Grado Fan Club!
Oct 6, 2022 at 7:33 AM Post #56,866 of 65,772
Oct 6, 2022 at 7:57 AM Post #56,867 of 65,772

Immediately warmer sound, like a more detailed Hemp 🧐 super comfortable as well, I think I like them! Will put them through their paces now :)

I have the same setup. A few comments:

1) they are extremely comfortable - perhaps even the most comfortable of any headphones I have ever felt

2) they benefit from the common tape mod - it gives just a bit more bass, as would be expected

3) strangely, they sound best FURTHER from the ear. Stock, the velours sound a bit closed in to my ears.

However, I wedged a ring shaped 3/8 inch foam spacer and rubber spacer in the space between the headphone and pad. This brought out a lot more clarity and made the balance similar to the sound of the G pad. This mod costs virtually nothing, but made a huge difference for the better.

Attachments

• 20221006_050045.JPG
    20221006_050045.JPG
    852.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221006_050908.JPG
    20221006_050908.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 6, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #56,869 of 65,772
6E78894F-08E1-400A-9546-E0E106006535.jpegA037AF23-2CF9-4763-8FC4-65D6D508492F.jpeg36CF884C-D522-4E6D-A7A0-219D6C5C0C18.jpeg

Immediately warmer sound, like a more detailed Hemp 🧐 super comfortable as well, I think I like them! Will put them through their paces now :)
I do not do a lot of pad swapping but I did find that the Beautiful Audio pads look and make nice music with the GH2.

Attachments

• 7BE8DDB3-6A3C-48F0-9448-A9FF65634D3E.jpeg
    7BE8DDB3-6A3C-48F0-9448-A9FF65634D3E.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 9069A593-364A-47C9-B8EA-658EDC197C1F.jpeg
    9069A593-364A-47C9-B8EA-658EDC197C1F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 1C57A544-DE55-4A7B-9717-0549A3624DC3.jpeg
    1C57A544-DE55-4A7B-9717-0549A3624DC3.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Oct 6, 2022 at 11:14 PM Post #56,870 of 65,772
The best sound that I have heard from RS-1x….
1C5496F6-1B03-45BF-95E2-A7C4497ACE10.jpeg
[Icon Audio HP8 MK-II (Zalytron 5692 pair, RCA black plate 12AX7)]

Oct 7, 2022 at 1:49 AM Post #56,871 of 65,772
With Grados being very easy to drive, power from iPad Pro via Apple USB-C wasn’t ever a limiting factor, and the DAC inside the adapter is (from measurements at least and my ears) very good. Me and my partner did some probably not very scientific A/B blind tests and nada, nothing in soundstage, timbre, imaging, even bass we were straining so hard to hear a difference that it could easily be imagined.
Well measurements mean nada when it comes to actual listening as in a tonal , staging, layering, detail retrieval perspective etc etc ...I have heard a apple usbc dongle and well I didn't think it was much better than my phone which is a Sony Xperia ...the mojo2 imo was multi leagues ahead and I'm talking multi! And I'm sure the majority of listeners , users, buyers would agree with this ...you do get shills , trolls with any product but after time the true evaluation of a product comes to light from sheer numbers of opinion , 8 out of 10 cats usually is the true representative of a product.

But I have never heard rs1x so this debate is moot

I do want to add that I work with two guys one with the latest iPhone and one with a model a few year's older , as a source I don't know if there would be any difference with mojo2 but I do know as a unit for playing music both agree it is in no way comparable to my Sony Xperia x1iii
Also I'm not getting into the android v apple audio debate lol...my opinion yours may differ and thsts fine.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 7:34 AM Post #56,872 of 65,772
Well measurements mean nada when it comes to actual listening as in a tonal , staging, layering, detail retrieval perspective etc etc ...I have heard a apple usbc dongle and well I didn't think it was much better than my phone which is a Sony Xperia ...the mojo2 imo was multi leagues ahead and I'm talking multi! And I'm sure the majority of listeners , users, buyers would agree with this ...you do get shills , trolls with any product but after time the true evaluation of a product comes to light from sheer numbers of opinion , 8 out of 10 cats usually is the true representative of a product.

