Grado Fan Club!
Aug 2, 2015 at 3:57 AM Post #27,032 of 65,674
Up way past bedtime - but listening during the quiet, calm hours of the night can be really special ...  don't know if it's heightened hearing acuity or just less background noise or what, but now I have to tear myself away from the GH1s and get some sleep!  Mingus never sounded so good.

smile_phones.gif

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:11 AM Post #27,034 of 65,674
Sunday morning, fresh coffee and Getz/Gilberto :) this won't last long before the kids find me.

Quote:
Mine are 10 years apart and every once in a while my Wife hints about having another, not sure I still have the energy, my 14 year old is driving me nuts:confounded:. Though I think I may have made her a jazz lover on our long vacation drives!

Same boat here, 10yrs between two of ours and you certainly feel it, the older you are the harder it is.

Okay, finally got the Grado GH1s (after a 60 mile round-trip and a whopping customs bill). Now, I have no experience whatsoever of mid or upper tier headphones, nothing to compare these with except in-ears, and have no idea what HD800s or Beyers or Audeze sound like, BUT even with just one hour of listening, straight out of the box, in the middle of an already hectic afternoon - it's like going from a 32" CRT to my first 48" flatscreen (now THAT was a good day), like the first time I could get a decent (albeit second-hand) car after a series of old bangers, like the first time I heard The Cure's 'Forest' on a Naim pre/power amp combo, and I've said 'Wow' several times, and I've had goosebumps, and I feel a bit like crying. I genuinely can't imagine what percentage of 'extra' I'd get by paying £500 more or even £1000 more, but it must be tiny, tiny 'improvements'. Yes, maybe new toy syndrome has hit, maybe I'm just so shocked at finding out how much bass I've been missing for years, or how sweet the vocals on old track really can sound, but I'm totally happy and I just don't care about the money I just spent, the rubbish packaging Grado put these headphones in, the plastic gimbals, the slightly prickly pads - these are just so, so good. Happy, moi? Hell, yes...An audiophile? Almost certainly not, but I know what I like, and I love these!

I was so tempted to import a pair too, glad it worked out for you :)

Nothing beats that feeling when you get a significant improvement does it? I recently bought a Chord Hugo and it was a good deal better than expected it to be and made me forget about the price tag.

As far as fancy boxes goes, you only end up paying for it anyway.
I would sooner they just shipped them in a cheapo cardboard box like they use now so I can put it up in the attic never to be seen again unless I need it.

If you want a wooden grado box though, you can get them here: http://www.4ourears.net/4OurEars_exclusive_headphone_storage_box_p/4e-boxstnd.htm

Aug 2, 2015 at 6:41 AM Post #27,035 of 65,674
Good Sunday morning to all of you "Gradoheads"

Having a fresh cup of McCafe bold and dark french roast and watching  JB at Red Rocks on bluray.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:15 AM Post #27,036 of 65,674
^^^ whirlwind, excellent choice my friend. I'm thinking about making it a JB Sunday morning for myself.

Aug 2, 2015 at 7:49 AM Post #27,037 of 65,674
Good Sunday Morning Gents!!!

Rocking with a little older album, Klempner's live recording with the Concertgebouw of Mahler's 2nd "Resurection" (though it's not at Red Rocks, my favorite venue for the Greatful Dead).

Yes, bpcans our Better Halves can be sly, though Maryna just turned 39 and beginning to feel her limitations, I know I am!!!

RivalDealer, 10 years too (take note Joeseph), it's like raising two (Joeseph) only children:flushed:!

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #27,038 of 65,674
  Up way past bedtime - but listening during the quiet, calm hours of the night can be really special ...  don't know if it's heightened hearing acuity or just less background noise or what, but now I have to tear myself away from the GH1s and get some sleep!  Mingus never sounded so good.

smile_phones.gif

This was me last night, too. Fell asleep for a moment and woke up listening to Blues and Root and couldn't stop for another couple hours.

The GH1 is a sweet, sweet headphone.

