Grado Fan Club!
Aug 19, 2022 at 2:32 PM Post #55,786 of 66,208
I just realize that RS are on ears, I’m not so fond of. Also I believed that GS have better soundstage than HE6se, HE6se have very good imaging but not the widest soundstage.
I have g cushion on my RS1e LOL, improved comfort and less sound "on your face"

Aug 19, 2022 at 2:41 PM Post #55,787 of 66,208
Absolutely love these hemps. I’m sat on my balcony west wales watching the sun set while using them with my N6ii r01. I’m definitely buying more grados, not sure which though

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:39 PM Post #55,788 of 66,208
All that for less than $180 ! What a bargain 👍, in regards to age my apologies 🤣.
Once you hit 50 plus in the UK you start getting leaflets on save for your funeral etc 🤣 Single end or balanced high end equipment or basic, it's all about the enjoyment of the music at the end of the day, something we all loose sight of at times 👍.
70+ and still going strong. When I use SineGen.exe I can't hear above 10,500 Hz. I damaged my ears when younger and even gave myself permanent Tinnitus doing a DIY tweeter experiment.

However, my Grado SR325is modified with a "silver" balanced cable from Meze compensates nicely and top end is still crisp and enjoyable.
It will be a sad day when my hearing drops off more.

Aug 19, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #55,789 of 66,208
How would you compare Hemp vs HE6se (which I have) ?
Thx
They are Really different headphones. My Hemps are pretty new to me.
The HE6se V2's are Awesome, with the right amp. And my amp adds bass boost and 3D sound effects. I can listen to them for weeks. To me, the treble, mids and bass all sound great. And the sound is very open and balanced while offering great thump, when called upon. But it is Very amp dependant.

To me, the Hemps are another flavour of Grado. Great mids, good treble and the bass ranges from good to enough. I am a little underwhelmed as I own the GH2's. I don't find the Hemps do anything better than the GH2's nor anything wildly different than the GH2's.

To give context to my comments, my favourite headphones are the HE6se V2's, Grado GH2's and Focal Elex's.

The Hemps are a great value, and being a Grado the mids and above are awesome. But in my opinion, they cannot come close to the HE6se V2. Of course the HE6's are VERY amp dependant. Not just about power, but for the sound.

Of course opinions vary... :smile:

Aug 19, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #55,790 of 66,208
As a self-admitting "mid-maniac" - I find the Hemps to be just wonderful - especially when tubed :musical_note::notes::musical_note:

For a little more resolution one can jump up to the RS1x - a much more exacting headphone - but also less forgiving if the track is not well recorded

IMG_0933.jpeg

Aug 19, 2022 at 8:35 PM Post #55,793 of 66,208
All that for less than $180 ! What a bargain 👍, in regards to age my apologies 🤣.
Once you hit 50 plus in the UK you start getting leaflets on save for your funeral etc 🤣 Single end or balanced high end equipment or basic, it's all about the enjoyment of the music at the end of the day, something we all loose sight of at times 👍.
I started to get save for my funeral letters in States when I hit 40 this year haha

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:19 PM Post #55,794 of 66,208
I personally thought the all maple headphones were among their very best looking models. I also really love the mahogany models.. they look even better in person I bet the all maple ones look gorgeous.
Probably so, in pictures they look quite basic. Just maple, that's what I make syrup out of every year lol, not a very exotic wood.

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:38 PM Post #55,795 of 66,208
As a self-admitting "mid-maniac" - I find the Hemps to be just wonderful - especially when tubed :musical_note::notes::musical_note:

For a little more resolution one can jump up to the RS1x - a much more exacting headphone - but also less forgiving if the track is not well recorded

Probably so, in pictures they look quite basic. Just maple, that's what I make syrup out of every year lol, not a very exotic wood.
I love the look of maple.. some think it looks cheap.. I disagree.

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:41 PM Post #55,796 of 66,208
…but in actuality rather than in pictures…🤩

Aug 19, 2022 at 9:54 PM Post #55,797 of 66,208
70+ and still going strong.
I bow in respect.
It feels like a century ago, I was 19, 198 lbs and 3-4 days a week in the gym, nearly every morning 40 minutes running (I said long ago…) , when my grandpa beat me in arm wrestling. In less than a minute.
He was 78.

However, my Grado SR325is modified with a "silver" balanced cable from Meze compensates nicely and top end is still crisp and enjoyable.
It will be a sad day when my hearing drops off more.
Might not happen.
When the otologists defined the human hearing from 20 - 20 kHz they were half polite, half optimistic.
45 - 15.6 kHz is more realistic. Human ‘conversation‘ happens between 200 and 4.6 kHz (whistling).
No one speaks at 3 kHz. Musik 40 - 9.5 kHz. There of course is music and are instruments where higher and lower frequencies are possiple, but for example, where have you heard the 5 leftmost keys on a piano played? The piano frequencies are 27.5 - 4.186 kHz. And nearly no one can sing at a 5 kHz frequency.
No, the Bee Gees can’t. Even Freddy Mercury not. Ok, Maria Carey can go slightly above 5 kHz.
But there aren’t words, just constant sounds or vibrato. And of course there is Georgia Brown who did a G10 (‘seven-lined g’, 25.086 kHz) live, which could be measured but not heard.
I always need to grin, when people lament about a headphones bad performance at 4 Hz.
In movie theaters they used 16 Hz woofer frequencies to create an unsafe feeling in crime/horror movies. You really can‘t hear it, but it makes your stomach feel …odd.
Starting from 27 we loose hearing cells. Don’t panic guys - this just raises the hearing treshold. We’re talking about 10-12 dB until 60. So People need to whisper a little louder. No more 25 dB from a meter away but 35 dB. Normal hearing is defined as understanding a word correctly at 50 dB by WHO.
In Germany 16% of the adults are hearing impaired. Fun fact: 16% of the adult germans answered the question for their favorite music with ‚metal‘. (Ignore that strange statistic. 34 said rock, 28 pop, 11 RNB/soul/hip hop, 2 ‚Schlager‘ (you don‘t want to know what this is, believe me), nearly the rest said ,independent‘, but no one said classic, blues or jazz?!)
If you ever have heard higher frequencies than 15 kHz, they are typically gone when you have reached 35.
And there is a loss of high frequencies typically starting between 50 and 60. It’s about the frequencies between 15 kHz and 10.5 kHz. This is normally finished at 75.
So this is for normal people.
First, ymmv. It will!
Second, average, normal or typical doesn’t mean… us.
Third, we are Grado people. We are listening to sophisticated music using the most refined tools.
Our ears are safe!

Aug 19, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #55,798 of 66,208
First, ymmv. It will!
Second, average, normal or typical doesn’t mean… us.
Third, we are Grado people. We are listening to sophisticated music using the most refined tools.
Our ears are safe!
“Q: Are we not men? A: We are Devo Grado!”

Aug 20, 2022 at 3:49 AM Post #55,799 of 66,208
I put my GS3000e up for sale. If anyone is interested in Europe. The Raal system (costing much-much more) betters it in some ways for the music I enjoyed the GS3000e. The RS1x (and the HEMP) stays!

Aug 20, 2022 at 7:47 AM Post #55,800 of 66,208
I put my GS3000e up for sale. If anyone is interested in Europe. The Raal system (costing much-much more) betters it in some ways for the music I enjoyed the GS3000e. The RS1x (and the HEMP) stays!
It's these sort of posts I really don't want to see ... Somebody please buy it quick 😂

Users who are viewing this thread

Back