Grado Fan Club!
Jun 20, 2023 at 2:56 PM Post #61,306 of 65,658
Dear reader, if this applies to YOU
6058A80A-7B61-4936-B89A-A782D7578B1C.jpeg
go elsewhere !!

Jun 20, 2023 at 2:59 PM Post #61,307 of 65,658
** the real ones are every day … 🤪😂🤪😂.
So I notice.

BTW, do take note of the photo below. It is called a music 🎶 enhancer and has a potent effect when used at the exact right moment.

Attachments

• IMG_8043.png
    IMG_8043.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 20, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #61,308 of 65,658
So I notice.

BTW, do take note of the photo below. It is called a music 🎶 enhancer and has a potent effect when used at the exact right moment.
giphy.gif

Jun 20, 2023 at 4:54 PM Post #61,309 of 65,658
I mentioned that there will be JAZZ (my prelude to tube sound before I get a proper tube amp) and there indeed is.

Had to pull it out and place it on top of the rack because with rca cable it is longer than this rack (3x longer than the rock ff with cables connected it does not fit inside) but that is OK with warm weather approaching (its already 32C today) at least it gets some air.

This will be a 200h burn-in round (same as it was with the rock ff).

jazz.JPG
jazzrs1x.JPG
cordajazz.JPG

What I can tell already about out of the box JAZZ:

JAZZ ff sounds better with RS1x than with The Hemp.
RS1x responds better to its smoothness and sweet soft tonality than The Hemp.
I can hear difference with FF on/off so the on/off button works :)

Compared to the rock ff JAZZ sound more smooth and wider there is better separation of lowend/bass and overall refinement there is more presence to upper midrange but commenting on sound of a brand new unit is meh.

Looks like I am back to RS1x and probably for sure also back to the gs1000x for the next 200+ hours its time to put The hemp back into the box for some rest after last 8 days of non-stop use they deserve it for all that enjoyment they delivered and I will let them.
I am a big fan of the Meier amps. I never thought that my Meier Classic ff had good synergy with any of my Grados. But the little portable Quickstep sounds better with Grados to my ears. I still haven’t heard the Jazz but nice to see that his amplifiers still get some love 😎👍🏻

Jun 20, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #61,310 of 65,658
I am a big fan of the Meier amps. 😎👍🏻

Me too ! I say do not underestimate these amps only because they are budget priced there is indeed magic going on and this is not a hype in any shape or form. I discovered this with my own ears...it is very true and real.

--
a few notes on the Jazz + RS1x combination after listening to this since Jazz arrived more or less non stop today I will rather not make this a separate post:

Got a feeling that this is "The One" for the RS1x for me already because of that midrange/upper midrange resonance with RS1x is increasing in presence and getting that "right" violin like tone sharpness/intensity on certain songs starting to notice this more and more with the Jazz...(btw lower midrange is resonating too)

Rock ff is more about lowend... it looks like Jazz is mainly about up and low mids with added softness/sweetness in lowend plus more overall refinement than the rock ff. But there is something completely different/else going on:

RS1x adds intensity to Jazz softness changing/transforming the soft/sweet/warm tone into resonance/intensity sharp one this is a new and exciting experience to me !

I really love this combination after just these few hours how is this possible? maybe because it is on for 10 hours and warmed up (rock ff sound the best after it is on for hours and hours too nothing new here).

It will be like this for me:
Rock ff for The Hemp, Jazz for the RS1x and maybe? (for the gs1000x too I have not tested it yet because I can not stop listening to the RS1x on the Jazz) never noticed this RS1x resonance on the rock ff (it is not subtle but rather intense with the Jazz).

btw today I lost sense of time/forgot about time (5 hours passed like nothing) during listening to the RS1x on the Jazz and nearly forgot that I have to water the garden at the end of this hot/tropic 33C day ! maybe that is an indicator of this pairing being nothing less than "phenomenal" at least for me it is (no doubt whatsoever).

