Grado Fan Club!
Mar 11, 2014 at 1:50 PM Post #12,736 of 65,648
Having said that, i just traded another non-Grado sounding Grado (the Bushmills) for a pair of LCD 2.2 in Rosewood. Seems to be from 2011 and it came in a very fancy wooden box instead of the current LCD "flight case". Now I just need work to end to go and try them :)

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #12,737 of 65,648
The PS500's look really intriguing. I have no way of testing Grado 'phones but it sounds to me like they're exactly what I like out of music (rock-oriented with a lot of bass?). And holy crap you can run the PS500's off of an iPhone??

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:56 PM Post #12,738 of 65,648
The PS500's look really intriguing. I have no way of testing Grado 'phones but it sounds to me like they're exactly what I like out of music (rock-oriented with a lot of bass?). And holy crap you can run the PS500's off of an iPhone??

yeah but you could also get something like a DT990 or Fidelio X1 and countless others for cheaper....and they would be more comfortable with nicer pads and headbands. People put up with the Grado quirks because they enjoy the Grado sound. if you don't like the Grado sound I don't see any reason to buy a PS500. There is nothing too special or unique about it, unlike the rest of the Grado SR and RS series. (I can't comment on the GS or PS 1000).

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:58 PM Post #12,739 of 65,648

yeah but you could also get something like a DT990 or Fidelio X1 and countless others for cheaper....and they would be more comfortable with nicer pads and headbands.

Well, per my avatar I'm wearing a pair of VModa M100's that I love to bits. I'm just looking for MORE of it (eventually). I'm not a stickler for nice pads and headbands, hell I didn't even mind the notoriously uncomfortable Beats Mixrs. 

Wasn't exactly in love with the Beyer DT770, unless these are completely night and day. I admit also that the PS550s look significantly more portable.

Mar 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM Post #12,740 of 65,648
I wouldn't say night & day, I believe all Beyers in the DT line have the same drivers, but the DT990 do sound more refined than the DT770. If you didn't like the 770 though, I doubt the 990s would be a good fit.

Mar 11, 2014 at 7:27 PM Post #12,742 of 65,648
  Speaking of Ugly Ducklings, I notice the PS500 does not seem to get too much attention.  I have been thinking about getting a set of Grados and buildd quality, as well as sound quality are important to me.  The two sets I'm considering are the PS500 and the RS1.i.  There is a $100 price difference between the two, with the PS500 being less expensive.  I cannot audition any Grados so, any advice would be appreciated.

I have the SR80is, and I'll be getting the PS500s any day now. The RS1s are basically what the sr80s strive to be, at least that's what everyone says. So I'll be going from an aggressive grado signature, to a much more balanced signature, though everyone says the PS500s still retain the grado sound, just not the bright highs.

Honestly that's the main draw of the PS500s to me. At times, possibly when I'm drinking too much, and I'm listening to more modern music, I really like to feel the impact of alot of the newer stuff. Yes, I will listen to lady gaga upon occasion, maybe even a (oh no he didnnnnn) rap song... Only when drinking. Anyways I find that I often have to turn the music up to hear what I know is in the music, and I can tell that the highs really are starting to impact my long term hearing. It's worth 600 bucks I completely do not have for headphones to keep my hearing good while I'm young, and still be able to listen to music like I want to.

Anyways, long post, but that's my rationale. I'm pretty sure the PS500s will pretty much be my dream can, and the only thing from now on will be save up the 3k from the Woo 5-LE, then another k for the tube upgrades, then another k for a good dac, then another k for good cd/vinyl players.... So I'm not out of the woods quite yet, in fact I'm about 10% in, but we will see here in a few days.

By the way, I ordered from grado's 4yourears site, and I don't recommend it. If you order from Woo, same price, and you get a free headphone stand that looks nice. 4yourears is taking forever to ship them to me. They gave me a tracking number, and marked the order shipped, but usps hasn't received the package yet, which makes me sad. I guess they printed the label off and never took it to the post office, and here I am 5 days later :frowning2: I'll call them tomorrow and yell at them some. I don't mind paying full price and getting no kickback, because I enjoy paying full price for great things, but at least they could ship them when they say they will.

