Grado Fan Club!
Aug 28, 2022 at 7:16 AM Post #56,118 of 65,624
Vinyl!? Is GB a Vegan nation?
That's the southern lot us in the north are ale drinking, meat eating and leather wearing neanderthals and proud of it 🤣
istockphoto-823845086-612x612.jpg

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #56,121 of 65,624
The braided cable is more of a hindrance and get yourself a AHG XL sheepskin headband from Amazon £25 👍
I had tried the 325x and do actually prefer the older cable, i wasn't sure if there was any difference in tuning etc. I have the standard ahg headband coming, do you think the xl will be a decent step up in comfort? Also contemplating some shipibo pads but a bit concerned about the reported dip in the mids . I have the geekira g pads on at the mo.

Aug 28, 2022 at 10:39 AM Post #56,124 of 65,624
I had tried the 325x and do actually prefer the older cable, i wasn't sure if there was any difference in tuning etc. I have the standard ahg headband coming, do you think the xl will be a decent step up in comfort? Also contemplating some shipibo pads but a bit concerned about the reported dip in the mids . I have the geekira g pads on at the mo.
The XL is just a bit thicker and wider you'll probably only notice the difference in the width as they are both nicely cushioned, I went with the XL as I just prefer it a bit wider, both good pads especially for the money, stitched well and look good. Can't go wrong with either, I know the guy who runs the shop and I've bought quite a lot of pads / bands and cases off him so I'll make a suggestion on offering different colours as well. Don't get me wrong I love the turbulent ones but the cost of shipping plus the cost of the band together to the UK makes the AHG a no brainer for me.

Aug 28, 2022 at 1:44 PM Post #56,126 of 65,624
I've never tried Grado headphones, I'm looking for something specific enough for Hard Rock and Metal and I'm intrigued by the SR80X.

Can it easily handle faster, chaotic music like Death and Black Metal?

Are there much more treble than something like AKG K702 and Hifiman Sundara?

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #56,127 of 65,624
I've never tried Grado headphones, I'm looking for something specific enough for Hard Rock and Metal and I'm intrigued by the SR80X.

Try DT1770 instead

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:51 PM Post #56,128 of 65,624

If you have the budget SR325X is the hard rock champ of the X series

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:31 PM Post #56,129 of 65,624
The SR80x is definitely a fun headphone though. I had it for a while and compared to the SR125x, it was a more energetic and lively. The S pads that both come with though seem to de-emphasise bass and vice versa for treble, which surprised me as I always believed that as you worked your way down the pads (G > L > F > S) that bass would always increase. This is a long winded way of saying that, from experience, sticking a pair of F pads or these Geekria ones will beef things up, to rock’s benefit.

Aug 28, 2022 at 3:34 PM Post #56,130 of 65,624
Came back here to make justice to my SR80x. I'm blown away of how much they improve recently. I bought it one month ago and couldn’t listening for more than one hour without getting pretty displeased. Too thin, neutral, normal, without all the excitement that I found in the SR80e model. Could’nt understand how they were so different. And then last week my SR80x decided to show it’s capabilities. Wow! Feels like everything that I love about the SR80e just came in a better way - didn’t missing the old model at all. That energy and liveliness with more transparency, resolution, everything so opens and without any fatiguing aspect that could come with it showing so much. What a razor's edge signature. It’s ridiculous how good this sounds for it’s price. Currently it became my favorite Grado, despite having the SR325x, which is amazing but I get tired of it more easily because of its thicker sound and less confortable to wear for long time. The SR80x I could hear and wear for long hours with no problem at all. It became pretty obvious to me that the Grado’s headphones really take some time to fully break in, at least 100 hours I should say. Can’t believe I’m this happy again listening to music. Got back my Grado mojo working! :dt880smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back