Aug 2, 2015 at 9:13 AM Post #27,039 of 65,674
There are some subtle differences from the look of the past 20 years that really set them apart visually. Of course the different wood type, the less glossy, raw wood finish and the small reveal around the outer edge of the cup which really gives it a crisp outline compared to the typical chamfered edge. May not mean much to others but for me a nice upgrade aesthetically.

The GH-1 don't look exactly like the vintage models, but the general desing is pretty much the same, I think that you'll agree with me that compared to the GH-1, the Bushmills look a lot different from other Grados.

I recently bought a pair of brand new classic RS1. Not only are they flawless, but with that dark semi-gloss wood and their center button, they have nothing to envy to the GH-1.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #27,040 of 65,674
  Good Sunday morning to all of you "Gradoheads"

Having a fresh cup of McCafe bold and dark french roast and watching  JB at Red Rocks on bluray.

Good morning!! A cup of light roast, direct-trade coffee from Kenya in my cup this morning (in addition to being a Gradohead, I am also a coffee addict..) Cheers!
beerchug.gif

Rocking with a little older album, Klempner's live recording with the Concertgebouw of Mahler's 2nd "Resurection" (though it's not at Red Rocks, my favorite venue for the Greatful Dead).

Good morning good sir!! Excellent choice on the music. You know, every time I start to write Mahler off as a little too over-the-top, I go have a listen to one of his works and I just get lost in the music. Those old school purist Baroque lovers can hate all they want, Mahler composed some great works.

Aug 2, 2015 at 10:06 AM Post #27,041 of 65,674
  Same boat here, 10yrs between two of ours and you certainly feel it, the older you are the harder it is.

I was so tempted to import a pair too, glad it worked out for you :)

Nothing beats that feeling when you get a significant improvement does it? I recently bought a Chord Hugo and it was a good deal better than expected it to be and made me forget about the price tag.

As far as fancy boxes goes, you only end up paying for it anyway.
I would sooner they just shipped them in a cheapo cardboard box like they use now so I can put it up in the attic never to be seen again unless I need it.

If you want a wooden grado box though, you can get them here: http://www.4ourears.net/4OurEars_exclusive_headphone_storage_box_p/4e-boxstnd.htm

A box doesn't have to be made of wood, to look nice. My Sennheiser HD-600 came in a box made of ridgid cardboard, covered with some kind of black fabric.

As far as having to pay for the box, and putting it in the attic. My Grado Bushmills sold fo $395, to me, they sound like a $500-$600 pair of headphones, and they had a VERY nice presentation, so nice in fact, that mine are proudly displayed in their original box, in my den's bookcase...now, ask me where I keep my GH-1's box.
wink.gif

In my opinion, sound quality aside, the GH-1 is not living to the hype that Grado had created around them. To me, they are simply a pair of good sounding Grado headphones, period.

In my opinion, a special edition product should have a certain WOW! factor. The GH-1 looks like any other wooden Grados. I'm sure that if they would've came out last year, with ''RS2e'' stamped on their earcups, they wouldn't have raise a single eyebrow. 

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #27,044 of 65,674

Yes, bpcans our Better Halves can be sly, though Maryna just turned 39 and beginning to feel her limitations, I know I am!!!

RivalDealer, 10 years too (take note Joeseph), it's like raising two (Joeseph) only children:flushed:!
Wildcat, I love Mahler's 2nd, even though my lovely 39yr old partner doesn't know the difference between his 2nd and his 5th. I'm lucky because she's keeping this almost 60yr old on his toes.

Aug 2, 2015 at 5:33 PM Post #27,045 of 65,674

I'm concerned how much these may cost me...

To the Grado fan the wallet always cries foul.... :)
Congratutz to all new GH1 owners..

To me it sounds Grado did good on the rs1e with these gh1's sound wise. I patiently await kayandjohns wooly mammoth review between rs2i, rs2e, bushmills and gh1 with both a qualitative and quantitative analysis. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back