Oops, didn't mean to rant quite like that. Sorry.

Mar 11, 2014 at 8:12 PM Post #12,743 of 65,648
Oh man, great post!

So sorry Grado has a dunce in the shipping department, or, maybe it's another dunce up the chain.

Look forward to your impressions of the 500.

I've got my opinions.  Hope to hear (read) yours. 

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #12,745 of 65,648
  I have the SR80is, and I'll be getting the PS500s any day now. The RS1s are basically what the sr80s strive to be, at least that's what everyone says. So I'll be going from an aggressive grado signature, to a much more balanced signature, though everyone says the PS500s still retain the grado sound, just not the bright highs.

Honestly that's the main draw of the PS500s to me. At times, possibly when I'm drinking too much, and I'm listening to more modern music, I really like to feel the impact of alot of the newer stuff. Yes, I will listen to lady gaga upon occasion, maybe even a (oh no he didnnnnn) rap song... Only when drinking. Anyways I find that I often have to turn the music up to hear what I know is in the music, and I can tell that the highs really are starting to impact my long term hearing. It's worth 600 bucks I completely do not have for headphones to keep my hearing good while I'm young, and still be able to listen to music like I want to.

Anyways, long post, but that's my rationale. I'm pretty sure the PS500s will pretty much be my dream can, and the only thing from now on will be save up the 3k from the Woo 5-LE, then another k for the tube upgrades, then another k for a good dac, then another k for good cd/vinyl players.... So I'm not out of the woods quite yet, in fact I'm about 10% in, but we will see here in a few days.

By the way, I ordered from grado's 4yourears site, and I don't recommend it. If you order from Woo, same price, and you get a free headphone stand that looks nice. 4yourears is taking forever to ship them to me. They gave me a tracking number, and marked the order shipped, but usps hasn't received the package yet, which makes me sad. I guess they printed the label off and never took it to the post office, and here I am 5 days later :frowning2: I'll call them tomorrow and yell at them some. I don't mind paying full price and getting no kickback, because I enjoy paying full price for great things, but at least they could ship them when they say they will.

Oops, didn't mean to rant quite like that. Sorry.

I like the PS500's the best so far, 325's were to bright for me, RS1's were meh..., I also like the iGrado for work, really sounding good driven by my studio V 3rd.

Oh man, great post!

So sorry Grado has a dunce in the shipping department, or, maybe it's another dunce up the chain.

Look forward to your impressions of the 500.

I've got my opinions.  Hope to hear (read) yours. 

Yeah, I had issues with ordering from them too, they must have forgot to ship my order till I called them, then magically I got a shipping notice an hour later...and an apology for it taking so long, which was nice.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #12,747 of 65,648
Oh Man, Sams sporting a set of planars!

Are these your first, or have you tried other sets?

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:18 PM Post #12,748 of 65,648
Been there ........

Hope they sound great!

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #12,749 of 65,648
Oh Man, Sams sporting a set of planars!

Are these your first, or have you tried other sets?

A friend has a pair of he400s that I've listened to quite often but I've never owned planars. These are a lot more refined and even sounding than the he400.

But both the WA6 and MKIII are struggling. Volume is fine but definitely missing dynamics. A new amp will have to wait though.

Not as warm sounding as many claim and while the bass goes deep it's not very punchy but that could also be amp related.

Mar 11, 2014 at 9:33 PM Post #12,750 of 65,648
A friend has a pair of he400s that I've listened to quite often but I've never owned planars. These are a lot more refined and even sounding than the he400.

But both the WA6 and MKIII are struggling. Volume is fine but definitely missing dynamics. A new amp will have to wait though.

Not as warm sounding as many claim and while the bass goes deep it's not very punchy but that could also be amp related.

To my ears, I never really found the HE-400, HE-500, or LCD-2 that dynamic.  They are crystal clear with a black background but I always feel they are missing the excitement of the dynamic headphones I've owned.   Whenever I would compare the planars to the PS500 or HD650/HD800 the dynamic cans would always have a more exciting sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back