Grado Fan Club!
Jul 22, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #26,701 of 65,608
I agree on the packaging - if the cost savings are going into a better piece of gear.  I'd like to see a slightly nicer carton - $5 or $10 to make the packaging a bit more special would be worth it, if only for the collector value on a limited edition product.

The lack of a serial number, especially on a limited edition, is baffling to me though.  It makes me question the attention to detail, or if I were a little more cynical, whether they are intentionally trying to hide the quantity produced.  :confused_face(1):

That's exactly my point. For $650.00 we're able to get an amazingly good sounding headphone that IMO is better than phones like an Oppo or LCD-2 etc that have elaborate packaging. I guess I'm not so concerned about the "limited edition" part. I'm just really happy to get a great sounding and looking headphone. I guess I'd be cynical if it didn't sound so good.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #26,702 of 65,608
Yes,

Is there anyone on the thread with both the GH-1/RS2e?
Thanks!

Yes.  I literally just opened the box on my GH1.

Initial impression (less than 5 minutes of listening!) ... I can immediately tell that I like the tonal balance on the GH1 much better than the RS2e.  I personally find the RS2e too bright & fatiguing without the tape mod and/or a few dB of "tilt" EQ to bring the treble down.

Once I get a few hours of listening in, I'll post more comments about the differences between these two.

When you get those few hrs on the new GH1's and congrats on them could you plz elaborate on the mids and bottom end between rs2e and gh1?
Thnx
:)

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #26,703 of 65,608
I think it's US salary against China salary.
A tenured lecturer in public university in China can get paid less than 800 dollars a month. I'm sure Grado workers makes more than them and so.. more cost.

But the packaging situation is both over-exaggerated and annoying.
I mean, it's Grado. People that ordered the GH-1 should know exactly that Grado have their own "Creative Quality Control". Which is.. come on, still better than some other headphone brands out there (particularly the Great-Value-yet-mediocre-QC Chinese Brands). So in that sense, I say you guys should have expected this from Grado.

But then again... if I were you guys, it would be annoying to me too seeing the package for the first time.
I'd also be like "Dang Grado, you done did it to me again, sham lam dooblee doo"

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #26,705 of 65,608
For those concerned about a serial # - have you guys noticed the number written inside of each cup (like, in the chamber that the driver sits)? It's hard to make out but, I've got numbers written inside mine.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:53 PM Post #26,706 of 65,608
Yeah all my wooden Grados have this number inside of them as well.
:)

Only on my limited edition HF2's is the number the same inside cups as per the serial on plastic blocks and on the wooden cups.
My RS series have different numbers on the inside compared to the plastic block and side wood cups.

Jul 22, 2015 at 6:56 PM Post #26,707 of 65,608
Looks like the numbers inside have designations for left and right sides as well.

By the way, the cushioned headband on the GH1 is the same one as that came with my transitional RS1/RS1e model.  Maybe they had leftover stock after moving onto the brown headbands..

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:22 PM Post #26,708 of 65,608
request: gh1 vs rs1 buttoned

beerchug.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #26,710 of 65,608
  I'm cynical like that too...the lack of serial number is very strange, given that all of their regular run from the rs2 up gets one.  

From the comments that I have read so far, Grado seems to have a winner the GH-1...as far as sound quality goes anyway.

I can't believe that Grado managed to get the hard part right, wich is producing good sounding headphones, and they've managed to screw up the easy part, wich is, giving their ''special edition'' headphones a serial number, as well as a decent, if not special, packaging.

I can't believe that they've actually managed to screw up the name of the damn things! This time, the usual ''Grados are built by hand'', or ''Grado is a small family buisness'' excuses don't fly. The fact that all of boxes seem to have the wrong markings certainly rules out the Friday afternoon carelesness.

If my pair says, ''Grado prestige series'', instead of ''Heritage'', I will contact Grado for an explanation. I really hope that all the people who have posted complaints about their GH-1, will do the same. We can't expect things to change, if we keep quiet about this kind of nonsense.

For the record, I have no problem letting Grado know when I don't agree with their way of doing, just like I have no problem taking the time to let them know how much I enjoy some of their products. I may one of the The Dark Side's hardest cusyomers to please, but over the years I have spent about $7000 on Grado products, so I can't be THAT hard to please.
wink.gif

I got a message from TTVJ today, informing me that my GH-1s are on the way.
popcorn.gif

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:19 PM Post #26,711 of 65,608
If my pair says, ''Grado prestige series'', instead of ''Heritage'', I will contact Grado for an explanation. I really hope that all the people who have posted complaints about their GH-1, will do the same. We can't expect things to change, if we keep quiet about this kind of nonsense.

