Grado Fan Club!
May 27, 2021 at 11:53 AM Post #47,536 of 65,687
Yes, and don´t forget the BeatufulAudio Pads , with the different foam options they adapt to the sound of each model without problems. My GH2 with the merino pads and light foam sounds amazing, Music matters!
Be safe!
C.K.
Yes! BA pads are amazing with the Hemp. I can't understand why people like the Geekria Zeos and DMS used on their reviews.

And personally, I think the Beautiful Audio Pads look amazing on the Hemp:

20210527_093704_HDR.jpg

May 27, 2021 at 12:26 PM Post #47,537 of 65,687
Yes! BA pads are amazing with the Hemp. I can't understand why people like the Geekria Zeos and DMS used on their reviews.

20210527_093704_HDR.jpg
I can answer that. The Geekria G-cush pads are cheap, plain and simple. Also they don't sound BAD necessarily.

While I much prefer the Geekria LL and Earzonk L pads, they are not over ear style which is what many people are looking for when they pad swap Grados.

May 27, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #47,538 of 65,687

Because Geekria pads are $10-$20 with "free" shipping, while BA pads are up to $200 after shipping and brokerage: DHL nailed me for about $50 when I bought them. I thought the Geekria G pad came close to the BA large pad I had, minus the comfort. For the price of the BA pads, you can buy a SR225x, or a huge assortment of various $10-$20 foam pads to try out, other than the official Grado G pad, which is $55.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #47,540 of 65,687
That is a happy Grado-Phone-Fam-Photo
Cheers Bro , I know I said I'll never buy another one , but the RS1x ??? would tempt me .
I've also never heard the PS series and by the reviews of the experts here in this thread I'm sure I would love the sound sig. of the 500e as I love the warmer RS1e.
But I've got to be wise , so I'm holding back my trigger finger until I see what transpires with the X series.

May 27, 2021 at 1:58 PM Post #47,541 of 65,687
It sounds like the SR325x is moving away from its original edgy, metallic and punchy sound into a more mellow softer hemp-like sound? Is that really true? Then they are no longer what I am looking for. Hopefully the 225x will stay on the brighter side of the road. I am also looking forward to someone sharing their impression of 225x.
You nailed it here my friend , it is the metallic colouring / voice of the 325e that makes it special in my eyes , totally different overall voice than the plastics or woodies.

May 27, 2021 at 2:02 PM Post #47,542 of 65,687
You nailed it here my friend , it is the metallic colouring / voice of the 325e that makes it special in my eyes , totally different overall voice than the plastics or woodies.
Agree, it has its special place, like a transition from plastic to metal, and PS500e is the transition from metal to wood. Whilst I wasn’t the biggest fan of the 325e, it’s still sad to hear it loses its uniqueness

May 27, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #47,543 of 65,687
I can answer that. The Geekria G-cush pads are cheap, plain and simple. Also they don't sound BAD necessarily.

While I much prefer the Geekria LL and Earzonk L pads, they are not over ear style which is what many people are looking for when they pad swap Grados.
Of course I'm not saying everyone should buy the BA pads, especially people that are buying their first Grado.

There are other cheaper OEM pads on Aliexpress and also Geekria ones that don't sound as dark as don't have the mid bass bump.

May 27, 2021 at 2:13 PM Post #47,544 of 65,687
Hello, SR225x here! I try to write my impressions.

With the new drivers, the sound is more balanced: the high frequencies are crystal clear, as always, but without sharpness, and the bass ones are a little more prominent. The F cushions emphasize these aspects, especially if worn very adherent to the ears. Personally, I've preferred to widen the headband a little: distancing the earpieces from the ears, both the sound and the soundstage result more airy, open and, in my opinion, more balanced and natural. And very detailed, as usual!

In comparison to SR225E, I find the new model more realistic, but equally analytical. And it's also more efficient: at the same volume, it sounds noticeably louder. I also tried to exchange pads: in my opinion, even with L-cush pads the new model remains more linear.

In a word, I like SR225X very much!

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 2:14 PM Post #47,545 of 65,687
Agree, it has its special place, like a transition from plastic to metal, and PS500e is the transition from metal to wood. Whilst I wasn’t the biggest fan of the 325e, it’s still sad to hear it loses its uniqueness
I still have hopes that they're are going to open up once you put the L pads back and retain the sub bass of the new drivers. Someone said something similar on the previous messages

May 27, 2021 at 2:18 PM Post #47,546 of 65,687
Because Geekria pads are $10-$20 with "free" shipping, while BA pads are up to $200 after shipping and brokerage: DHL nailed me for about $50 when I bought them. I thought the Geekria G pad came close to the BA large pad I had, minus the comfort. For the price of the BA pads, you can buy a SR225x, or a huge assortment of various $10-$20 foam pads to try out, other than the official Grado G pad, which is $55.
Agree 100% with you. People should buy cheaper foam pads and try them out, because they change drastically the sound signature.

I just complained because I think the Geekria L pads are the worst possible choice if you want Grado sound, but I understand that's exactly the what they intended

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #47,547 of 65,687
Which should I choose? The sr80x or sr125x? Apart from the cable, is there any substantial difference?
Nobody knows yet. Someone would need to get both and then test them. It'd be very easy to blind test with the help of a friend, as they'll feel exactly the same on the head.

What Grado claimed the SR125e had over the SR80e (the previous generation) was that it used higher-quality "ultra-high purity long crystal" copper for the driver voice coil. However, what affects the sound isn't necessarily the quality of the copper, but its thickness and the amount of winding. What Grado does to its SR125x drivers over the SR80x drivers is ultimately a trade secret unless someone does a teardown inspection.

The SR125e was never popular. People who wanted a plastic Grado got the SR80e (because it was $99) or they got the SR225e ($200), the most tricked-out model. Now that the SR60x is the same price as the old SR80e, the important comparison is SR60x vs. SR225x.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #47,548 of 65,687
May 27, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #47,549 of 65,687

I was looking at the B.A website and I'm unsure which pads I would buy , I'm concerned the small merino pads would present to much bass & kill that Grado mid sparkle , so maybe the small Hybrids would provide best balance.
Then there is the larger pads which I assume are for the G-Cush Grado models.

Edit.......These pads are quite costly , it's not like you can try a few of them and keep the best (unless you are minted).
I've got a box full of cheap L-cush from eBay , some sound wonderful , some not.

Last edited:
May 27, 2021 at 3:41 PM Post #47,550 of 65,687
Try Post 18,423 and surrounding posts, page 1229:

Here

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/grado-fan-club.530965/post-10876796

As the discussion was around September 13, 2014, or 80 months ago, illustration graphic has gone, though there is space for it, and the reference made to it.

Eagerly awaiting my “lot of likes!”
I wonder where that image is. I've seen it somewhere else, but a couple months ago I tried to find it, and I couldn't. I think it was probably in another forum, reddit, or somewhere. I also tried finding it in archive.org, but came up empty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back