Grado Fan Club!
Feb 17, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #51,123 of 65,639
O my god I thought you could got it at a much lower price.
Tax is low here, but the local sellers keep the price so high......
It is incl 25% tax
I was told a concept that I should use a neutral dac with adding any style, and leave the style thing to amps.
Is it true? What do you think?
Today I found a lot information different to what I used to think.
Very helpful :smile:
Think a Topping dac with clean/Neutral signal in to a little dot will work great.
But a clean Topping dac and a clean Topping amp can be to much with Grado

Feb 17, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #51,126 of 65,639
No doubt. I'd take a real hard look at what DAC features (balanced, line out, PEQ, etc) are desired and pair it with a reasonable amp. In the dark ages, way back in mid-aughts, I ran my HF1 off of anything and I still do. I have to be more mindful of what I hook my planars up to.
Never tried it self, but think this can be a good match with Grado

https://earmen.com/index.php/products/earmen-eagle

Feb 17, 2022 at 12:40 PM Post #51,127 of 65,639
I am from China and a Grado fan.

For many DAC/Amp were made in North Am and Eu, maybe you guys would have tried more choices.

I have rs1i, ps 500,Ps500e,Gh1,Gh2,do you have any recommendations for these.

I thought maybe it would be impossible to go along well with all these. The rs1i,ps500e and gh1 are my main force. And there are just a little room on my desk for the device, so plz DAC/AMP Combo device.

my thoughts are as follows, will these be a good choice?

1.hugo 2

2 Moon 230HAD

3 QUAD PA-ONE+

4 audiobyte black dragon(but it‘s no longer selling in China)
5.or other advices?

Not a native English speaker.if I write sth impolite, I don't mean it

Thanks
I am currently using the Schiit Asgard 3 and Modius - sounds great with my Grado SR325X.

Personally, if I was going to start over again I would buy a Schiit Lyr 3 with the new ESS card.

Feb 17, 2022 at 1:02 PM Post #51,129 of 65,639
I am currently using the Schiit Asgard 3 and Modius - sounds great with my Grado SR325X.

Personally, if I was going to start over again I would buy a Schiit Lyr 3 with the new ESS card.
Maybe I should go for a Asgard too. Is really all i need.

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:26 PM Post #51,130 of 65,639
The Hemp and the 325x cluster together closer than the RS1x and RS2x to my ears. I own all four...got the RS2X last as I assumed it would be very close to the Hemp. Whether it's truly a different driver or more tweaks in tuning/placement/cups.....to my ears both of the RS lines have clear upgrades on 'technicalities' over the Hemp/325x.

RS1x- This is like Grado's take on the HD800s. That's not said in jest either....the technical level of the RS1 is outstanding in terms of resolution, speed, imagining, stage. Not quite the width/depth on the HD800/s...very little is....but man it's something in action. This is...raw impact for me...the most "special" of the four listed here. That said, also like the HD800/s, it's boom or bust depending on what you are listening to. I would not pick this up as a sure-fire daily driver if your jam is bass-heavy/EDM/rap/rock. It depends on how the tracks were mastered (I do enjoy some metal/EDM with these cans)....a lot of bass-heavy or mid-muddled mixes just leaves peaky treble with thin, fizzy mid/bass underneath. Classical/Jazz/Ambient/etc. is the 'safer' route. But when these hit appropriate mixes....holy smokes. Punches way, way above its price tag. Fast as heck, crazy good imaging/separation, great tonality with the wood cups....

RS2x - Where the RS1x aims for the moon and accepts that some mixes will fall to the earth, the RS2x applies 85% of the magic across a less boom/bust tuning. Some of the air/treble energy is dialed back, bass and lower mids come up (not bass/lower heavy overall, but more thump than the RS1x). The technicalities are slightly dialed back....but still strong overall. Very strong when you consider the $550 price-point. This is likely the 'safer' pick...and a very impressive set of cans period....for the average listener. That said....if the HD800/s is your jam and you have tube amps that can work with higher sensitivity phones sans too much noise......buy the RS1x and don't look back.

Hemp/325x - I think these are both very enjoyable headphones well worth their price points. The Hemp is not a slight tweak from the RS2x IMO....it's got good speed, good imagining....notably below the level of the RS's but fair to it's price-point. Bass (at least rumble/impact) is the heaviest of the four sets here. For me both the 325x and Hemp present engaging, colored sounds that are mix-forgiving (more than either the RS's)....325x is a bit more upfront sounding with quicker decays/tonality from the metal cups. Hemp is a slower decay/thicker sound with the wood cups.

Short-short, the RS's...to my ears...really can do some surprisingly (emotional) engaging + technical feats that punch way above their sticker price. Hemp/325x...play things a bit more 'straight' (relative to the Grado world :) ) and lean on a some fun cup-colorization, accessible (and forgiving) tuning, with price appropriate technicals.
Very well stated, good job. I also have all four and pretty much agree with all your comparisons and statements. I intend to lend a friend all four for a few days. He needs an open back and I am curious on his take.

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:27 PM Post #51,131 of 65,639
I thought Schiit Lyr 3 before.
Then I know nearly twice of the price to get it including tax and freight fare......:sob:
Understood - getting Schiit to Canada is expensive with taxes and exchange too - $699 US ends up being $1100-$1200 CDN by the time it arrives at my door...

Buying a product from within China makes sense.

Last edited:
Feb 17, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #51,132 of 65,639
Very well stated, good job. I also have all four and pretty much agree with all your comparisons and statements. I intend to lend a friend all four for a few days. He needs an open back and I am curious on his take.
Good to know, it will be interesting to find out what your friend thinks. Please share the music you utilize as well.

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:05 PM Post #51,133 of 65,639
Haha. So it is a tie between RS1x and RS2x... Gotta love this hobby! :laughing:
hahaha
makes one head spin

Look at the RS1x and RS2x measurements. Technically, the RS1x goes a little further, but in terms of FR balance and neutraliy, RS2x wins. Im a neutral freak and so RS2x would be my only choice.

I cant imagine being happy with the RS1x which does less bass then RS2x. RS2x, just like HD800 imo, needs bass boost to sound balanced

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:07 PM Post #51,134 of 65,639
Understood - getting Schiit to Canada is expensive with taxes and exchange too - $699 US ends up being $1100-$1200 CDN by the time it arrives at my door...

Buying a product from within China makes send
I have to adress this. iFi amps are MADE to go with Grado

Many Grado cans NEED bass boost to sound balanced. As much as I like Schiit, I dont see them as being superior in any way in terms of SQ to iFi offerings at their respective price point.

so really, get a ifi amps over schiit with your grado if buying schiit is inconvenient due to import taxes

Feb 17, 2022 at 4:15 PM Post #51,135 of 65,639
I have to adress this. iFi amps are MADE to go with Grado

Many Grado cans NEED bass boost to sound balanced. As much as I like Schiit, I dont see them as being superior in any way in terms of SQ to iFi offerings at their respective price point.

so really, get a ifi amps over schiit with your grado if buying schiit is inconvenient due to import taxes
Your suggestion is a good one if you only intend to use Grado... but if you want to use planars, or high impedance headphones the extra power of an Asgard or Lyr will benefit the use of a wide variety of headphones from different manufacturers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back