Grado Fan Club!
Aug 1, 2015 at 12:56 PM Post #27,016 of 65,667
So is mine the only GH1 that is not flush but slightly recessed below the cup. Shout I be concerned.
Does or will it affect the sound?

Aug 1, 2015 at 12:58 PM Post #27,017 of 65,667
  Well, after the thunderstorm ended, I fired my Yamaha RX-V 2220 back on, and I can officially say that the amp section is dead. non of my speakers work, and I mean, not even a faint background noise, I have no sound at all.
frown.gif

When I did my undergraduate degree, which was Dual Honours, half of it was electronics. One of my lecturers once said to me. First thing to do if something breaks down, is take the cover off and look for anything obvious. Also something to look for is, there is often a fuse on the motherboard - that's my own tip. (Then after that I suppose you could ask a shop to look at it.)

Aug 1, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #27,018 of 65,667
Honestly I think Grado finally listened and hence the "e" series and GH1 (minus RS1e).  Maybe it's John Grado's son, Jonathan. Maybe he read the forum threads and people's cry for more bass and mods (like punching holes in the back of the driver) being done to increase the bass, or tape modding and tube amps to tame the treble. Not to mention Rhydon and Custom Magnum drivers and his attempt to offer a more balanced Joseph Grado sound (which are now Turbulent X-Drivers). Last not least, most recently the Senn/Grado mods of those placing Sennheiser drivers in custom Grado cups. 

I finally feel like Grado got it right. The GH1 embodies the magic and "balance" that the Vintage (A) RS1 possessed. I hope Grado listens again and gets the RS1e right. Wouldn't it be great to have the GH1 driver or an "e series" driver that is even more refined in a deeper RS1 cup?

Aug 1, 2015 at 4:37 PM Post #27,021 of 65,667
Your very welcome sir. My pleasure. Now I've got two beautiful daughters, fifteen years apart in age. God I'm so stupid. Babies don't need hp's because they have the hearing of a wolfhound. Congrats on ordering the GH-1's.

Mine are 10 years apart and every once in a while my Wife hints about having another, not sure I still have the energy, my 14 year old is driving me nuts:confounded:. Though I think I may have made her a jazz lover on our long vacation drives!

Aug 1, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #27,022 of 65,667
  i agree, it does seem that there should have been special packaging, maybe they want you to buy their wooden box 

Take away that little piece of paper Inside the box, and the hype that Grado has created around the GH-1, and what do you have?, you have a pair of headphones that's not only packaged like any other Grado model, but also looks pretty much like a regular pair of RS2e.

Of course, sound quality is the most important thing, and the GH-1 do sound very good, but a nicer box, and/or, an extension cable, or even a carrying bag would've been nice. I'm not going to kiss John Grado on the mouth because he produced a good sounding, $700 pair of headphones.

To be fair though, I do think that the GH-1 sound like a $700+, pair of headphones.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:18 PM Post #27,023 of 65,667
  Grado GH1 Ranked by Sound (to my ears and preference) not looks

Stock Bowl Pads--Good

Bowl Pads with Fitted Leather--Better 

TTVJ Flat Pads--Best 

When to a craft store (Michaels) and cut the leather to strips and then sowed it myself with needle. 
I once took it to a shoe repair to have it done but I felt I could do it myself and it actually turned out better.  The leather I purchase matches the pebbled leather of the GH1.

Thanks Sling!

Those look great!  I'll have to get to a craft store this weekend and whip up a set of my own.  How did you size them to get a snug but not too-tight fit?  I'm sure I could figure it out, just wondering if you had any special technique or tips.

I've had a pair of TTVJ flats sitting here since last week - will have to try them out at last.

Aug 1, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #27,024 of 65,667
  Okay, finally got the Grado GH1s (after a 60 mile round-trip and a whopping customs bill). Now, I have no experience whatsoever of mid or upper tier headphones, nothing to compare these with except in-ears, and have no idea what HD800s or Beyers or Audeze sound like, BUT even with just one hour of listening, straight out of the box, in the middle of an already hectic afternoon - it's like going from a 32" CRT to my first 48" flatscreen (now THAT was a good day), like the first time I could get a decent (albeit second-hand) car after a series of old bangers, like the first time I heard The Cure's 'Forest' on a Naim pre/power amp combo, and I've said 'Wow' several times, and I've had goosebumps, and I feel a bit like crying. I genuinely can't imagine what percentage of 'extra' I'd get by paying £500 more or even £1000 more, but it must be tiny, tiny 'improvements'. Yes, maybe new toy syndrome has hit, maybe I'm just so shocked at finding out how much bass I've been missing for years, or how sweet the vocals on old track really can sound, but I'm totally happy and I just don't care about the money I just spent, the rubbish packaging Grado put these headphones in, the plastic gimbals, the slightly prickly pads - these are just so, so good. Happy, moi? Hell, yes...An audiophile? Almost certainly not, but I know what I like, and I love these!

Congrats on the new 'phones - glad you're enjoying the experience of having your sonic windows cleaned and treated with some of Grado's best anti-reflective coating!  Trust me, you're not missing anything vs. the HD800 and Audeze, etc.  They are various shades of 'different', but better ... no, I don't think so.

Your ear pads should soften and become comfortable as you wear them more.  I stretched the headband pretty much straight away - they come pretty tight from the factory, clamping (crushing?) your ears down flat - ow!

