Grado Fan Club!
Feb 28, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #12,451 of 65,611
I don't know what is going on but these 225s that I got have got some very deep and powerful bass. I mean the bass performance is close to my D2000. This is not how I remember my previous pair of 22d performing at all.

Any mods at all to the 225's?

At any rate, I really enjoy the bass from mine.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:38 PM Post #12,453 of 65,611
  New headband from Turbulent labs for my PS500s. Was a little bit worried about installation but it only took a few minutes and didn't require any tools. Comfort is great and I think the tan leather looks great against the silver of the cups.

They make great headbands, and that is beautiful....I really love my headband on the RS1i, though.

Feb 28, 2014 at 5:44 PM Post #12,454 of 65,611

OK... So I just pulled the trigger on a pair of Grado PS 500s... My intended use is for recording evaluation and using with my Yamaha CP 300 keyboard during evening sessions... I do have a Little Dot LD 1+ sitting on top of the CP 300 hooked to the unbalanced outputs(L+R)...

I hope they do it for me...

Any comments or suggestions?...

Little Dot:  Muses02 opamp... Voshkod tubes... Mogami interconnects...

PS: Anyone know how long the cable is on these?... I've been getting conflicting numbers on this...

PPS: Spending $600.00 for headphones makes me a little weak in the knees...

what do you mean by "recording evaluation"?

I'm currently involved with sending out samples of my keyboard pieces to prospective clients... And I don't have a set of monitors in my apt.  I do have a set of pretty good speakers in the CP 300 [better than most on-board keyboard speakers]... But my use for the PS 500s will primarily be to evaluate the quality of the recordings... I record in MP3 and some WAV files, which are larger... Then dump onto Audacity... Then I can tweak them somewhat, and add percussion tracks, etc...

I'm also doing a background track for an art exhibit my ex is entering in NYC... It's a string section, mostly... But I need to check it with a good transducer before I send it out...

Something like this string section:  https://soundcloud.com/signet/file0144

So, what do you think of the PS 500s?...

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:13 PM Post #12,456 of 65,611
Typically the PS500 wouldn't be considered a good headphone for any sort of music production or recording. It's too coloured and you could get some unexpected results unless you know how to compensate for their signature.

Right... I do have more neutral headphones... But over the years, I've learned to compensate for phones and speakers that might have coloration...  And sometimes a more 'popular' sound signature gives you a better idea of the results for the end listener... Also, the people listening to my stuff want to get a meatier idea of the finished product, as these recordings are only samples I send out... Hopefully, anyway, a better version would follow... Although, not often enough!...

Feb 28, 2014 at 6:40 PM Post #12,457 of 65,611

Right... I do have more neutral headphones... But over the years, I've learned to compensate for phones and speakers that might have coloration...  And sometimes a more 'popular' sound signature gives you a better idea of the results for the end listener... Also, the people listening to my stuff want to get a meatier idea of the finished product, as these recordings are only samples I send out... Hopefully, anyway, a better version would follow... Although, not often enough!...

well in that case i'm sure you'll enjoy them.  I've never tried the LD amp but it seems to be a favorite around here.  I have the LD MKIII and think it's pretty good for the money. 

Feb 28, 2014 at 7:15 PM Post #12,458 of 65,611

well in that case i'm sure you'll enjoy them.  I've never tried the LD amp but it seems to be a favorite around here.  I have the LD MKIII and think it's pretty good for the money. 

Well, we'll see what they do for me [PS 500]... You don't know what you've got until you plug them in... I'm mostly involved with what I would call the lower end of the music biz... Mostly local stuff... I'd need more gear to get me to a higher level... I've been a musician all my life... But this electronic stuff is often a mystery to me...

I'm going to burn the phones in for about 100 hrs. before I even put them on my head...

And then we'll go from there...

PS: Heard the LD MKIII, and it's a nice unit...

Mar 1, 2014 at 12:16 AM Post #12,459 of 65,611
A lot of pros use Grados as studio headphones, I'm sure you'll be satisfied.

Mar 1, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #12,460 of 65,611

evil_smiley.gif

I just got an old pair of sr325 today in the mail. I also ordered a little dot I+ amp that I'll get in the mail in a few days with the stock tubes.

Any tube recommendations for this combo from owners on here? I know there's a massive thread on the little dot tube rolling, but I haven't got much of a chance lately to read up on it...
frown.gif

Anyhow, these sound great! I've been Grado-less since I sold my last Rs1i, and I don't think I'll miss them much with these babies!
evil_smiley.gif
 All I need now is my Little dot!  ok, maybe a little

Mar 1, 2014 at 3:54 AM Post #12,461 of 65,611
I'm currently rockin the 6HM5 from Yugoslavia. So far they have sounded great with everything I have thrown at them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300879467071?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #12,462 of 65,611
  I just got an old pair of sr325 today in the mail. I also ordered a little dot I+ amp that I'll get in the mail in a few days with the stock tubes.

Any tube recommendations for this combo from owners on here? I know there's a massive thread on the little dot tube rolling, but I haven't got much of a chance lately to read up on it...
frown.gif

Anyhow, these sound great! I've been Grado-less since I sold my last Rs1i, and I don't think I'll miss them much with these babies!
evil_smiley.gif

Once you have that tube amp, you won't miss em at all :wink:

Mar 1, 2014 at 4:40 AM Post #12,463 of 65,611
I'm currently rockin the 6HM5 from Yugoslavia. So far they have sounded great with everything I have thrown at them!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/300879467071?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

thanks for your input!

Once you have that tube amp, you won't miss em at all :wink:

can't wait!
popcorn.gif

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:14 AM Post #12,464 of 65,611

frown.gif

evil_smiley.gif

why's you sell the rs1i's if you don't mind me asking 

Mar 1, 2014 at 7:29 AM Post #12,465 of 65,611

the LD1+ rules

Users who are viewing this thread

Back