Grado Fan Club!
Jun 29, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #54,301 of 66,273
Just one little detail I recognized with the White Headphone:
With the PS2000e and GS3000e Grado changed the cover of their 50mm drivers.
I mean this metal plate with holes which point to the ear.
As far as I know all Grado drivers have same number and layout of holes here since a long time (for 44mm drivers as well as 50mm drivers), but the PS2000e and GS3000e are different, they have more holes and different layout.
The White Headphone has same number of holes and layout as PS2000e and GS3000e.
Not sure if that does mean anything, I just recognized it.
The 50mm driver in new RS1x seam to have the "old" layout again, from whatever reason.

Yeah but the driver is newer and each is still tuned uniquely for the materials they're made of. I'd say I trust Grado to get it right for the most part. Just want to make sure it's worth the upgrade.

I have both and can say that the RS1x's are better in almost all regards. Incrementally! That being said, on a scale of 1-10, depending on what I'm listening for, the improvements could be anywhere from 1-3 over the hemps. This is based on my 67 year old ears... YMMV. Not a huge difference at all. It's up to you whether incremental improvement's are worth the money.

Thanks for the perspective. It's much appreciated. It's crazy how good the Hemps are for their price.

Jun 29, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #54,302 of 66,273
First night listening to the V9 build. Pairing with a custom 8 braid Oyaide silver cable with XLR balanced termination. Original Grado L cush foams sound the best. Not touching my ears as others have mentioned, quite comfortable for me. Very dependent on where and how you position the drivers, but when you hit the sweet spot it's a treat!

Gear: Soekris 2541 DAC + McIntosh MH200

Albums:
Radiohead Kid A, Ray Lamontagne Til the Sun Turns Black

Impressions: Speechless... It's way beyond my expectations. Massive soundstage, great bass, natural timbre, not a Grado signature at all. I would not be able to say it's like a PS1000 or anything because it's so different to any of them. I would say the V9 is stellar on its own right. Very early days so needs some burning, however loving it so far.

Will spend some time comparing it to my 20+yr old SR80 rebuild this weekend.

InShot_20220629_232738137.jpg

Jun 29, 2022 at 2:33 PM Post #54,303 of 66,273
What sould I buy? a Grado with 50mm driver? (ps1000e, 980euro)
Klipsch HP-3. demo, 850 euro?
DT1990 demo 360euro?
T1 G3 demo 750euro?
I took the T1 😜

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #54,309 of 66,273
Hemp v. RS1x
To me, Hemp sound is fun, jaunty, rhythmic and true to the music spirit. Hemp is warm, notably in the bass/midbass. This is not overdone, it is quite pleasing. Hemp reminds me of the ZMF Atticus in this respect. The Hemp midrange, treble, and soundstage are clear, have dimensionality, maybe lack that ‘nth’ bit of detail.
• RS1x is rhythmic and true with rather greater atmosphere, detail, spatiality. RS1x has deeper, slightly leaner bass/midbass and cannot be deemed anemic in this regard. RS1x overall reminds me of the ZMF Auteur.
• I own both Hemp and RS1x. Why? To me, they are complementary: similar but not to be confused with the other. I prefer Hemp over RS1x on various recordings (CDs); on other recordings (CDs), RS1x over Hemp. I do not use ‘electronic’ EQ; headphones are my EQ (and ‘room correction’).

RS1x v. GS3000e
• See post #50,136 on page 3343 of this thread.
+1 and just to add: To my ears the GH2 is in between RS1x and Hemp, I have all three:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::scream:

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:14 PM Post #54,310 of 66,273
+1 and just to add: To my ears the GH2 is in between RS1x and Hemp, I have all three:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::scream:

So you would say the RS1x is your favorite of those three?

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #54,311 of 66,273
So you would say the RS1x is your favorite of those three?
No (not always), but as Jonathan writes, it is the one with best detail and clean bass: very nice with acoustics and jazz. Right now, I am listening to the new album with Porcupine Tree and - as of right now - I prefer the hemps (haven't tried GH2). In other words, the some times subtle differences with different genres (or moods or pads) makes it difficult to pick just one....sorry, I know this is not of much help...and very very subjective (to make it worse, I also have the GS2000e, that I use occasionally with classical or jazz).:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Jun 29, 2022 at 3:29 PM Post #54,312 of 66,273
No (not always), but as Jonathan writes, it is the one with best detail and clean bass: very nice with acoustics and jazz. Right now, I am listening to the new album with Porcupine Tree and - as of right now - I prefer the hemps (haven't tried GH2). In other words, the some times subtle differences with different genres (or moods or pads) makes it difficult to pick just one....sorry, I know this is not of much help...and very very subjective (to make it worse, I also have the GS2000e, that I use occasionally with classical or jazz).:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
Feel the same about most of mine, like them all for different reasons.

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #54,315 of 66,273

Totally fair. The Hemps may be my daily driver go to, but I don't use them all the time. My HD600's are better for movies/tv shows and gaming. And sometimes I prefer my HE500 because planars are just fun. But I don't really listen to much jazz, classical, or mainstream stuff like pop, rap, country, etc. So I try to make sure any new headphones I buy are good for the music I listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back