Grado Fan Club!
Jan 21, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #30,241 of 65,605
  Maybe we should open up a Grado Owners Anonymous
o2smile.gif

This was brought up before. 
smile.gif

So I bought a set of GH1's as a 30th birthday present for my brother. They arrived not too long ago. Yesterday I showed to them to my mom so she could see and hear them before they're sent off to Germany where he lives. Tears ran down her face. She was completely blown away, she honestly couldn't believe how good they sound.

So what are you going to buy for yourself?

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:16 PM Post #30,242 of 65,605
Jan 21, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #30,244 of 65,605
  I'm new to the forum, although I've read elsewhere that a modded Sr60e is on par with the 325e. Pretty accurate? 

lol no.

Jan 21, 2016 at 3:53 PM Post #30,245 of 65,605
  I'm new to the forum, although I've read elsewhere that a modded Sr60e is on par with the 325e. Pretty accurate? 

Well you apparently are new to Grados as well. I am fairly new to the forum myself and I have an RS1i and a modded 225. The modded 225 sounds great but even with wood cups I am sure it won't sound as good as 325i/e. Don't get me wrong. Modding is cool and will most of the time improve your sound. My suggestion to you is to go to a hi-fi dealer that carry's Grado and try your modded 60e with the rest of the lineup. In the meantime MOD ON; its alot of fun.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #30,246 of 65,605

Well you apparently are new to Grados as well. I am fairly new to the forum myself and I have an RS1i and a modded 225. The modded 225 sounds great but even with wood cups I am sure it won't sound as good as 325i/e. Don't get me wrong. Modding is cool and will most of the time improve your sound. My suggestion to you is to go to a hi-fi dealer that carry's Grado and try your modded 60e with the rest of the lineup. In the meantime MOD ON; its alot of fun.

I agree that modding can be fun, and can sometimes improve the sound.  But in my experience most mods that aren't essentially rebuilding the headphone from scratch (ie magnum builds with new drivers and cables) sound worse.  

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:26 PM Post #30,248 of 65,605
  So I bought a set of GH1's as a 30th birthday present for my brother. They arrived not too long ago. Yesterday I showed to them to my mom so she could see and hear them before they're sent off to Germany where he lives. Tears ran down her face. She was completely blown away, she honestly couldn't believe how good they sound.

beerchug.gif
popcorn.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:33 PM Post #30,250 of 65,605
  Have you heard the PS500e?

I've heard the original PS500 and liked it, and I've read a lot of positive reviews of the PS500e. I've heard both the RS2e and RS1e and liked them, and I've heard a couple people say they liked the PS500e better than the RS1e. Seems like it might be the right call.

Edit: Oh and this is totally off topic but I thought that Grados would suck with electronic music but they're actually decent. I'm listening to some electronica right now on the GH1's hold up pretty well. They're definitely not ideal EDM cans but they're very quick & lively. I don't find myself thinking that I need to reach for a different set of cans. Happy surprise.

Another happy surprise is how good these are at low volume listening. With my HD650s I almost always crank them up, but with the Grados even at very low levels they are enjoyable.

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #30,252 of 65,605

I've heard the original PS500 and liked it, and I've read a lot of positive reviews of the PS500e. I've heard both the RS2e and RS1e and liked them, and I've heard a couple people say they liked the PS500e better than the RS1e. Seems like it might be the right call.

Edit: Oh and this is totally off topic but I thought that Grados would suck with electronic music but they're actually decent. I'm listening to some electronica right now on the GH1's hold up pretty well. They're definitely not ideal EDM cans but they're very quick & lively. I don't find myself thinking that I need to reach for a different set of cans. Happy surprise.

I've never heard the PS-500e for myself…and for that matter the PS-500/RS1e/RS2e either.
Keep us posted on your purchase.
beerchug.gif

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:42 PM Post #30,253 of 65,605
  Grados are absolutely perfect with electronic music. I can't think of any good music they would be less than perfect with.

I think a lot of people want the sub-bass that you'd get with something like Audeze's, or the bass impact you'd get with a closed can like a Fostex or Ultrasone. Those all use bigger drivers than the Grados also, like wearing loudspeakers on your head. So I didn't expect the Grados to excel in this area but they're pretty good. 

Jan 21, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #30,254 of 65,605

Another happy surprise is how good these are at low volume listening. With my HD650s I almost always crank them up, but with the Grados even at very low levels they are enjoyable.

I thought the RS2e and PS500e were basically neck and neck, with the RS2e sounding a bit smoother and more refined, but the PS500e having a bit more fun bass.  The RS1e I tried was the old flawed run where the driver protruded too far and was really piercing and harsh (sounded to me like a SR60e with bowl pads if you've ever tried that.

Jan 21, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #30,255 of 65,605
  I've never heard the PS-500e for myself…and for that matter the PS-500/RS1e/RS2e either.
Keep us posted on your purchase.
beerchug.gif

Oh by the way, I think it was you who said that once I heard the GH1 that I wouldn't be able to let them go. I think you said something like "just buy your brother something else now... when you hear them you won't let them go". I told my mom about that comment and she laughed a laugh of agreement. She said she was amazed that I was able to give them up.

It's crazy because I used to really not be all that impressed with Grados. My first impression was that the treble was too harsh, bass too light, and they seemed to not do well at high volume. But lately I've just fallen in love. It's weird to say with so many expensive cans out there but I think I could see a Grado phone being my 'endgame' at some point. I might be repeating myself but I listened to a pair of LCD3's on a $4500 amp, and I didn't like the sound as well as the RS1's coming direct from my macbook audio jack. I know that's weird and maybe my ears are dumb or something. I mean the LCD's sound lovely, they really do, but not as engaging. Even though the sound is probably more 'perfect' in some ways, it was less enjoyable for me.

And I'll be sure to come back when I make my next Grado purchase, which might be a couple months. I got bills to pay & can't be splurging for stuff like this all the time. But I've definitely got the urge to make a move sooner rather than later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back