Grado Fan Club!
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #48,781 of 65,607
Here are my Grado SR 325X > Impressions.

Right out of the box.
I've listened to Dub, Rock, Country, Ambient, Jazz, Jazz Vocal, Bluegrass, and Classical.

First things first......
Excellent post, and I think you nailed the Grado sound transition in the SR line since the 'E' series was launched. I had a 325i many years ago, and even for me (I love the Etymotic BA "house sound"), it had spikey treble that was hard to tame down. I retried the 325E about 2-3 years ago and was super-impressed with the smoother and yet still alive sound. I kept them for several months and loved them, until I got hold of a used GH2 cocobolo, then RS2e, then PS500e!!

I've not tried the Hemp, nor any of the new X series, but am assuming they will sound closer to my PS500e, with a fuller sound in the 500hz and below region.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:04 PM Post #48,782 of 65,607
Sep 27, 2021 at 2:26 PM Post #48,783 of 65,607
Different color on pictures.

The comparison wasn't the cup, but the button. That other SR325x button is suspicious and I've never seen it in that font. As Grado does their own tooling and produces their own plastic parts as shown in the factory tour, there is little logical reason to have an SR325x button that's different than the others.

Sep 27, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #48,784 of 65,607
The comparison wasn't the cup, but the button. That other SR325x button is suspicious and I've never seen it in that font. As Grado does their own tooling and produces their own plastic parts as shown in the factory tour, there is little logical reason to have an SR325x button that's different than the others.
Ahhh. Button

Sep 27, 2021 at 6:57 PM Post #48,786 of 65,607
Nah. Don‘t think it‘s a fake one. Seems that lifting the dumbbell tied to the lever of the ’Hot Stamping Machine‘ got a little hard after lettering a few hundred buttons.
The ‘S‘ and ‘R‘ appear silvered a little thin, but in the correct font, so we‘re talking about the numbers, right?
436863DA-D809-4232-942A-E175E3AB13CA.jpeg

Looking at the red marked areas, the 3 and 5 have a little shortened middle/upper line, the 2 is missing a part of it‘s lower bow‘s width.
If you look at the ‘X‘ (blue marked. Fascinating, that it‘s now a capital letter original by Grado, ‘stead of the old lower case ‘e‘), you see that it is pretty thin also.
I guess it‘s conspicuous appearance to Gippy‘s reliable sniper’s eye is pure prove of hand-craftsmanship.
No irony meant in ‘sniper‘. I wouldn‘t have seen it on first look. The ‘Hot Stamping Machine‘ is a thermal transfer metal foil press next to the desk where they glue the fabric on the diffusers.
It‘s manually driven. They do all the lettering with that thing. Buttons, caps, cartridges for the prestige series, rodblocks for all on- and over- ear phones.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2021 at 7:41 PM Post #48,787 of 65,607
Just got my 325x in the mail today. They are great. They might be my favorite pair I’ve owned. 325e and RS1i used to be my favorite but I think these have taken the top. I’ve owned 80e, 325e, GH2, RS1i, GS1000i, 325is, and PS1000E. These seem to be my favorite out of all of those so far. If you have any reservations you should just get them. Also, if the hemps are better then they must be very close because these can’t get much better than they are.

Sep 28, 2021 at 10:48 AM Post #48,789 of 65,607
Have most of the X so far been an upgrade over the E? I'm torn whether to get a RS2E while I can still find one or wait for the RS2X?

Personally I would wait for the new RS2X. It's been almost 1 year since I got the Hemp and I'm still enjoying them a lot, but I'm also curious to hear the new RS1X/RS2X.

Sep 28, 2021 at 11:55 AM Post #48,790 of 65,607
Have most of the X so far been an upgrade over the E? I'm torn whether to get a RS2E while I can still find one or wait for the RS2X?
I imagine it would depend: if you prefer the warmer/darker and thicker sound of the X series or the brighter and more open sound of the E series.
Also, you might also have to wait until Nov. or Dec, or even possibly Jan. 2022 for them release the X series in the Reference models.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:31 PM Post #48,791 of 65,607
Yes!
Another one with a GH3.
Dear ESL-1, what is your impression of this pre-series SR325x on the left?
Does it sound like the regular SR325xes?
And more interesting, which one of the G-family handed it to you?
Also interesting, that the GS3ke (right upper) has a light brown headband. But it seems original.
I am always fascinated about the color difference of the cocobolo ones. The GH2 and GS3ke differ… slightly. 🤔
Truthfully the SR325 series was never one of my favorites even though several good buddies loved their’s. When I first heard the 325x it was a whole different story and I basically liked what I heard right out of the box but it evolved very nicely as I accumulated play time on it. My ears hear a better and more natural balance on the 325x and the bass was more impactful with good detail. It is definitely a keeper for me. I certainly feel that it is a great value as is often the case with Grados. The light toned phone is not a GS3000e even though that is the imprint. A bit of an experiment actually. My GS3000e is the standard dark wood with black leather head band. The 3000e is one of my top three favorite Grados along with a PS2000e and a Joseph Grado Signature HP1000/HP2.

Having a great time with all.

Best regards

Attachments

• FF727A15-F6D5-4625-8F00-5147E72A257F.jpeg
    FF727A15-F6D5-4625-8F00-5147E72A257F.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Sep 28, 2021 at 12:37 PM Post #48,792 of 65,607
I imagine it would depend: if you prefer the warmer/darker and thicker sound of the X series or the brighter and more open sound of the E series.
Also, you might also have to wait until Nov. or Dec, or even possibly Jan. 2022 for them release the X series in the Reference models.
At this point there are no official announcements from Grado in regard to moving further up the line with x series versions above the 325x.

It would seem to be a logical progression but not any sort of certainty at the moment

Here’s hoping.

Sep 28, 2021 at 12:52 PM Post #48,794 of 65,607
Sep 28, 2021 at 7:13 PM Post #48,795 of 65,607
I'd choose 60X over 125X due to extra brightness of 125X. Other people may choose the opposite.

Everybody is different, of course. I love the SR125x because it is supposed to be among the brightest of the Prestige x series. I do not find it terribly bright, and perhaps a bit warmer than the old SR125e (which I also do have lying about somewhere, but haven't compared to my newer SR125x.) I find the treble quite OK, and they only appear mostly bright because of their heightened upper mids character. I use stock "comfies" pads for both models.

Eons ago I had an SR60, then an SR80i... I really cannot remember, but I think those were my other two Grado headphones, in addition to my SR125e and SR125x.

I did make a personal comparison of SR60e/SR80e/SR125e back when I was considering them, and the 125e was much better than the others in terms of treble extension. Whatever graphs may say, they did not sound the same. This x appears to have more differences between models according to what others state, but they are not clearly specified anywhere, so I wish somebody made such a comparison already. Because I do love treble and "bright" headphones, I am glad to have chosen yet another SR125 model (SR125x)-I have not tried any other x model so far.

Glad it worked out fine, as I was afraid they were attempting to "warm them up" to fit modern, "refined audiophile taste." SR125x still sounds much like my previous Grados, but with a warmer, fuller low end that still cannot be classified as "bassy". I am glad to have them, and they will always be part of my modest collection.

(I do have more "accurate" headphones, but always enjoy listening to Grado's supposedly "cheap" or "bad" Prestige line. I cannot imagine getting rid of them to feel part of a pseudo-"higher echelon" of audiophiles. Let people listen to and love whatever they wish.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back