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 10:04 AM Post #61,311 of 65,658
After a couple of days with the RS-1x they are my goto headphone for acoustic/folk/classical
Female artists sound wonderful especially etta james
I even listened to early Bob Dylan last night and enjoyed it so much I did his first 3 albums.
Saw him a couple of years back at Hyde Park he was terrible,that bad I left and went the pub so I have never listened him since but the RS-1x has brought his early genius back to life for me.
I enjoyed Motorhead live at Montreal jazz festival 07 I could hear the words seen them 6 times never herd a word just pure Lemmy Bass normally.
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses was also a stand out album on the RS-1x.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 10:46 AM Post #61,312 of 65,658
After a couple of days with the RS-1x they are my goto headphone for acoustic/folk/classical
I even listened to early Bob Dylan last night and enjoyed it so much I did his first 3 albums.
Saw him a couple of years back at Hyde Park he was terrible,that bad I left and went the pub so I have never listened him since but the RS-1x has brought his early genius back to life for me.
I enjoyed Motorhead live at Montreal jazz festival 07 I could hear the words seen them 6 times never herd a word just pure Lemmy Bass normally.
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses was also a stand out album on the RS-1x.

I have memories and stories to tell from my youth visiting festivals like sleeping in a little tent (for two) together with five other drunk people being drunk all the time there and missing all the shows then returning home ALONE by train hungry,dirty and looking desperate with no money, without a backpack (lost) only with the train ticket in my hand (I found the return ticket in my pocket by pure luck).
I remember that one friend was returning from there two weeks after the festival ended...he was very quiet about the Why? question I still have no idea to this day what was he doing there that long...

another one: one friend got so drunk that he woke up the next day in the afternoom he was sleeping in the open field being all blood-red in the face from the sun exposure burn we were laughing at him like crazy lol.
AH good old times...

Jun 21, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #61,313 of 65,658
I have memories and stories to tell from my youth visiting festivals like sleeping in a little tent (for two) together with five other drunk people being drunk all the time there and missing all the shows then returning home ALONE by train hungry,dirty and looking desperate with no money, without a backpack (lost) only with the train ticket in my hand (I found the return ticket in my pocket by pure luck).
I remember that one friend was returning from there two weeks after the festival ended...he was very quiet about the Why? question I still have no idea to this day what was he doing there that long...

another one: one friend got so drunk that he woke up the next day in the afternoom he was sleeping in the open field being all blood-red in the face from the sun exposure burn we were laughing at him like crazy lol.
AH good old times...
I loved festivals
Reading and Glastonbury where my favourites in late 80s early 90s
Can't remember a lot of the bands due copious amounts of cider and drugs happy days
Going watching the saw doctors outdoor in 2 weeks in Manchester that will be a mess
Last year I went to watch Stiff little fingers got carried away when alternative ulster came on
Went to the front forgot I was 55 not 25 and ruptured my calf bouncing up and down.

Jun 21, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #61,315 of 65,658
HAHA. Good stuff. Is it healed now?
Calf is fine now after 3 weeks on crouches thank
This was just before my calf went pop
IMG_3652.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #61,317 of 65,658
Jethro Tull Heavy Horses was also a stand out album on the RS-1x.**
** I especially like Benefit on RS-1x. The tonality of Ian Anderson’s flute, Martin Barre’s guitar, Glenn Cornick’s bass really comes out with a lot of ‘air’ in between 😀.

Jun 22, 2023 at 3:20 PM Post #61,319 of 65,658
On a work break at home, I was in the mood for listening via a headphone whose sound (like the 1971 compilation of singles by The Who) is Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy. The obvious choice was:
9E88A723-9DE1-4348-A8EC-C333CB1D5358.jpeg
[Violectric HPA V281 is a splendid partner. Slight tube warmth, great tubelike dimensionality, wondrous transients.]

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2023 at 5:36 PM Post #61,320 of 65,658
On a work break at home, I was in the mood for listening via a headphone whose sound (like the 1971 compilation of singles by The Who) is Meaty, Beaty, Big & Bouncy. The obvious choice was:[Violectric HPA V281 is a splendid partner. Slight tube warmth, great tubelike dimensionality, wondrous transients.]
Why isn’t the Hemp bouncing to the beat?, just seems to be sitting there. No distortion is a plus.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back