Aug 1, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #27,025 of 65,667
GH-1 is new? Is hard to find? Where are folks finding them?? I was serious a ways back when I wrote whats a GH-1??....LOL
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 1, 2015 at 8:28 PM Post #27,026 of 65,667
Take away that little piece of paper Inside the box, and the hype that Grado has created around the GH-1, and what do you have?, you have a pair of headphones that's not only packaged like any other Grado model, but also looks pretty much like a regular pair of RS2e.

Of course, sound quality is the most important thing, and the GH-1 do sound very good, but a nicer box, and/or, an extension cable, or even a carrying bag would've been nice. I'm not going to kiss John Grado on the mouth because he produced a good sounding, $700 pair of headphones.

To be fair though, I do think that the GH-1 sound like a $700+, pair of headphones.

Packaging aside, to be able to get a pair of headphones that sound and look this good feels like a steal to me. Much more fun to listen to than many $1000.00 plus phones.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:07 PM Post #27,027 of 65,667
  Honestly I think Grado finally listened and hence the "e" series and GH1 (minus RS1e).  Maybe it's John Grado's son, Jonathan. Maybe he read the forum threads and people's cry for more bass and mods (like punching holes in the back of the driver) being done to increase the bass, or tape modding and tube amps to tame the treble. Not to mention Rhydon and Custom Magnum drivers and his attempt to offer a more balanced Joseph Grado sound (which are now Turbulent X-Drivers). Last not least, most recently the Senn/Grado mods of those placing Sennheiser drivers in custom Grado cups. 

I finally feel like Grado got it right. The GH1 embodies the magic and "balance" that the Vintage (A) RS1 possessed. I hope Grado listens again and gets the RS1e right. Wouldn't it be great to have the GH1 driver or an "e series" driver that is even more refined in a deeper RS1 cup?

I plugged my Yamy back up, turned it on, and it worked fine for about a minute then it started to make that loud crackling sound again, so I don't think that it's a fuse.

Tomorrow I'll pop the Hood, and have a look see. If I don't see anything obvious, I'll buy a new one. I mean, 13 years for a surround reciever makes it a dinosaur.

I had paid about $1600 for my Yamaha 2200 back in 2002, and this time I won't spend more than $1000, on a new one. These things change so fast, that by the time you're done hooking things up, they're already obsolete!
rolleyes.gif

I just checked out the new Yamys, and I don't see how I'd ba able to hook up my two headphone amps, even the pricy ones don't have analog pass through. My old one has 4 or 5 of them.

I plan on buying another vintage Marantz to feed my turntable, my reel to reel, and my headphone amps. I just love the lusheous, tubey sound of those mid 70s machines. They look very nice, and you can get a
mint one, for about $100 to $200.

Packaging aside, to be able to get a pair of headphones that sound and look this good feels like a steal to me. Much more fun to listen to than many $1000.00 plus phones.

I think that they look like the RS2e. Grados woodies have had that look for about 20 years, so I was expecting something a little different. You know, like their previous special edition model.

Oh!, and In my opinion, the Bushmills were a steal, not the GH-1.

Aug 1, 2015 at 10:14 PM Post #27,028 of 65,667
Mine are 10 years apart and every once in a while my Wife hints about having another, not sure I still have the energy, my 14 year old is driving me nuts:confounded:. Though I think I may have made her a jazz lover on our long vacation drives!
That's so cool Wildcat. My 15yr old daughter loves "The Genius", Ray Charles. Don't be fooled by the Mrs. my friend. Women's be tricky!

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:00 PM Post #27,029 of 65,667
  Well, after the thunderstorm ended, I fired my Yamaha RX-V 2220 back on, and I can officially say that the amp section is dead. 
On a more positive note. My vintage Marantz 2226B, hasn't been damaged by the storm, so I was able to get one more hour with my GH-1. In my opinion, Grado has achieved a near perfect balance with the GH-1, meaning that neither the bass, mids of highs stand out above the others.
I have found that I have a very hard time taking off the GH-1. 

Bitter sweet…sorry about your Yamaha, glad your Marantz is good!
I agree with what your saying here so far. Very nicely balanced and I haven't listened to any other Grado since I received the GH-1…I'm also burning them in though, but at the same time enjoying them very much!

Just my opinion, I still think the GH-1 is what the RS1e was supposed to sound like, and after Grado read all the negative posts, they redeemed themselves/RS1e with the GH-1…regardless of the cup depth. 
smile.gif

Trust me, you're not missing anything vs. the HD800 and Audeze, etc.  They are various shades of 'different', but better ... no, I don't think so.

+1
I couldn't agree more!

Quote:
  GH-1 is new? Is hard to find? Where are folks finding them?? I was serious a ways back when I wrote whats a GH-1??....LOL
tongue_smile.gif

Yes the GH-1 is Grados latest "Limited Edition" (click here)

Aug 2, 2015 at 12:44 AM Post #27,030 of 65,667
I think that they look like the RS2e. Grados woodies have had that look for about 20 years, so I was expecting something a little different. You know, like their previous special edition model.

Oh!, and In my opinion, the Bushmills were a steal, not the GH-1.

There are some subtle differences from the look of the past 20 years that really set them apart visually. Of course the different wood type, the less glossy, raw wood finish and the small reveal around the outer edge of the cup which really gives it a crisp outline compared to the typical chamfered edge. May not mean much to others but for me a nice upgrade aesthetically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back