Grado Fan Club!
Nov 14, 2021 at 2:05 AM Post #49,488 of 65,647
It’s definitely still light. I could wear it for hours without being fatigued from the weight. As far as padding, I don’t think it’s anymore than the GH4 (not that I notice anyways).
Maybe a bit more than the hemp? Maybe you’re not sure, I’ve never seen gh4’s. I’m going to be paying close attention to this group in the next few weeks to make sure the rs1x would indeed be a good companion up alongside the hemp.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 3:12 AM Post #49,489 of 65,647
I’ve found an RS2 original (non -i, -e or -x) for 200$ and I think it would worth it in any case, right? Is there anything I need to check? The headphones look still in mint condition although the seller said he had bought them in 2008.

ps: right now i’m using SR225 original

Nov 14, 2021 at 4:44 AM Post #49,491 of 65,647
I messaged Grado. They say the statement series X models are coming some time next year but weren't any more specific than that. I presume same for professional series.

Note that the PS2000e and GS3000e were introduced late into the e-series lifespan so they may hold off on those for a while. Grado seems to be aware of the Osborne Effect.

Wondering if the rs1x remains light as always and if it uses more padding in the stitched headband..

Cocobolo is denser than mahogany and weighs 20-25% more. I felt it going from the GS2000e (270g) to the GS3000e (330g). The GS3000e is near the upper limit I'll tolerate for all-day use and that's why I won't touch the metal models. The RS1x will definitely weigh more than the RS1e, but it may feel negligible because the amount of cocobolo used isn't too much.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 6:18 AM Post #49,492 of 65,647
Note that the PS2000e and GS3000e were introduced late into the e-series lifespan so they may hold off on those for a while. Grado seems to be aware of the Osborne Effect.

Cocobolo is denser than mahogany and weighs 20-25% more. I felt it going from the GS2000e (270g) to the GS3000e (330g). The GS3000e is near the upper limit I'll tolerate for all-day use and that's why I won't touch the metal models. The RS1x will definitely weigh more than the RS1e, but it may feel negligible because the amount of cocobolo used isn't too much.
Yeah the ps500e is very heavy for an on ear. Wish I knew how to do the dish soap water rinse method on the pads when I had them. Ears were very sore many nights.

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:51 AM Post #49,493 of 65,647
One thing I have thought about "e" and "x" reference series the dampening of the cup and driver. ... I believe this makes the "e" and "x" reference series more clear and clean but at the same time, takes away from the reverb/resonance that music needs to some degree to sound airy, open and live.

Interesting train of thought, but rasmushorn preferred the SR225e over SR225x and he said the x lacked the edge of the e. I don't believe the plastic models are damped, unless they started doing it with the x series.

Nov 14, 2021 at 10:11 AM Post #49,494 of 65,647
Interesting train of thought, but rasmushorn preferred the SR225e over SR225x and he said the x lacked the edge of the e. I don't believe the plastic models are damped, unless they started doing it with the x series.
I think it's more with the "wooden cups". I have the sr80e and they don't sound dampened like the rs2e. In many ways the 80e (with L-Cush) sound like an unrefined version of the rs1i which is why I like them.

Those of you who have modded their fostex t50rp, know what I'm talking about.
It was all about the right amount of modeling clay (plasticine), sorbathane foam, and dynamat to dampen and control the cup resonance and control the driver and tighten the bass and the right amount of teased cotton balls to give it treble and air.

Anyway I believe rasmushorn concluded he liked the sr225e over the sr225x because of the sr225e had greater upper mid and treble. I think consistently the "x" series diminished the upper mid and treble making them sound warmer and less forward.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 10:55 AM Post #49,495 of 65,647
Wow, I am overwhelmed! This is my first post on Head-Fi so I thought I'd say 'Hello' to the fellow Grado fans.

Recently I bought a GS-1000e which is everything BUT what I expected it to be! It certainly has a 'sound' to it.

Contrary to what I've read though, this headphone is not particularly easy to drive. Sure, you'll get the volume out of a smartphone but you won't get the sound. I made a mistake by connecting it to the phone as the bass started to behave like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Sometimes it would be subdued and sometimes it would jump ahead of the rest. Clearly, the diaphragms need a bit of current to be controlled with authority. Also surprisingly, there is no sibilance and even the 'F' sounds lovely. Speech intelligibility is exceptional which tells me the transducers are technically capable.

I am looking forward to setting up the 'music room' next year so that I can connect it to the HI-FI system.

I must also mention that I love the style and the smell of this headphone. It looks and smells exotic and out of all the headphones that I have, people who have seen it have immediately noticed it and said 'well, that must be expensive'. It's a lot prettier in reality than it is in the photos.

Cheers!

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:04 AM Post #49,496 of 65,647
Wow, I am overwhelmed! This is my first post on Head-Fi so I thought I'd say 'Hello' to the fellow Grado fans.

Recently I bought a GS-1000e which is everything BUT what I expected it to be! It certainly has a 'sound' to it.

Contrary to what I've read though, this headphone is not particularly easy to drive. Sure, you'll get the volume out of a smartphone but you won't get the sound. I made a mistake by connecting it to the phone as the bass started to behave like Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. Sometimes it would be subdued and sometimes it would jump ahead of the rest. Clearly, the diaphragms need a bit of current to be controlled with authority. Also surprisingly, there is no sibilance and even the 'F' sounds lovely. Speech intelligibility is exceptional which tells me the transducers are technically capable.

I am looking forward to setting up the 'music room' next year so that I can connect it to the HI-FI system.

I must also mention that I love the style and the smell of this headphone. It looks and smells exotic and out of all the headphones that I have, people who have seen it have immediately noticed it and said 'well, that must be expensive'. It's a lot prettier in reality than it is in the photos.

Cheers!
Welcome :wink:
All Grados need a good amp/dac.
Sounds much better than a phone or tablet

Nov 14, 2021 at 11:26 AM Post #49,497 of 65,647
Welcome :wink:
All Grados need a good amp/dac.
Sounds much better than a phone or tablet

Thank you!

Yes! Clearly, like with speakers, headphones with bigger diaphragms will need a bit more current to sound good.

I was listening to the SR-60i for many months before I connected it to the system. When I did, I was really shocked to hear a dramatic improvement in every area! It's a conundrum when you think about it because the reasonable thing to do would be to use a cheaper headphone (though I doubt even the SR-60 could be considered cheap for many people here) with a phone or something cheap. Some headphones are too cheap for their own good it seems.

Cheers!

Nov 14, 2021 at 5:16 PM Post #49,498 of 65,647
Hello people, can you help me identify if these are genuine? My Grado knowledge isn’t that deep, i’m still on SR level and have the original SR225 and recently bought RA-1 amp. The seller asks 295 $CAD

s-l640.webp
s-l640.webp
s-l640.webp

Oh, this morning I went to see this Grado I mentioned a few days ago. At the end, I bought them for 200$ (260 CAD) but these photos weren’t belong to the one I bought. Don’t think so but did I buy RS2i maybe? What’s this one?

Attachments

• 3BB64F71-4E0E-422B-86B0-04739EA1BE1C.jpeg
    3BB64F71-4E0E-422B-86B0-04739EA1BE1C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 14, 2021 at 6:58 PM Post #49,499 of 65,647
The first set of pics is the RS2i. None of the i-series headphones had the i moniker in their lettering, which is the cause of confusion. That only started with the e-series. The one with a button is a vintage RS2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back