I do want to add that I work with two guys one with the latest iPhone and one with a model a few year's older , as a source I don't know if there would be any difference with mojo2 but I do know as a unit for playing music both agree it is in no way comparable to my Sony Xperia x1iii
Also I'm not getting into the android v apple audio debate lol...my opinion yours may differ and thsts fine.
Agreed. I’ve said this too many times to count - headphones don’t make sound by themselves. It’s a system, and the limiting factor is the weakest link in the system. It could be the headphones, or the amp, or the source, or even the software. If, for example, I use my iPhone to Bluetooth spotify to my $185 Bluetooth receiver, hooked up to a five-figure system using $1,200 headphones, it’s still going to sound like Spotify via Bluetooth. If I switch to the same album on my SME turntable (or a naim CD player or, I’m certain, a proper hi-res streamer with a hi end dac) - and change nothing else - suddenly the boredom turns to magic. So saying he heard no difference between a mojo and an iPhone, without more, is meaningless. If all the mojo had was a lo res Spotify signal, then it couldn’t sound any better - indeed, it could sound worse because it would do a better job of revealing flaws upstream. Anyway, the point is, it’s all a system, and, for one example, once you damage the signal upstream, there’s no way to put it back with a better amp or dac or a pair of headphones. Add to that the fact that we all hear differently AND we all have different preferences and biases (since everything is a compromise and nothing is perfect, other than live, unamplified music occurring in a real space - IMHO, the only true ‘reference’), and opinions like the above one about the mojo sounding the same as an iPhone provides insufficient data to be meaningful.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 7:43 AM Post #56,873 of 65,772
Agreed. I’ve said this too many times to count - headphones don’t make sound by themselves. It’s a system, and the limiting factor is the weakest link in the system. It could be the headphones, or the amp, or the source, or even the software. If, for example, I use my iPhone to Bluetooth spotify to my $185 Bluetooth receiver, hooked up to a five-figure system using $1,200 headphones, it’s still going to sound like Spotify via Bluetooth. If I switch to the same album on my SME turntable (or a naim CD player or, I’m certain, a proper hi-res streamer with a hi end dac) - and change nothing else - suddenly the boredom turns to magic. So saying he heard no difference between a mojo and an iPhone, without more, is meaningless. If all the mojo had was a lo res Spotify signal, then it couldn’t sound any better - indeed, it could sound worse because it would do a better job of revealing flaws upstream. Anyway, the point is, it’s all a system, and, for one example, once you damage the signal upstream, there’s no way to put it back with a better amp or dac or a pair of headphones. Add to that the fact that we all hear differently AND we all have different preferences and biases (since everything is a compromise and nothing is perfect, other than live, unamplified music occurring in a real space - IMHO, the only true ‘reference’), and opinions like the above one about the mojo sounding the same as an iPhone provides insufficient data to be meaningful.
Yup couldn't of put it better myself.

Oct 7, 2022 at 7:48 AM Post #56,874 of 65,772
The best sound that I have heard from RS-1x…. [Icon Audio HP8 MK-II (Zalytron 5692 pair, RCA black plate 12AX7)]
Not that this is necessarily the right thread for it, but I do believe that I admire your lovely collection of amps even more than your impeccable collection of cans. Delicious!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #56,875 of 65,772
I don’t think I mentioned iPhones or the lightning adapater (that they use) at any point :) I was playing FLAC files, but did also try Spotify to no available. Anyway, I posted on here rather than the Mojo thread more to express my happiness that my Grados sound as good with a £8 dongle as they do with a £500 box. Glad that others (incl. my friend who leant it) find value in the device. Anyway, my covetous eyes have already moved on to the possibilities of tube amps thanks to jonathan c’s posts!

Oct 7, 2022 at 8:03 AM Post #56,876 of 65,772
I don’t think I mentioned iPhones or the lightning adapater (that they use) at any point :) I was playing FLAC files, but did also try Spotify to no available. Anyway, I posted on here rather than the Mojo thread more to express my happiness that my Grados sound as good with a £8 dongle as they do with a £500 box. Glad that others (incl. my friend who leant it) find value in the device. Anyway, my covetous eyes have already moved on to the possibilities of tube amps thanks to jonathan c’s posts!
I stand corrected, you mentioned an ipad and an Apple USB-C, not an iPhone. Same comments, as amended. I’d still require much more info to draw any useful conclusion. I also agree with the other posters who said that if you don’t hear the difference, you are blessed - you’ll save a lot of money over the long haul.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #56,877 of 65,772
I stand corrected, you mentioned an ipad and an Apple USB-C, not an iPhone. Same comments, as amended. I’d still require much more info to draw any useful conclusion. I also agree with the other posters who said that if you don’t hear the difference, you are blessed - you’ll save a lot of money over the long haul.

Enjoy!
I also stand corrected but same principle applies..

Oct 7, 2022 at 9:24 AM Post #56,878 of 65,772

Fine taste in phones - I am rocking an X1iii myself 😁

Users who are viewing this thread

Back