is a feel-only kind of headphone. If you're wanting the best for that genre in that price range, I'd look up the GH1 or RS1i from Grado, or go the Beyerydynamic or Hifiman route. The T1 and the HE560 and/or HE6 are pretty keen on rock music to these ears! And much like the HD800, they are a little amp-picky too! :)

May 27, 2016 at 7:50 AM Post #32,084 of 65,621
From the PS1000 thread: 

"Thought I'd drop some thoughts on a new setup I've got for the PS1k.

Sold the Woo WA7tp (something about the low end was just 'off') and in its stead, picked up a Liquid Carbon. Right now the AK100ii is serving as the DAC until a pair of balanced interconnects can go between my Emotiva DC-1 and the LC. 

In any case, this amp is GREAT with the Grado. This is easily the most realistic soundstage/separation I've heard from a headphone. Things sound so clean and so rich and so real. The decay on cymbals is just unreal, as are the nuance-y things like fingers sliding on strings or ghosted bass drum hits. Loving this rig right now and I'm hoping for a slight improvement come balanced cables!

Oh, AND i've got a pair of Alpha Primes en route so the wife doesn't have to listen to all of my music with me :)"

I was hitting up @Oteil yesterday and I'm pretty sure I was annoying the snot out of him going on and on about how great the PS1k's sound. I'm telling you guys, they are incredible coming from this little amp. I'd been recommended using an SS amp for the PS1k and I'll admit I was skeptical at first, but this really is just a different level of performance than what I'm used to. Sonic. Bliss!

May 27, 2016 at 9:39 AM Post #32,085 of 65,621
I gotta agree with most people that HD800's (to my ears) sound better with jazz or classical.

For rock music you may get more enjoyment with something else. To me if I want incredible detail and transparency I go with HD800.. if I want to really enjoy my music I grab something fun!

Just my 2 cents!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back