As long as it's only the label on the box, it really isn't a big deal as long as the headphones themselves are error-free, right? And sound great too of course... :wink:

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:27 PM Post #26,712 of 65,608

beerchug.gif

I promise you that as soon as my GH-1 arrives, this will be the first comparison that I'll do.
beerchug.gif

I think it's US salary against China salary.
A tenured lecturer in public university in China can get paid less than 800 dollars a month. I'm sure Grado workers makes more than them and so.. more cost.

But the packaging situation is both over-exaggerated and annoying.
I mean, it's Grado. People that ordered the GH-1 should know exactly that Grado have their own "Creative Quality Control". Which is.. come on, still better than some other headphone brands out there (particularly the Great-Value-yet-mediocre-QC Chinese Brands). So in that sense, I say you guys should have expected this from Grado.

But then again... if I were you guys, it would be annoying to me too seeing the package for the first time.
I'd also be like "Dang Grado, you done did it to me again, sham lam dooblee doo"

We're not talking about a pair of SR60e, that costs $120 ish, (I'm in Canada), were talking about a pair of Special Edition, that costs $700 ish, (Still in Canada).

I don't see how you can blame the people for expecting a nicer presentation for their GH-1. I mean, Grado did good with the D.G and the Bushmills, Special Edition''. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:34 PM Post #26,713 of 65,608

My box shows "Grado Prestige Series" then MODEL GH1 on the next line.

They were to cheap for new stickers?!?  It's so sad it's funny.

I don't know, I kind of appreciate the minimal packaging.  Once I take the phones out, the box goes in the closet until it's time to sell. I've tried many of the hot planars lately and they all have very elaborate packaging that just seems a little silly and has to add quite a bit to the cost.  For example, I recently bought and returned the Oppo PM-1 which had a huge outer box and glossy wood box that was so heavy I could hardly carry it the mile walk from the store back home and had to add at least $150.00 to the cost.  Unfortunately, the headphones sounded pretty lousy to me so it was almost like the packaging was a diversion. The grado box adequately protects the phones and doesn't take up much room.

Agree 100%. Speaking personally I could never get in on the LCD bandwagon partly because of the display case. Its not what would be called high quality either, which made it seem all the more a charade and a waste. 

I finally have 50+ hr burn in on this demo RS-2i. It came with a label on the box that read "Opened to show client 02/03/14", and it looked like it hadn't had that much use.

Tonally it suits my hearing which is attenuated in the HF (see link in sig). I'm listening right now to Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra "Up Close" (binaural) with the iTunes equalizer set to treble booster. Looking at the list of my past systems, no doubt three or four years ago the RS-2i would probably have too much energy in the highs for my taste. Its doing fine now.
biggrin.gif

Edit: (Listening now to Flamenco Sketches)

Not that I'm thinking seriously about adding an amp as I'm trying to keep things simple, but a GS-1 would absolutely rock with the RS-2i. Would probably allow me to turn the equalizer off, which I'd really like to do. Not sure but IIRC, that's what I had with the classic RS-1 that I loved so much. Okay, I'm 50/50 on getting a GS-1. 

Jul 22, 2015 at 11:45 PM Post #26,714 of 65,608
  I finally have 50+ hr burn in on this demo RS-2i. It came with a label on the box that read "Opened to show client 02/03/14", and it looked like it hadn't had that much use.

Tonally it suits my hearing which is attenuated in the HF (see link in sig). I'm listening right now to Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra "Up Close" (binaural) with the iTunes equalizer set to treble booster. Looking at the list of my past systems, no doubt three or four years ago the RS-2i would probably have too much energy in the highs for my taste. Its doing fine now.
biggrin.gif

I can't get the RS2i's off my head daily enjoy them thoroughly..
L3000.gif

beerchug.gif

I promise you that as soon as my GH-1 arrives, this will be the first comparison that I'll do.
beerchug.gif

I can't wait for this comparison. I think Worms also has the RS1's so awaiting his thoughts hopefully soon.
popcorn.gif

beerchug.gif

Jul 23, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #26,715 of 65,608
As long as it's only the label on the box, it really isn't a big deal as long as the headphones themselves are error-free, right? And sound great too of course...
wink.gif

It's not only the label, it's the overall presentation that looks pedestrian.

1) - Ordinary desing
2) - 1/8'' connector
3) - No extension
4) - Thin cardboard box
5) - Wrong labelling
6) - No serial number

I see no cause for celebration, just because the GH-1 are ''error free'', I mean, this a pretty simple product here, not a space shuttle. As I've said before, I am glad that the GH-1 are recieving good comments, but... you know...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back