Grado Fan Club!
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:33 PM Post #13,637 of 65,649
No, which is why it called for celebration! Haha

OK, I get it. We in Scotland would willingly sell you some if you want. There's rarely a day goes by that it doesn't rain at some point.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:35 PM Post #13,638 of 65,649
OK, I get it. We in Scotland would willingly sell you some if you want. There's rarely a day goes by that it doesn't rain at some point.

You have yourself a deal, kind sir. We will take all that anyone is able to spare. We have been in "Exceptional" drought (not sure why exceptional is worse than "Extreme" but it is...) for about four years.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #13,639 of 65,649
What qualifies as exceptional? I remember a whole week once without rain. I think the crime rate went up, lol.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:40 PM Post #13,640 of 65,649
i've been known to get the funk out from time to time
Everybody needs a little funk now and then. Speaking of funky, I got an email from Sue at Sophia Electric today. She said that the Royal Princess 300B or the Princess 300B mesh plate power tubes would be a good match for my WA6. Anybody here have any experience with either of these power tubes? If someone wants to send me a pair of Royal Princess 300B tubes to try out until I die that would be great too.

Apr 6, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #13,641 of 65,649

i've been known to get the funk out from time to time

Everybody needs a little funk now and then. Speaking of funky, I got an email from Sue at Sophia Electric today. She said that the Royal Princess 300B or the Princess 300B mesh plate power tubes would be a good match for my WA6. Anybody here have any experience with either of these power tubes? If someone wants to send me a pair of Royal Princess 300B tubes to try out until I die that would be great too.

I had no idea a 300B would fit in a WA6, even with an adaptor.  Are you sure?

Apr 6, 2014 at 5:05 PM Post #13,642 of 65,649
No I'm not sure, that's why I asked if anyone knew anything about the Sophia Electric 300B tubes. I checked and I did mention in my email that I was using a Woo Audio WA6.

Apr 6, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #13,643 of 65,649

No I'm not sure, that's why I asked if anyone knew anything about the Sophia Electric 300B tubes. I checked and I did mention in my email that I was using a Woo Audio WA6.

According to the Woo Tube Compatibility Chart, the 300B is for the WA5/5LE, as far as it looks to me;
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ama6VqAKDF7adFlpSFh2ZDVMdnBfS2VpSUxfcEVpTnc&hl=en&output=html
I forget what amp punit has, but I believe he has a WA6, (I could be wrong), because I though I once asked him how the WA6 sounded with all Sophia's running in it, and he said you will get the widest sound stage with them, so maybe he'll chime in.
My mistake...punit and I were talking about the Sophia 6SN7's, not the 300B, sorry.

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:23 PM Post #13,644 of 65,649

According to the Woo Tube Compatibility Chart, the 300B is for the WA5/5LE, as far as it looks to me;
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0Ama6VqAKDF7adFlpSFh2ZDVMdnBfS2VpSUxfcEVpTnc&hl=en&output=html
I forget what amp punit has, but I believe he has a WA6, (I could be wrong), because I though I once asked him how the WA6 sounded with all Sophia's running in it, and he said you will get the widest sound stage with them, so maybe he'll chime in.

Yeah, Sue at Sophia Electric might profit from a little homework as regards Woo.  The WA6 needs dual triodes in the driver/power section (the 300B can't be one) and the 300B is certainly not a rectifier tube.  Try to visualize two 300B's in the front of a WA6.  Hilarious.  

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #13,645 of 65,649
Rewired my Grados to 3.5mm today, check it out!

Made a full album with a guide too, if you guys wanna check it out. Next step, detachable cable! 
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #13,646 of 65,649
Yeah, Sue at Sophia Electric might profit from a little homework as regards Woo.  The WA6 needs dual triodes in the driver/power section (the 300B can't be one) and the 300B is certainly not a rectifier tube.  Try to visualize two 300B's in the front of a WA6.  Hilarious.  
All I know is I'm glad that I don't have to buy the $1K a pair Sophia Electric 300B tubes yet. I'll wait until I can afford a WA5. From my reading of the Woo compatibility chart it looks like the WA6 will take the Sophia 6SN7 power tubes with an adapter. At only $200.00 a pair they're a much more affordable power tube option.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:15 PM Post #13,647 of 65,649

All I know is I'm glad that I don't have to buy the $1K a pair Sophia Electric 300B tubes yet. I'll wait until I can afford a WA5. From my reading of the Woo compatibility chart it looks like the WA6 will take the Sophia 6SN7 power tubes with an adapter. At only $200.00 a pair they're a much more affordable power tube option.

You just refreshed my memory…this is what I asked punit about, the Sophia 6SN7's, thanks.

Apr 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM Post #13,648 of 65,649
  It's raining in Austin today, so naturally I have ZZ Top going on the RS1s! Sweet!

x2...  I've been listening to a lot of ZZ top the last couple days.  The RS1/2 are the only cans that  get Billy Gibbons guitar tone right... everything else is a synthetic reproduction.

Apr 6, 2014 at 9:00 PM Post #13,649 of 65,649
Darn you whirlwind & jaywillin.. just spent some money on iTunes getting some Beth Hart and Joe Bonamassa..
Nice picks & thanks!
L3000.gif

Quote:
Sunday morning wake up call.....while we are waiting for, Jay
smile.gif

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:25 PM Post #13,650 of 65,649
Just because someone in this thread might appreciate it:

I received a secondhand pair of EarSonics SM64s this week, and much like the Sony 7506 is IMO, the closest closed can to a Grado, these are the closest thing I've heard in IEM form. They're remarkably similar the RS1. Rich mids, thumping bass, detailed yet non-fatiguing treble and the best soundstage I've ever heard from an in-ear. For anyone looking for a Grado in IEM form, this is it! (Granted I've never heard the GR8 or GR10...)

Also, this album was made for Grados!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back